Concrete driveway expansion joint repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fishing for experiences with the products out there. Older driveway, no cracks, just the boards are rotting. Probably 50' linear feet to maybe all of it-100'? I can hammer in the Slabgasket stuff my (retired) self-but should I? I would prefer it look professional as opposed to what I might end up with, and be digging it out 3 years from now.

I bought some samples of TRIM-A-SLAB to put in the drive way ans see how it held up. 5 years later it still looks the same as I put in there. Recommend the black instead of the gray. The gray gets black mold dots on it that dont pressure wash off.

We have a joint that cracked and the actual section of concrete would rise up when driven upon. A couple of years ago I used a flexible sealer made by Sikaflex. It has held up well.

In the 60's concrete contractors used tar based expansion joints. Later came the fiber ones. In the sandy NC soil they use pressure treated wood. Using a sealant for that much space isn't practical. Good luck. It's a nice retirement task.

I've only seen the tar 'felts' used here, but more recently folks have used the various brands of self leveling 'caulks'. Some I've seen finished with wider gaps of 1-2". I've used it for gaps of about 1/2" with good results, but none done over a few years ago, so l don't know about longer term viability. Good luck!

Thanks all, good tip on the black instead of grey. I'm going to get the sample pack, and a few estimates. Would summer be a good time to do it or should I wait for more average temps, so the gap width is mid way?

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
In the 60's concrete contractors used tar based expansion joints. Later came the fiber ones. In the sandy NC soil they use pressure treated wood. Using a sealant for that much space isn't practical. Good luck. It's a nice retirement task.

What you do in the case of wide gaps is fill it with closed-cell foam backing (.5-1 inch in diameter) and then apply the sealant on top of it. Works quite well.

In the 60's concrete contractors used tar based expansion joints. .

I need to pour a slab soon - are the tar based ones still available? They seem to hold up the best (I really don't know)

Originally Posted by rekit
Thanks all, good tip on the black instead of grey. I'm going to get the sample pack, and a few estimates. Would summer be a good time to do it or should I wait for more average temps, so the gap width is mid way?

Summer is fine of course all products like this have minimum temps.

Originally Posted by Linctex
In the 60's concrete contractors used tar based expansion joints. .

I need to pour a slab soon - are the tar based ones still available? They seem to hold up the best (I really don't know)

They should be available at masonry or concrete supply yards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back