Have all the issues been fixed in the new Tacomas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to look at Tacomas this week, but I'm also considering the Tundra. A quick internet search showed that some of the 2016-2017 Tacomas had issues. Does anyone know if they have been resolved with the current model year?

Tundras are great, but... pricey and horrible gas mileage.
You can do a lot better with a F-150 with EcoBoost.
Tundras are moving to a boosted 6, I believe.

Good luck.

for a great value a nissan frontier is hard to beat IMO. a bit low tech + NO DI because its still port injected + the frontier is a bigger mid-size for compact money!!

I know a guy with a 16 Tundra , no problems at all. But oh my god that gas mileage on the 5.7 is HORRIFIC. It's hard to believe a modern mpfi rig could be that bad. I've seen the gauge showing 11 and that's not plowing snow

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Good luck.

Yep, Taco and Tundra might be from the same zoo … but not the same animal …
All the full sized trucks offer good MPG, well made, loaded to the gills ~ and deals are out there …
I'd test drive them all and get the dealerships to compete …

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Good luck.
If you're going to be stuck paying full price for either, I would rather the F150 as well. Toyota and Honda = "Dad" trucks.
Originally Posted by benjy
for a great value a nissan frontier is hard to beat IMO. a bit low tech + NO DI because its still port injected + the frontier is a bigger mid-size for compact money!!
I would take a Taco over a Frontier without hesitation. Nissans suck!

Originally Posted by buster
I'm going to look at Tacomas this week, but I'm also considering the Tundra. A quick internet search showed that some of the 2016-2017 Tacomas had issues. Does anyone know if they have been resolved with the current model year?

I've heard the new auto trans in the Tacoma is not very good, shift points and lugging the engine. The review I read was from a rental, it might eventually learn and get better but I haven't heard.

I rent a lot of Frontiers and Tacomas. Frontier is old tech but is a very solid truck, decent comfort, decent gas mileage. I hear the pricing is low low low. The Tacomas I rent are super comfortable and all have gobs of power but the gas mileage is scary bad. Haven't topped 14 mpg yet.

Find a nice low mile 12-15 Tacoma with the 4.0, superior engine to the 3.5 it has now that came out of a minivan! And has more HP than TQ which is useless for towing.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by buster

I've heard the new auto trans in the Tacoma is not very good, shift points and lugging the engine. The review I read was from a rental, it might eventually learn and get better but I haven't heard.

It's mostly programming to try and squeeze every last bit of mileage out of it. Our Camry is like this and it drives me nuts. Heck, even the 5 speed auto in my '09 is the same way honestly; it will try and go into overdrive around town (30-35mph) I have to keep it in 4.

Toyota has been dealing with rotted out frames for the last couple of decades. Every couple of years there's a new class action lawsuit-the most recent being one affecting vehicles as new as 2011. The class action lawsuit originated in South Carolina, not exactly a rust belt area.

Despite all the Toyota fanboys, I personally wouldn't own one. It's clear that for decades they haven't been able to get even the simplest of rust prevention done right. Not only on their trucks but the body on frame SUVs.

On the Taco I've read it's quick to upshift, slow to figure out a gear when under pressure, and that the 3.5 moved the power upstairs relative to the 4.0.

I have an older Tundra but... they haven't changed in like 20 years. Just saw that there isn't a refresh for 2020 either. 2007 through 2020, not bad... nor good. I think mine is sitting around 19mpg lifetime, but it sees lots of highway driving. Online reports indicate that the smaller 4.6 isn't that much better at mpg than the 5.7 (like 1mpg) but the loss of power is noticeable. But it will get the job done--but IMO don't get the non-tow version. That smaller V8 really needs its revs. Oil change is a bit of a pain as the skidplate has to be removed to obtain access to the filter; and the filter is a cartridge design, which some here hate. Transmission is "sealed" and a bit of a pain to change fluid on. I *think* the air pump (emissions) might be figured out now, for a while that was a pricey repair. No limited slip diff though, they just pull brake lines which is a bit hoakie and IMO hasn't impressed me very much. Very often feels very much like a full sized vehicle; parking sometimes is more akin to docking a boat.

Frontier has a problem with turning radius. IIRC it's the same as my full size truck. Old school design though, which you may or may not be after. Supposedly a different driving position than the Taco.

Not sure what you are after... towing, mpg, ability to move 4x8 sheets...?

The resale value speaks for itself they are very dependable trucks.

The transmission issues were software related. I could get a manual but I'm tired of driving stick, especially in the Philly/NJ area. You also don't get crawl control in the manual TRD Off-Road version.

I just looking primarily for a mid size truck that is good off road and can carry two kids. And a smaller bed for occasional hauling.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
Toyota has been dealing with rotted out frames for the last couple of decades. Every couple of years there's a new class action lawsuit-the most recent being one affecting vehicles as new as 2011. The class action lawsuit originated in South Carolina, not exactly a rust belt area.

Despite all the Toyota fanboys, I personally wouldn't own one. It's clear that for decades they haven't been able to get even the simplest of rust prevention done right. Not only on their trucks but the body on frame SUVs.

I hate to admit it but you are correct. This weekend my parking brake decided to give up the ghost (2010 Tundra with 153k on the clock). I've been spraying this thing down on a yearly basis with Fluid Film, and you can see in the photo that the frame is fine (the rest of the frame is likewise), but rust is sneaking up on this darn thing all the same. Thankfully, the cables are fine, and I was able to disengage the brake by just moving this arm. Edit: I sprayed this mechanical bit every year too, but I guess it must have the wind blowing over it or something, as it always dries out. Go figure.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by supton
I hate to admit it but you are correct. This weekend my parking brake decided to give up the ghost (2010 Tundra with 153k on the clock). I've been spraying this thing down on a yearly basis with Fluid Film, and you can see in the photo that the frame is fine (the rest of the frame is likewise), but rust is sneaking up on this darn thing all the same. Thankfully, the cables are fine, and I was able to disengage the brake by just moving this arm. Edit: I sprayed this mechanical bit every year too, but I guess it must have the wind blowing over it or something, as it always dries out. Go figure.

Yanno I have rust in some odd places as well. Most of my truck is ok, and the frame was coated with Toyota's goop, but the engine bay is a little crusty. I initially thought it was a replacement engine, but every part inside the bay is effected. Now before the radiator it looks like a vehicle from the South, odd. Our Camry is doing the same thing, it's the darnest thing!-

Road salt up here is evil. Few months ago the shifter cable gave up on my car; same story. I kept spraying it down but it still rusted up and seized.

How is the Colorado? As loyal as I've been to Toyota, I like the look of that truck. I am just skeptical of GM quality.

The Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon seem to be among the best in the mid-size segment.

I can't speak to the 2019 Tacoma, but I had a 2016 for right around a year and 11k miles and I traded it because I couldn't stand the transmission. Luckily, because they hold their value so well, I didn't lose too much money in the deal.

In hindsight, I should've taken it on a longer test drive, but I bought it based on the Tacoma's reputation and the fact that I loved my 4Runner. Even the slightest incline would cause the Tacoma to drop 2 gears and go screaming to 4k rpm just to maintain speed. If you don't mind a high revving, and very loud engine (or you live somewhere completely flat) then the Taco might be for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back