Valvoline Premium Blue 10w30 Moly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, I discovered this site in 2004 and it is the #1 site for lubrication information thanks to everyone here. I use the VPB in my Jeep 4.0, as well as T5 and Motorcraft super duty all 10W/30. From reading on here, and the PQIA, (PQIA had nothing on VPB in 10w) none of these HDDO have moly in the formulation, but i was curious about VPB. Called Valvoline, they couldn't answer the question on the spot. They emailed me last week saying that the 10w/30 contains approx. 50ppm of Moly. From what i gather, as long as the other anti wear adds and detergent level is approx. the same in all 3 of these brands, the VPB may have the edge in anti wear with the small amount of Moly. All the stuff i have is CK-4 according to the API circle on the back.

Why does 50 ppm moly mean that VPB has the edge in wear?
Why do you think that all three brands have approximately the same detergent levels?

Considering the OP only has one other post and it also is promoting Valvoline I'd say there is something else going on here.

PYB is great stuff, HM is good too. Zinc/Phosphorous lower than HDDO. I use that and QS conventional/blend and UD in synthetic. I learned how good they are from BITOG.

Originally Posted by 762fermeandyou
info gathered from this site and PQIA. Approximates.

Approximates? No, the values should be accurate unless the manufacturer's process is variable. But that shouldn't be since it could violate their API certification.

kschachn, I will get a kit and send out for a UOA when the mileage is up and post it. Bring some facts to the table. Ken.

I'm sorry, what did I say that was inaccurate?

kschachn, MAY have an edge in wear, having an additive the others don't. Reading other replies leads me to believe 50 ppm don't mean squat.

And of course you can't measure wear via a UOA.

Nothing inaccurate, I will bring facts to the table from UOA and compare wear metals to other Jeep 4.0 UOA's already collected. It will be nice to contribute something.

Nothing inaccurate, I will bring facts to the table from UOA and compare wear metals to other Jeep 4.0 UOA's already collected. It will be nice to contribute something.

The thing is that as much as people like to compare UOAs on here for wear metals, the analysis companies have all indicated that "wear" for a particular oil does not correlate to UOA results. In other words, any oil that is appropriately rated for the application gives statistically similar results in a UOA. Observed differences are due to operating conditions and the particular engine in which the oil has been utilized. This has been supported here by those members who have done extensive UOA testing.

The way you test an oil for wear properties is with much more difficult, involved and expensive tests than a $35 Blackstone analysis. Here is a good place to start to see how it is done, in particular see the Sequence IVA and IVB tests:

https://www.swri.org/passenger-car-lubricant-testing

Found this today at my surplus store
50% of sticker

9C47DB25-1739-437E-B723-9C442844D1AC.jpeg

3010933C-DFA5-4A90-ABD8-D82F15CA52C0.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back