My truck has driven to the moon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jagdriver727

Site Donor 2021
The Eagle has landed.
My odometer rolled 238,900 tonight, which as I understand it is the moon's average distance from Earth.
It's a 2002 Ford Ranger XLT with the 3.0L V6 and a 5R44E automatic. About the least desirable mechanical configuration for an early ‘00s Ranger, but it has served me well, and will continue to do so for a long time.
Everything works as it should. I have not had so much as a CEL in over 30,000 miles.
Now for the obligatory pics (don't laugh, I'm not a car photographer)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

i wouldnt say the least desirable...the 3 liter is a great engine, decent mileage with a lil power. its much better served with a manual but great job with your mileage. truck still looks good.

I had a 1989 Ranger XLT with auto trans and the 2.9 Liter. My Dad bought it new and sold it to me in 2002 with 72,000 miles. The transmission went at 269,000 miles, debated and had it rebuilt. By September, 2017 let it go with 336,000 miles, still original engine. The thing I miss the most is the R-12 Air Conditioning, It was totally superior to my now R-134 system. Every time I bought tires I kept telling myself they will outlast the truck, finally did!!! It was a great truck until there was finally too much wrong to justify the expense.

Scott

Driven to the moon and back, and with an instrument cluster that looks like it might've been on the Apollo command module to boot. I love the green backlight- it's a classic look in my book.

Looks great, very clean! Those Rangers are just solid trucks with a classic look. My buddy had a 2001 with the 4.0 and he sold it at 200k but it had lots of life left in it still. I drove it on several long road trips we went on and it didn't miss a beat. It rode fairly well for being an extended cab truck with the offroad package. I like the black wheels with the silver!

Originally Posted by cdlamb
but does it love you "to the moon & back" lol

Yes! Unless it is seriously wrecked or stolen, this truck will see a half million for sure. When the 3.0 dies, it will be replaced with a 302 from a '90s Explorer and a 5 speed manual. Already have the parts set aside
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by justintendo
the 3 liter is a great engine, decent mileage with a lil power. its much better served with a manual.

Power of a 4 cylinder with the gas mileage of a V8, but it is very dependable. I regretted not choosing a manual by the time I drove it home. But with how their sales and rebates were going that month, a V6 automatic with power everything and bucket seats was cheaper than a 4 cyl 5 speed with crank windows, vinyl bench seat and vinyl flooring.
Originally Posted by andyd
What ever you're doing. Don't alter it.
grin2.gif

Meticulous maintenance by the book, except for a 7.5-10k OCI on various (cheap) synthetics. I own a shop and have personally been the only one to work on it except for occasionally balancing tires and some of the alignments.
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Did you buy it new?

Depends on how you define "new," it had 28 miles on the odometer at delivery. A couple of test drives before me, I guess.
Originally Posted by JustN89
I love the green backlight- it's a classic look in my book.

And it's MUCH easier to read than all the new obnoxious glowing digital ones are. Just my opinion

Thanks to all you commenting on how clean the truck looks, it gets a full detail at each oil change and washed every week or so.
I have kept a service log since new, it has been remarkably trouble-free. I tested compression when I replaced the spark plugs last, at 210k it had ~135psi across the board. Uses very little oil and the transmission fluid always drains looking clean. It is ready for all the ball joints to be replaced for the second time, plan to do it next week. I have been incredibly happy with this little truck, if I could buy the same truck new today I would. Except I don't need it
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Do you think the 2020 Ranger will be that trouble free?

I'll probably never own one, for sure not brand new, but I sincerely doubt they will come close. They are solid trucks, but I have first-hand experience with electronics causing all sorts of issues on newer cars, and I just can't see them lasting 20 years with as little trouble as mine has given me. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Nice work by you. It's something to be proud of. Do you think the 2020 Ranger will be that trouble free?

thumbsup2.gif
The jury is out on the 2020 Ranger, we'll have to wait a few years and see.

That's awesome and look how clean it is!

I didn't realize anything still had a mechanical ODO in 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back