Finally Back After Moving

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't been here for a while, because we have been in the process of moving from our old house in Glendale, Az. to our new home in Lake Havasu City, Az. It has been a long, difficult process, but one that will be ultimately worth the time, cost, and effort. I totally underestimated the amount of stuff I had to move, and the weight. A lot of it was personal stuff like firearms, ammunition, handloading supplies, reloading equipment, and other things that you don't care to trust to movers.

2, 12' U-Haul trailers, plus a 20' U-Haul truck, along with professional movers, and we're finally here! I made a total of 8 trips back and forth at 400 miles a crack round trip. The movers finally delivered the last of it yesterday. And just now I finally got my Internet and Wi-Fi up and running. This was without question the most physically demanding thing I've ever done. Both my wife and I are in our mid 60's, and did everything ourselves with no help. (Except for the movers taking the larger furniture we could not handle). But now that it's all over, it was worth the effort.

Lake Havasu City is a nice town that is just large enough, (53,000 population), without all of the big city gridlock, crime, and problems. The house we purchased is about the same size in living space. But the garage is much larger. We went from a standard HOT, small, 2 car, 525 sq. ft. garage, to a 3 car, boat deep, 984 sq. ft. evaporator cooled one, with an epoxy coated floor. This thing is big enough to exercise my dog in. Plenty of room for everything, plus all 3 of our vehicles.

Now all that's left is to unpack and get organized, which we can do at our own pace. Lake Havasu has a very nice gun club, as does Kingman, (about 50 miles north of Lake Havasu City). As soon as the cooler weather comes, I'll be spending a lot of time there. They have rifle, pistol, plus Trap & Skeet, as well as a Sporting Clays course. I can also shoot my .50 BMG there, and in Kingman also. They have a 1,000 yard range available.

And it's really nice look out over the top of my monitor at the lake. I can see well into California. The vastness of the Mohave Desert is really impressive. Anyway, I'm sure we will enjoy life a lot more here. We've been planning this since I retired almost 5 years ago, but couldn't find the house we were looking for. When we finally did we jumped on it. At my age I didn't want to buy into a project. This place is in perfect shape. Nothing left to do but enjoy.

I agree. Moving is a real chore and especially in the later years.

Enjoy your new home. It sounds great.

Nice, congrads! I'm just starting my move, but as it's all of 6 miles, will just be using a small enclosed trailer and a lot of sweat on my part. Already tossed an old sofa and was reminded that 40 ... is in the past. Helping my parents move 1,000 miles 10 years ago seems so distant now; they did a couple of 26' U-Hauls for their move (granted they were not quite full, but as you could guess, better to have too much truck than too little).

Congrats on the move. I spent some time in Glendale back in the day. I'm sure Lake Havasu area is a lot more picturesque.

Sounds like a great spot, enjoy!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Chris142
Boy does it get hot there though! I'm considering moving to AZ sometime in the future.

Yes it does. I made most of my trips at night to avoid the heat. At night it gets into the low 90's, and sometimes the high 80's. Yesterday however I hade to make the trip in the hottest part of the afternoon, because I was racing the movers here to arrive before they did. When I got into town the thermometer at the London Bridge said 120F. But the humidity was very low. It made Phoenix feel like Orlando in comparison.

Today it's quite nice. One of the very few days we have overcast here. It does help keep the temperature down. By the end of September it starts cooling off nicely. Normally I don't mind desert Summers, but after moving in this heat, I will be looking forward to some cooler weather.

Moving can be easy if you do it the right way. Toss out all the junk you've accumulated over the years that is no longer necessary. Forget about the thought that "we might need it". There will be a thing or two that you will need in the years to come, but it is a small fraction of all of the junk that will likely never be needed again.

No need to overload the new house with old furniture to fill up every available empty spot in the place. Call up the folks from 1-800-get-junk to haul it away. Some of your stuff can be sold for maybe half of what you think it should be worth. Most old furniture is close to worthless.

No thanks! Way too hot for my blood pressures liking and world class super sized rattlesnakes; I will pass. Would maybe go when the high is in the 70's and you need a blanket or a sheet at night.

...and this is why for a decade, I just slept on the floor in a 400sf apartment and only had a chair, and computer desk for furniture. When I moved to my house? I did it all in half a dozen trips in my CX5, lol! My co-workers were aghast that I lived like I did, and yes, my dating life was interesting because of it, but I also used it to prove that it's not about "nice things", but rather, who you are.

Originally Posted by Ws6
...and this is why for a decade, I just slept on the floor in a 400sf apartment and only had a chair, and computer desk for furniture.

That's great if it worked for you.

Personally, I'd rather not sleep on the floor for 10 years, even if it means moving will be more of a hassle.

Welcome back, Bill!

Glad the move is behind you.

Sounds like a great place you've got now.

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by billt460
I totally underestimated the amount of stuff I had to move, and the weight. A lot of it was personal stuff like firearms, ammunition, handloading supplies, reloading equipment, and other things that you don't care to trust to movers.

Have you ever lived in Perfection, Nevada?
wink.gif

Originally Posted by vavavroom
Originally Posted by billt460
I totally underestimated the amount of stuff I had to move, and the weight. A lot of it was personal stuff like firearms, ammunition, handloading supplies, reloading equipment, and other things that you don't care to trust to movers.

Have you ever lived in Perfection, Nevada?
wink.gif

I've seen it. Perfection is a matter of prospective and that place is a perfect example.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by Ws6
...and this is why for a decade, I just slept on the floor in a 400sf apartment and only had a chair, and computer desk for furniture.

That's great if it worked for you.

Personally, I'd rather not sleep on the floor for 10 years, even if it means moving will be more of a hassle.

Meh. I'm 33 now, that was in my 20's. Maybe you're older. Maybe I just don't care as much. To each their own
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Ws6
it's not about "nice things", but rather, who you are.

^^Absolutely right on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back