2 codes

Status
Not open for further replies.
1997 oldsmobile 88-3.8L

2 codes set are p0102 and P0401. The MAF(p0102) was set on sunday and then CEL went off, the P0401 came on this morning- 2 days after the MAF.

Related or unrelated? ie could there be a problem in wiring?

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&channel=cus&q=p0102+code

https://www.google.com/search?clien...WRmBp0Q7xYILCgA&biw=1008&bih=508

Sounds like Mass Airflow& Exhaust Gas Recirculation ..

I am no expert , but I can not think of any connection except the short time interval between the 2 codes .

If it was me , I would probably start out , VERY CAREFULLY cleaning the MAF sensor . Make sure its connector is securely plugged in , the wiring is in good condition and it is getting power at the connector .

Reset / clear the codes . Go drive it and see what happens . If the MAF code comes back , you may have to replace it .

In the mean time , is the EGR valve electrically or vacuum actuated ? If electrical , make sure its connector is securely plugged in , the wiring is in good condition and it is getting power at the connector , when necessary .

If vacuum , check the conditions of the vacuum line , looking & listening for leaks .

Go test drive , after clearing / erasing codes . If the EGR valve is sticking , try to free it up . Replace as necessary .

Go to youtube and search for videos on these problems .

Best of luck to you , :)

You may need to pull the egr valve and physically inspect that the passages are clear of soot and that it will physically move when an electrical/vacuum signal is applied to it. Good Luck!

went to check that i had torx bit size and i guess it's metric for the maf sensor...

t20 is too small and t25 is too big.

do they make metric security torx bits? or is it standard?

Last edited:
call off the search
smirk2.gif

after i put me glasses on, i see that last person borrowed by torx bits, broke the tip on the t20, i'll get a new one at lunch

i won't work on stuff with out glasse any more !
grin2.gif

RockAuto.com is showing the MAF for ~ $41 - $ 160 , then add freight . The AC Delco being the most expensive .

The EGR valve is close to that price .

If you have no luck " repairing / cleaning " the original parts .

Best of luck to you , :)

thanks, i got a cheapy set of security torx bits and pulled the maf and cleaned with maf sensor spray per instructions on can.
reset codes, will see what happens...

update:

The maf cleaning cured the maf code, but the egr insufficient flow code came back.
i took vehicle to my local mechanic and he put an egr valve from the local carquest.
The code returned and after debating for a while I went ahead and ordered and AC Delco valve myself and replaced the valve.
Its been 4 days and so far no code..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back