Progressive and hail damage experiences

We had a major hail storm come through my area and drop larger than golf ball size hail, unfortunately both vehicles were parked outside.

One of the vehicles is a 2010 Impala, pretty big dings all over the hood, roof, rails above the doors, trunk deck, a few on the fenders etc. I counted at least 100.

I was planning on just taking the money as depreciation, putting it in a repair fund and living with the hail damage while I drive the wheels off.

The Progressive adjuster came out and estimated it at $1080 to repair, with $580 going to me after my deductible which seems crazy low. My neighbors vehicle which was parked 10 feet away from mine, is older with less severe damage ( chevy must use thinner metal) has been quoted $3400 by Travelers insurance.

Can I get a second opinion and submit it to progressive? Has anyone else been through this with them? I can't find much online about what to do if I feel their quotes are low. I just want a fair payout if I want to live with the damage.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Yeah that's insane. Judging by your description, the car is totaled.

they were trying not to total the car. If they do then you might have the option to buy it back from them.

Get your own estimates, the adjuster does not work for you.

Rod

Some insurance companies train and expect their adjusters to give a low ball repair estimate no body shop will accept.
Not to knock the Impala, but I imagine the insurance companies profile that vehicle to an owner that has one under XX years old as being broke and wont use the money to fix their
car. So they cut a smaller check hoping you cash it and don't actually show up at a body shop as the shop will have the adjuster come out for a reality check.

I'd have to agree that it is probably totaled as well and I'm thinking you are right on, they don't want to total it.

I guess the main question is; has anyone went to one of the approved shops and got their own quote to submit to Progressive? I don't want to waste a ton of time just for them to tell me to pound sand.

I guess I can take it in to get it fixed and have them to an adjustment to the quote, I'm sure it'll get totaled then.

Last edited:
Again, they are low balling you because progressive knows the average Impala owner will cash the check instead of getting their car fixed.

You said.
"I was planning on just taking the money as depreciation, putting it in a repair fund and living with the hail damage while I drive the wheels off."

Proves my point.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Again, they are low balling you because progressive knows the average Impala owner will cash the check instead of getting their car fixed.

You said.
"I was planning on just taking the money as depreciation, putting it in a repair fund and living with the hail damage while I drive the wheels off."

Proves my point.

Yep totally, i'd agree with your case on any older car.

My question is, has anyone ever been successful in getting them to pay out a fair amount, if so how?

If all i'm going to get is $580 to drive around a car that looks like a golf ball then yes, I absolutely will get it fixed so they can pay 6x that instead of just treating me fair from the get-go. I guess I just don't get it.... Pay me and keep a happy customer instead of trying to be cheap, or pay a body shop (probably more), doesn't matter to me.

IME, Travelers is one of the most professional companies in the industry.

Flo's offer may be a bit low and they may have quoted out a PDR job and not a real body shop repair. If you decide to proceed with the repairs, the repair facility will most likely submit a supplement.

My advice would be to first go over the estimate and look for obvious deficiencies such as no damage written on panels/mouldings what have damage and paintless dent repair written on panels with cracked paint and start talking to them about that. (assuming it is true)

If you are going to have it fixed then just pick a shop and let them deal with it, but probably no one is going to want to get into dueling estimates... as soon as you ask for an estimate the shop is going to figure you don't plan to fix it...

Did the appraiser go over the estimate with you? Was the appraiser a staff person or an Independent (just out of curiosity)...?

Reactions: GON
Originally Posted by DuckRyder
My advice would be to first go over the estimate and look for obvious deficiencies such as no damage written on panels/mouldings what have damage and paintless dent repair written on panels with cracked paint and start talking to them about that. (assuming it is true)

If you are going to have it fixed then just pick a shop and let them deal with it, but probably no one is going to want to get into dueling estimates... as soon as you ask for an estimate the shop is going to figure you don't plan to fix it...

Did the appraiser go over the estimate with you? Was the appraiser a staff person or an Independent (just out of curiosity)...?

Agreed, however, this exercise is somewhat pointless if you have any intention of having this issue fixed.

When the car arrives at the body shop, they will do any disassembly needed and then write their estimate....which is then submitted to the insurance company as a supplement.

From what I have seen, you will never get the full value of the damage unless you proceeded with the repairs.

My Subaru had hail damage after a thunderstorm. Very minor, one side of the car and the roof, nothing on the hood, which was weird. The estimate for the damage, which you could barely see unless the car was clean and the light and angle was perfect, was $ 3000.

I took a cash settlement for $ 2750 ( 3000 - 250 deductible ) , and had to sign a waiver that stated I no longer had hail coverage on the car.

Your estimate seems ridiculously low. However, how much is a 2010 Impala actually worth ? They will never pay you a penny more than the car's market value.

I had PDR done on my old corolla, it was about a thousand bucks for a few dents. 100+ dents is a totaled car.

Both times I've had an insurance claim the initial estimate was about half the actual repair cost. Both times they offered to cut me a check for that initial estimate..: take it to the body shop and tell them you're growing through insurance. They'll get you an actual quote.

Seems low IMO

We had a bad storm May 2019. A co workers mid 2000 Pontiac sedan was peppered with damage. Insurance gave him $3500 and he’s living with it. Of course YMMV.

We had a major hail storm ...

The Progressive adjuster came out and estimated it at $1080 to repair, with $580 going to me after my deductible which seems crazy low. My neighbors vehicle which was parked 10 feet away from mine, is older with less severe damage ( chevy must use thinner metal) has been quoted $3400 by Travelers insurance.

Can I get a second opinion and submit it to progressive? Has anyone else been through this with them? I can't find much online about what to do if I feel their quotes are low. I just want a fair payout if I want to live with the damage.

Thanks in advance!

Answer - Yes
You just need to go to your body repair shop and tell them to fix the car, have them contact Progressive to pay for it. (more or less get an estimate or multiple estimates)
or
You can take it to where Progressive says it can be repaired at that price, however, its your option to have it repaired wherever you want unless you have some restriction in your policy.

It sounds like you want money over repair because someone you know is getting more. But it doesnt work like that, you get what it cost to repair the vehicle and your its option to have it done or keep the money.

Back