The Color of Oil Tells Nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Fawteen

Originally Posted by atikovi
I would have changed the oil in anything I cared about long before it got as dirty as ANY of those samples. This is what I want to see when I pull the dipstick

You'd get your britches wound up tight if you ever owned a real diesel.

Well duh. This is BTOG so I didn't think I would have to state the obvious exception to my comment.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Is sample 2 really 37774 miles? You ran that oil that long?

Short of uoa which is costly and may add no real value (never done it and never had any issues with any of my cars), the color, feel, touch, smell is what you got ... and it works. Better than nothing!

Sir, I am merely having fun with this thread; why else hang out on BITOG? But yes, if you read my original post at the beginning of this thread, there IS a sample with 37,774 miles on it (and Blackstone did several UOA leading up to that sample), I'm running bypass filtration and didn't know how far it would/could go....And no, I DISAGREE and stand by what I stated at the beginning.....(assuming a healthy motor)...you can't tell anything by the COLOR of the oil other than the color of the oil; unless it's new enough to be amber, (Duh)! Feel, touch and smell are different senses and off topic.
coffee2.gif

When did any reasonably astute member claim that oil color meant anything?
It obviously doesn't.
All we can really do is change engine oil on some reasonable basis with some reasonable maintenance plan.
We can have UOAs done, but they may reveal less than we sometimes think they do.
End of the day, have a maintenance plan with some reasonable basis and follow it.
You can find these plans in the OM of anything with a combustion engine.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Ihatetochangeoil
I can put a drop of each on white paper, but does anyone honestly think you'll be able to pick the 2,128 mile sample from the 37,774 sample?

Only one way to find out.

Took me a little while this afternoon; while some folks were getting their panties in a wad because my good oil isn't amber. Here; I left out the Frankenbrew mix. One sample here has 2,128 miles, one sample has 37,774 miles, and the third sample has 5,9XX miles. I challenge anyone to correctly pick any one of the three, they are in same order left to right in all pics:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by atikovi
I would have changed the oil in anything I cared about long before it got as dirty as ANY of those samples. This is what I want to see when I pull the dipstick,

[Linked Image]

So your approach to oil changes is non-scientific? Not to be mean, but what are you doing here at BITOG then? I mean, this website is entirely based upon learning and understanding the real science of engine lubrication. And the OP is right. The health of a motor oil cannot be determined by appearance. To suggest that others don't care for an engine because the oil is dark is kind of arrogant. And shows ignorance of fact.

If I were to use your criteria for oil changes, my cars would get fresh oil every 2k miles. What a waste and environmental impact that would be!! And it would do absolutely nothing to care for my cars any better.

Thanks for the blotters! I can't tell any more from them. I agree that you can judge by color, but i thought there might be some difference on paper !
grin2.gif

You satisfied my curiosity about judging from a blotter. That and you have good filters!

I can put a drop of each on white paper, but does anyone honestly think you'll be able to pick the 2,128 mile sample from the 37,774 sample?

Took me a little while this afternoon; while some folks were getting their panties in a wad because my good oil isn't amber. Here; I left out the Frankenbrew mix. One sample here has 2,128 miles, one sample has 37,774 miles, and the third sample has 5,9XX miles. I challenge anyone to correctly pick any one of the three, they are in same order left to right in all pics:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Let me take a bite:
Left - 2128 miles;
Centre - 37xxx miles;
Right - 59xx miles.

You're brave sir. I will post which one is which in a day or two, but I notice a lack of takers. And I've really thought about taking these syringes into a "lube shop" for some "expert" opinions, but I don't think it would end well or positive.
I've never done anything with oil on a blotter before a few hours ago, and I must admit I surprised myself. I'm not trying to mock anyone, but I hope some folks can learn from my experience/expense. I've run bypass filtration and done UOA since 2011. I know I've spent hundreds of dollars on the filters and hundreds more on UOA, and all I really feel when someone says their "oil is dark, it's time to change it" is REALLY? What's my TBN? What are the levels of my wear metals and additive levels?
12.gif

i thought 37774 was a typo ...
is this a real color test or Amsoil advertisement?
Nothing against Amsoil btw. Just curious.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Dave, I have a very high degree of respect for Jim Fitch and what I've read of your opinion on BITOG. With all due respect sir, I did not say that you can't discern anything from looking at, smelling or feeling or observing oil over time - quite the opposite he recommends observation as a basic and routine habit.
I absolutely agree with what you've stated, and my only point in starting this thread is to poke fun at those who think the COLOR of the oil means much more than the COLOR of the oil, barring mayonnaise or obvious engine issues. I stated assuming a healthy engine. Smell, feel, and observing over time have their own uses, but my main point, which I think stands quite well so far, is no one is able to tell for sure the 2,128 mile Castrol oil (which I'm sure is serviceable without testing) from the 37K oil (which I have UOA on). Having a little fun is my main point and I'm thrilled I think you seem to understand that.
If I were going to be mean, I'd take these samples to some quick change oil place, but I'm sure nothing positive could come of that.

All good conversation- No meanness intended at a campfire the discussion would be very lighthearted!

I cant type for squat and my brevity often sounds harsh.

UD

You are really great UD .. You add a lot of good information and insight on here.

And I believe you are right about what you stated in your first response here.

[Linked Image]

Left: 2K
Middle: 38K
Right: 6K

Color without other information does not mean much but I know my cars quite well and know when the color will change. My cars all change later in oil change life probably since I mostly use synthetic. Oil can darken for several reasons - oxidation, cleaning sludge or varnish which can depend on detergents and brand used. I would not say color means nothing but you have to know your vehicle and oil used. Blind color with no other information doesn't mean much.

Originally Posted by zeng

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Let me take a bite:
Left - 2128 miles;
Centre - 37xxx miles;
Right - 59xx miles.

Besides, all 3 oil samples demonstrate good and more than adequate detergency/dispersancy capabilities and are fit for continuing service, inc 38k and 6k samples.

Fuel dilution problem (if any,) seems to be absent in all 3 samples. Just my
49.gif

Edit: Also absence of coolant issue.

Last edited:

49.gif

How on earth do you think you can tell either one of those statements by looking at those pics?

Originally Posted by fdcg27
It obviously doesn't.
All we can really do is change engine oil on some reasonable basis with some reasonable maintenance plan.
We can have UOAs done, but they may reveal less than we sometimes think they do.
End of the day, have a maintenance plan with some reasonable basis and follow it.

Yet, the idea that color means something is all over the interweb. Not a week goes by I don't read someone on some forum proclaim there is something wrong with his engine or the manufacturer has no idea what they are doing with OCI because they just changed their oil 2500 miles ago and checked it today and it was black. Common sense ain't so common.

Last edited:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ill take a guess for the fun of it. Left:2128 Center:59xx Right:37774

Originally Posted by PWMDMD

49.gif

How on earth do you think you can tell either one of those statements by looking at those pics?

Coolant and fuel will soak into cardboard faster than the surrounding oil, leaving a small imprint in the middle of the droplet looking similar to a mosquito bite. That's an old racer's trick for checking for fuel dilution before lab analysis was a common thing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PWMDMD
Originally Posted by fdcg27
It obviously doesn't.

Yet, the idea that color means something is all over the interweb. Not a week goes by I don't read someone on some forum proclaim there is something wrong with his engine or the manufacturer has no idea what they are doing with OCI because they just changed their oil 2500 miles ago and checked it today and it was black. Common sense ain't so common.

01.gif

THANKS! You got it!!! There's more MISinformation out there than there is INFORMATION. All you have to do is google "the color of oil" and see everything that pops up, it seems everyone from car manufacturers to oil companies to parts stores and quick change lube places and every place that services autos ALL want to intimidate John Q Public into somehow equating darkened oil with putting your engine (and thereby) your car at risk by "neglecting" maintenance; it just ain't so.

How many samples of "darkened" motor oil that is perfectly fine for continued use do you think Ryan Stark of Blackstone labs or Alan Bender of Horizon (Amsoil) labs see on a daily basis? I've sent in enough samples that I've spoken to both men whom were very polite and knowledgeable and I know there are many users on BITOG who "get it," but we are mere drops in a tsunami of intimidation and misinformation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back