Easiest car to get into and out of

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife badly injured her foot recently and has a long recovery ahead. 6 months of PT and shockwave therapy, then possible surgery and another 6 months. She is having a hard time climbing into the F150 4x4 (even with a box to step on) . She drives it like a "sports truck".

I'm thinking of purchasing a car that is easy for her to get into and out of. Also needs to have enough room for a foot in a large plastic boot. I'm 100% sure she'd hate the appliance nature of a Camry or similar.

Suggestions?

I hate to say this, but my family looked into a similar vehicle for elderly parents who have arthritis, as well as hip and knee issues. Toyota Venza worked for us.

I hurt my left leg two years ago, and had to wear a leg immobilizer for one week. I was then allowed to drive without it.

My Hyundai Santa Fe GLS with the seat moved back on the passenger side did well for me. My daughter's 2011 Subaru Outback would have done fine also.

I would think anything with a driver's seat height that minimized how far up or down her rear needed to move during ingress/egress would be the ticket. Depending on her height, something CUV-ish is probably what you're after.

Sorry to hear about your wife's injured foot. Bought my wife a base 2017 Rogue Sport S about 2 yrs. ago. I can tell you it is a very easy in and out w/VERY comfortable seats. Great ride. You may not like the CVT nor the small 2L engine. We find the car more than adequate. ALSO, it does not have the AEB braking system! All the 2018/19's have this feature standard. Thank goodness our base S does not. Perhaps a used Toyota Rav4 w/the 3.5 V6. Not that's a rocket ship. Would satisfy her "sport" driving desire completely!

My parents swear by my dad's Mazda 5 over everything. I tend to agree. All four seats next to a door work extremely well for the elderly people they go to church with. Enough so those people tend to ask them for rides over others due to comfort. The front seats in the Mazda CX3 are pretty close, but my parents also like the way the Kia Soul felt for seating position in the front.

1st, sorry to hear and hoping for a quick recovery.

Originally Posted by fsdork
I would think anything with a driver's seat height that minimized how far up or down her rear needed to move during ingress/egress would be the ticket. Depending on her height, something CUV-ish is probably what you're after.

My first thought also...

If it's the left foot, then a CX-5 is comparatively fun to drive and may have the footwell room.

I had occasion to rent a Dodge Challenger and was impressed with how easy the access was.

I was impressed with other things about the vehicle but those would be off topic.....

If you have a CarMax near you, that would be worth a visit in this situation. I'm thinking a vehicle that doesn't have seats with sporty side bolsters is the way to go.

Originally Posted by mazdamonky
My parents swear by my dad's Mazda 5 over everything. I tend to agree. All four seats next to a door work extremely well for the elderly people they go to church with. Enough so those people tend to ask them for rides over others due to comfort. The front seats in the Mazda CX3 are pretty close, but my parents also like the way the Kia Soul felt for seating position in the front.

My choice would be the Mazda 5 as well. Very easy to get in and out.
CUV's and Small SUV's fit the bill...

Originally Posted by spasm3
I'm thinking crown vic or grand marquis.
Or most any American car of around the early 1950s.

My best advice is to look for a luxury car with an ingress/egress feature.

In my Phaeton, the seat moved back and the steering wheel tilted up when the car was turned off. After starting, they both moved back into the driving position.

Toyota Avalon maybe? Plenty of room and the steering wheel moves up and the seat moves back when the drivers door is opened then returns to your preset when started. If only for the short term, you might consider a used Avalon then sell it when she recovers. Best of luck to your wife as she recovers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back