Likely buying 2016 Explorer 2.3 Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title says, we will likely be buying a 2016 Explorer 2.3l EcoBoost. About 29k miles, AWD equipped. I know that Ford has had a slew of issues with its PTU unit, but this one has a slightly larger fluid capacity (24 oz vs 18oz), I believe because the exhaust doesn't encroach on it as much as the V6 models. Anything else to look out for? It has the same 6F35 transmission as our Fusion (which has been rebuilt twice
cry.gif
), although updated and stronger I assume. Is very nice otherwise.

I'm at 100K and I beat on my 6F35 on a daily basis. My ex had similar mileage on a Taurus with the same transmission and my driving was grandma style compared to his. I wouldn't worry about the transmission. I do support fluid changes every 30k to 60k depending on your driving style.

Originally Posted by Klutch9
It has the same 6F35 transmission as our Fusion (which has been rebuilt twice
cry.gif
), although updated and stronger I assume.

Wouldn't assume that about the transmission. If it were "upgraded and stronger", it wouldn't be a 6F35. Ford does have a 6F50 that they put in larger vehicles (or mated to larger engines) but not in this vehicle.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
It has the same 6F35 transmission as our Fusion (which has been rebuilt twice
cry.gif
), although updated and stronger I assume.

Wouldn't assume that about the transmission. If it were "upgraded and stronger", it wouldn't be a 6F35. Ford does have a 6F50 that they put in larger vehicles (or mated to larger engines) but not in this vehicle.

I disagree. At a minimum, newer years have updated software that improves shift quality and durability. Plus, it's well known that as the years go on, parts are updated as failures from previous model years are analyzed. Look at the gm 700r4->4l60->4l60e->4l65e... Or the 4r75e and it's previous versions if you want a Ford example.

Last edited:
Carcomplaints.com isn't making it look good. Having said that, it is Car COMPLAINTS .com. So owners won't be going there to write glowing reviews. Something to think about though.

Originally Posted by dogememe

I disagree. At a minimum, newer years have updated software that improves shift quality and durability. Plus, it's well known that as the years go on, parts are updated as failures from previous model years are analyzed. Look at the gm 700r4->4l60->4l60e->4l65e... Or the 4r75e and it's previous versions if you want a Ford example.

His point and you make it with your GM example is as the tranny evolves and gets upgraded the name changes... If the Ford tranny still has the same 6F35 designation how much has changed internally?

I think that the 2.3T is a better choice than the 3.5 l V6 - if I'm not mistaken, the 3.5 is transversely-mounted, and to allow the engine to fit sideways, the water pump is internal and driven by the timing chain. WP failure often results in coolant in the oil.

Originally Posted by Number_35
I think that the 2.3T is a better choice than the 3.5 l V6 - if I'm not mistaken, the 3.5 is transversely-mounted, and to allow the engine to fit sideways, the water pump is internal and driven by the timing chain. WP failure often results in coolant in the oil.

I think that whole water pump oil thing with the 3.5 v6 is way overblown. yes, it could happen, no it's not likely to... just like the millions of other cars out there with similar water pump designs. i'd rather have the naturally aspirated v6 over a four cylinder turbo any day!

Plus, it's well known that as the years go on, parts are updated as failures from previous model years are analyzed. Look at the gm 700r4->4l60->4l60e->4l65e... Or the 4r75e and it's previous versions if you want a Ford example.

Do they revise parts ? Yes, sometimes, but they have to maintain fit with the remaining parts and that can be tricky and limits the extent of changes.

As for your GM example, I can't help but laugh.... Did GM make it better ? No idea but what I can see is they made it sooooo different they had to give it different number schemes.

I am going to say , given enough miles , any water pump is going to leak . Designing an engine so that that leaking coolant is going to end up in the oil , is crazy !

When we purchased our little red Chevy Sonic 1.8l , is the water pump is external of the timing cover . Not driven by the timing belt . It is driven by the serpentine belt & can be changed independent of the timing system .

Originally Posted by Number_35

I think that whole water pump oil thing with the 3.5 v6 is way overblown. yes, it could happen, no it's not likely to... just like the millions of other cars out there with similar water pump designs. i'd rather have the naturally aspirated v6 over a four cylinder turbo any day!
Good point, and one I've been pondering for awhile. What is the failure rate over, say 150K miles/250K km? 1%? 5%? 10%? 25%? People tend to post about the failures, not the many years of good service. I'd like hard data on the failure rate before buying a vehicle equipped with an internal WP.

As the title says, we will likely be buying a 2016 Explorer 2.3l EcoBoost. About 29k miles, AWD equipped. I know that Ford has had a slew of issues with its PTU unit, but this one has a slightly larger fluid capacity (24 oz vs 18oz), I believe because the exhaust doesn't encroach on it as much as the V6 models. Anything else to look out for? It has the same 6F35 transmission as our Fusion (which has been rebuilt twice
cry.gif
), although updated and stronger I assume. Is very nice otherwise.

If you had so many problems with the transmission in your Fusion why would you consider another vehicle with the same transmission? I would say run away and never look back. Buy a different brand!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back