correct fuel additive for a '41 Ford Flathead engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious if I should be using an additive in my '41 flathead ford. I've been running 87 octane from Sheets that may(?) contain up to 10% ethanol. I'm in NC and the pumps aren't required to actually tell you if ethanol is in the fuel. I have a new fuel tank and copper line from the tank to the fuel pump to the carb. Is there anything I need to adding? Thanks in advance, Randy

Originally Posted by randytrish
Just curious if I should be using an additive in my '41 flathead ford. I've been running 87 octane from Sheets that may(?) contain up to 10% ethanol.
I love Sheets, they are my fav gas brand.
laugh.gif

I'd be more concerned with lead additive than ethanol in the fuel. However, running ethanol free fuel would probably prevent carb issues the same way it does in OPE.

Put some MMO in it. I would double the amount per gallon. It'll help lube the system and help the exhaust valves from eating the seats because of the unleaded fuel.

That flathead has such a low compression ratio that the only thing I might look into is a lead additive (if available) for the life of the valve seats.

Originally Posted by MParr
Ethanol is not good for the older engines.

And yet I and everyone in our car club run it in our vintage cars without any problem.

Ethanol is fine for the engine. It's the carb that will plug up if the gas sits in it for any extended periods of time.

I would call Redline oil and see what they have. I think they still have a Lead Substitute additive. Ask Dave, he seems to steer people in the right direction

Originally Posted by Fawteen
Originally Posted by MParr
Ethanol is not good for the older engines.

And yet I and everyone in our car club run it in our vintage cars without any problem.

Some people like to regurgitate the same false information over and over.

It is hard on certain parts, like rubber fuel hoses fell apart on me after about 6-7 years, now I'll have to redo them a second time.

I run ethanol in the summer because I can't afford e0 in my daily driver. The lawnmowers get nothing but e0 though because I've seen the aftermath of not doing that and the gas sits around for several months before being used up.

If the engine is running on its original softer valve seats, there are lead substitute additives available. If it's been rebuilt with hardened seats, lead substitute is probably** not necessary.
If you have not replaced the rubber fuel lines with high-grade alcohol-resistant material, I would recommend running E0 or use an ethanol treatment (such as Sta-Bil marine formula).

**Lead back in the day also boosted octane, so if you know the compression ratio of your engine then you can calculate the required octane. Lots of info online. 87 octane regular is generally good for 9.5:1 compression or less. 91 octane (CA premium) is generally good for 10.5:1 compression or less. You may know this already but wanted to mention it anyway.

If you have a 41 ford flathead I would recommend using superior motoring benefits high mileage treatment, super gas treatment, and fuel injector cleaner. I would also say to use Lucas oil stabilizer. Also if needed you should get a fuel additive that treats seals if the exhaust smokes unless it is a two stroke motor. One last thing you should get some carb cleaner. You can get superior motoring benefits from the dollar tree, and yes it works. Some people are hesitant about stuff like that from the dollar tree, but I have tried them and there brake additives saved me a master cylinder, there octane booster saved me tearing apart the engine, there power steering fluid additives saved me a 250.00 power steering pump, there fuel injector cleaner gets me 4 miles a gallon better, and there high mileage fuel treatment gave my car more pep in it's step.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back