good list of oils w/ chrysler ms-6395

Status
Not open for further replies.
once again I acquired a mopar vehicle, leftover 2018 dodge journey with 2.4L 4-banger & 4-speed auto trans; engine oil spec is 5w-20 with chrysler ms-6395 certification...anyone know of a good list of oils with ms-6395 so I am not chasing my tail like I've been since 2011 when I bought my first mopar; new vehicle = using oils with chrysler spec

so far I know that pennzoil, quaker state, and valvoline all have formulations with the chrysler spec...any mobil or castrol products?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kmrcstintn
...anyone know of a good list of oils with ms-6395 so I am not chasing my tail

I thought ALL current API-rated oils met that spec pretty easily?

In the Mobil line, only the Super High Mileage (blue cap) and the Super (red cap) are showing up as meeting the MS-6395 spec. I believe their Super Synthetic also used to meet it, but it appears that has lapsed.

These and Chevron Supreme have been my go-to oils for this spec.

My wife has the short-lived 4.0 V6 in her 2007 Pacifica. It's sort of a pain to chase down oil that meets this spec when you know there are many others that could easily meet it. We have a lifetime warranty (that was actually honored with some engine work early this year), so it is a hoop I continue to jump through.

Originally Posted by Linctex
I thought ALL current API-rated oils met that spec pretty easily?

This... 6395 isn't that stringent of a spec.

Pretty much every oil CAN meet 6395, whether or not they choose to is a different story. SOPUS is your easiest bet given their contract with FCA. Valvoline, as you mentioned, also has the spec. Mobil is mostly a miss, since they lost the contract with FCA. Most house oils will show the cert also.

In truth, it's harder to find an oil that doesn't meet the spec. Similar to the now obsolete GM6094.

Originally Posted by HawkeyeScott
In the Mobil line, only the Super High Mileage (blue cap) and the Super (red cap) are showing up as meeting the MS-6395 spec. I believe their Super Synthetic also used to meet it, but it appears that has lapsed.

These and Chevron Supreme have been my go-to oils for this spec.

My wife has the short-lived 4.0 V6 in her 2007 Pacifica. It's sort of a pain to chase down oil that meets this spec when you know there are many others that could easily meet it. We have a lifetime warranty (that was actually honored with some engine work early this year), so it is a hoop I continue to jump through.

It may also depend on your dealership. Mine knows I use Mobil 1 frequently and they've said they are perfectly fine with it. They know it could meet that standard with both arms tied behind its back. I doubt FCA would give trouble, either with an oil that meets their required API specs.

Originally Posted by RamFan
Pretty much every oil CAN meet 6395, whether or not they choose to is a different story. SOPUS is your easiest bet given their contract with FCA. Valvoline, as you mentioned, also has the spec. Mobil is mostly a miss, since they lost the contract with FCA. Most house oils will show the cert also.

In truth, it's harder to find an oil that doesn't meet the spec. Similar to the now obsolete GM6094.

Mobil 1 told me that FCA won't offer it to them for M1. Politics. They did Mobil Super because it isn't the top tier competitor for Sopus' flagship products like Mobil 1 is.

Originally Posted by tiger862
Chrysler Spec.

Good find, thanks for sharing!
thumbsup2.gif

SOPUS:
PYB/PGB/PP/PUP
QSGB/QSUD
Formula Shell/Formula Shell Synthetic
RGT

BP:
Castrol Edge(s)

Ashland:
VWB/Synpower

Warren:
MAG1 Syn Blend/MAG1 Synthetic

ENEOS:
Eneos Synthetic

Chevron:
Havoline/Havoline Synthetic
Supreme

Mobil:
Super Synthetic

Amsoil:
OE/XL

Schaeffer:
9004 Synthetic

Mopar:
Maxpro

Kendall:
GT1 family

Royal Purple:
Regular Synthetic

Phillips 66:
Shield Choice

Any of these, cheapest one you can find.

Usually the cheapest I can find are

CONVENTIONAL: Havoline (6qt boxes @ walmart.com) , Formula Shell (Check Home Depot/Walmart)

SYN BLEND: Mag 1 (govets.com), Chevron Supreme (walmart.com), Shield Choice (sales all the time depending on location)

SYNTHETIC: Mag 1 (govets.com), RGT (idk if rebates still going, I dont do them but if so, fairly cheap), Havoline ProDS (6qt box, walmart.com) and QSUD (Walmart)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
SOPUS:
PYB/PGB/PP/PUP
QSGB/QSUD
Formula Shell/Formula Shell Synthetic
RGT

BP:
Castrol Edge(s)

Ashland:
VWB/Synpower

Warren:
MAG1 Syn Blend/MAG1 Synthetic

ENEOS:
Eneos Synthetic

Chevron:
Havoline/Havoline Synthetic
Supreme

Mobil:
Super Synthetic

Amsoil:
OE/XL

Schaeffer:
9004 Synthetic

Mopar:
Maxpro

Kendall:
GT1 family

Royal Purple:
Regular Synthetic

Phillips 66:
Shield Choice

Any of these, cheapest one you can find.

Usually the cheapest I can find are

CONVENTIONAL: Havoline (6qt boxes @ walmart.com) , Formula Shell (Check Home Depot/Walmart)

SYN BLEND: Mag 1 (govets.com), Chevron Supreme (walmart.com), Shield Choice (sales all the time depending on location)

SYNTHETIC: Mag 1 (govets.com), RGT (idk if rebates still going, I dont do them but if so, fairly cheap), Havoline ProDS (6qt box, walmart.com) and QSUD (Walmart)

. thanks...gives me a good list to reference

I've compared ILSAC GF-5 and MS6395 specs... they're essentially the same, except one calls for a 2 year fleet test. It's also not required to maintain the warranty.

That being said, I run Mobil 1 and Pennzoil in both my Dodge and Chrysler.

Although it is not clear which ones of the oils in GumbyJarvis's list actually test against the specification and report it properly that it is met. Some of the blenders on that list obfuscate that spec just like they do others, in that are only "recommended for" the application. ExxonMobil clearly states which product has the specification, there are some that do not actually carry the spec but wish you to believe they do.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Although it is not clear which ones of the oils in GumbyJarvis's list actually test against the specification and report it properly that it is met. Some of the blenders on that list obfuscate that spec just like they do others, in that are only "recommended for" the application. ExxonMobil clearly states which product has the specification, there are some that do not actually carry the spec but wish you to believe they do.

That is actually mostly correct. Most of the time, mfgrs say "meets or exceeds Chrysler MS 6394."

The only guarantees on this list are mostly all the Sopus choices and the Mopar choice (obviously)

Rotella Gas Truck does intrigue me. How does a less than year old product meet the two year test period (which I believe is tested in Vegas Taxis?)

I would probably say Castrol is telling the truth, as Edge EP and Edge are both good and cite the spec, yet Ultraclean GTX and Magnatec 5w20 have no mentioning of meeting it. BP more than likely only paid for the two Edges to be tested for some reason.

There are also some brands, such as Valvoline, that "meet the spec" but their sister oils (NAPA) apparently do not. Same goes with Warren Distributions Mag1 meeting it, but Accel and their private labels do not mention it.

Anyways use the list, go to the brands websites, use their TDS or look on the bottles, this is usually what I've seen that mentions anything Chrysler on the sites or bottle.

Hopefully that list will kill the questions of what oil to use for this spec for future posters.

Last edited:
Sounds like a big win for taxi cab companies in Vegas! Free oil changes if you run Mopar vehicles for 2 years. I read the PDF and other than the taxi test, It's just API/ILSAC oil. I wouldn't bother, either as an oil company or consumer.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Sounds like a big win for taxi cab companies in Vegas! Free oil changes if you run Mopar vehicles for 2 years. I read the PDF and other than the taxi test, It's just API/ILSAC oil. I wouldn't bother, either as an oil company or consumer.

I'd bother other than the fact that Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Mopar dealers are generally trash. Theyll usually find any excuse NOT to do a recall or warranty work.

I think I've mentioned here before, I had a horn that quit working on a 2013 Dart at about 17k miles, 2 years in. Was told by MOPAR vehicle protection that its covered under warranty. Scheduled an appointment, got it fixed. Was handed a 700$ bill, said "no its covered under warranty"
They tried saying "Since you installed a Cold Air Intake, it voids your warranty (which ironically was a Mopar CAI)"

Yeah. I didn't spend 700$, it came down to some yelling, and threats, and yeah.

I coulda seen them charging me 700$ for all the drinks, coffee, and snacks I ate in the waiting area as I was there for 12 hours for a new horn to be installed but that's off topic.

I've seen good dealers and bad dealers. Before I'd sway from using something not MS6395, I'd call
Mopar vehicle protection @ 1-800-521-9922 and make sure to get a letter or email saying what you're doing is okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back