Nissan Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's dated but a solid work horse. What's the BITOG opinion on this truck? The GM 8 speed transmission is still a concern as GM has yet to fix it, which makes me hesitant on buying a Colorado. It's not the nicest truck but the Frontier's simplicity can be viewed as its strength.

Originally Posted by buster
It's dated but a solid work horse. What's the BITOG opinion on this truck? The GM 8 speed transmission is still a concern as GM has yet to fix it, which makes me hesitant on buying a Colorado. It's not the nicest truck but the Frontier's simplicity can be viewed as its strength.

I prefer an older reliable basic design.

The GM 8 speed transmission has lots of complaints.

Like you say, the drivetrain, chassis and pretty much everything on this truck has been around a very long time. I know on my FILs 2017 Frontier crew cab, long bed/wheel base 4x4, all the mechanicals have a means to drain/fill. The 5spd AT still has a dipstick, etc. The engine bay is packed tight. The interior fit/finish/feel is to me, like an early 1990s Nissan, which is a great thing IMO.

The bads as you probably know are, it gets full sized V8 powered truck fuel economy, there isn't a lot of legroom if you're a tall driver and the turning radius is horrific.

The reason why my retired FIL bought his used (ex rental) in 2018 was, they had such good luck with them as work vehicles where he worked, he loves them.

The more I read about this truck the more I like. I'm not one to care much about technology in cars and all the fuel economy aspects of modern trucks. The bullet proof reliability due to its dated powertrain is a plus to me. I drove the Tacoma yesterday and it was horrendous.

I've had them as rentals, they are very crude and utilitarian. That can be a selling point...it's all in how you're going to use the truck. If you're looking for a comfortable highway cruiser or something for long trips, I would not recommend a Frontier. For short trips or a work truck, it's a good choice.

Powertrain is excellent, but it is thirsty and the turning radius requires a football field.

..... I drove the Tacoma yesterday and it was horrendous.

People love them, but I agree. The FIL used to use Tacomas and Tundras as company vehicles. I too much prefer to be in and drive the Frontier over a Tacoma except for when it comes to parking. The Frontier sucks when you need to tight turn. They never had problems with the Toyotas, but the cost of them and the fuel economy drove them to the Frontier, which proved to be excellent trucks for them as well.

Last edited:
All depends on what you'll be doing with it. Sounds like the Frontier might be a good fit for your mission spec. Scotty Kilmer likes them, if his opinion is to be trusted. They do seem to be solid old school trucks that can be easy to maintain.

They're solid trucks, although build quality suffered when they moved production from Smyrna to Canton. But at this point they have worked out the engine issues that plagued earlier 2nd gens. I had a '07 and it had engine issues; I traded it off as it wasn't worth it (truck was rode hard by previous owner unbeknownst to me when I bought it). It does have really good power, fuel mileage is meh at best though. Turning radius is about like a dump truck.

Buddy of mine has a ~2012 Xterra Pro4X with the same underpinnings. He has around 175K on it and hasn't had to do any unscheduled maintenance aside from O2 sensors last month. He had the water pump and timing chains done around 150K voluntarily though they were still in great shape. Interior is holding up good, only thing different is he swapped the head unit for a Pioneer with Android Auto. Still has the original front suspension in good shape which is unheard of around here with that mileage and our wonderful PennDOT roads.

It gets whatever conventional his mechanic uses every 5K and has had the trans serviced three times. I think the only big thing to look for on these trucks is the transmission cooler in the radiator, I know older ones were prone to splitting inside and mixing ATF and coolant. By the time you noticed it the trans was usually already toast. A lot of people fix that as soon as their warranty is up by bypassing the radiator cooler with an aftermarket unit.

I personally have no problem fitting up front but I'm only 5'7", my buddy doesn't complain about it and he's 6'. The back seat is torture for anything more than half an hour though, don't know if the Frontier's crew cab is any bigger. Overall, they're the oldest design on the market but have proven durable. If I was buying another truck today I'd probably go get one for those very reasons.

Thanks for the information. So would the 2019's be based on the same proven platform? I'm going to drive one today or tomorrow. Local dealer doesn't have the Pro-4x so I may go to another dealer to drive one.

Yeah, it looks like the 2019s are the same old. An SV with options, an SL or a midnight addition might fit your needs/wants. Pro-4Xs are cool, but I've never seen one for less than the high $30K range (sticker). Not my thing for that price.

My brother has been driving a new frontier since last year. He is very tall and to be kind his wife is not small. They fit in their with their 60 pound dog, no problems.

Attractive pricing and suits his needs very well.

Mini 6 month review 5,600 miles:

Pro's
Great off-road. I had it in the Pine Barrens and beach several times.
Seating position is nice and high compared to Tacoma
Low end torque is great
Trans shifting is sharp and on point. Never hunts
So far so good reliability
Can run any oil without a problem (currently 4k on RGT)
Proven powetrain, non GDI.

Cons
Horrendous gas mileage. I drive all local and 7 miles to work. I'm not doing a hand calculation which is more accurate but per the computer read out its around 14.5-15 mpg.
Interior plastics are a bit cheap looking however they are easy to clean
Transmission is a bit finicky around 35-45mph when the torque converter locks up. (I often turn O/D off when driving under 45 mph locally)

I enjoy having this truck and I've been using it a lot as intended. I've moved a lot of furniture and also some bushes/plants. I've also taken it off road. I don't beat on it at all though. It's still factory new. My plan has been to keep the truck 3 years then eventually move back into something more economical - Crosstrek and CX-30 on high on my list.

I would recommend this truck for those that just wan a TRUCK with no gimmicks.

FWIW I have 2 employees with new Tacos and they only get about 15 MPG even with that Atkinson/ miller cycle combo mill, and they are dogs to boot.

The Frontier is a great truck.

UD

Mini 6 month review 5,600 miles:

Pro's
Great off-road. I had it in the Pine Barrens and beach several times.
Seating position is nice and high compared to Tacoma
Low end torque is great
Trans shifting is sharp and on point. Never hunts
So far so good reliability
Can run any oil without a problem (currently 4k on RGT)
Proven powetrain, non GDI.

Cons
Horrendous gas mileage. I drive all local and 7 miles to work. I'm not doing a hand calculation which is more accurate but per the computer read out its around 14.5-15 mpg.
Interior plastics are a bit cheap looking however they are easy to clean
Transmission is a bit finicky around 35-45mph when the torque converter locks up. (I often turn O/D off when driving under 45 mph locally)

I enjoy having this truck and I've been using it a lot as intended. I've moved a lot of furniture and also some bushes/plants. I've also taken it off road. I don't beat on it at all though. It's still factory new. My plan has been to keep the truck 3 years then eventually move back into something more economical - Crosstrek and CX-30 on high on my list.

I would recommend this truck for those that just wan a TRUCK with no gimmicks.

Very much in-line with the complaints from the guys at work that own them. The turning radius and the fuel mileage are both hideous, but the trucks are reliable and quite serviceable.

thumbsup2.gif

My sister owned an earlier vintage and made it to 220 K with no major repairs and aside from normal maintenance she only had one sensor that had to be replaced. I would expect the same for yours…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back