Equifax Data Breach Settlement

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I heard this yesterday thought I'd update the information. It seems there won't be enough money to cover the $125 payments, and amount will likely be far less. Shocker.
whistle.gif

At this point best option is to choose the free credit monitoring. Article says if one already chose cash payout, it can be changed.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/regrets-equifax-settlement-choice-change-193527596.html

I got on that this week. Went to website and entered our SSN's. Daughter and I were fine, but they got the wive. I went ahead and did the 125 thing. Pretty easy. I have all our credit locked from the big 3. I also have privacy assist service from Bank of America for 17 a month that monitors EVERYTHING. Cards, bank accounts, SSN's, etc. etc. She does not. Daughter is still a minor but I have her SSN on that protection too. Wife is an RN, and I think she got caught up in all that hospital record breach thing a few years ago.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
As I heard this yesterday thought I'd update the information. It seems there won't be enough money to cover the $125 payments, and amount will likely be far less. Shocker.
whistle.gif

At this point best option is to choose the free credit monitoring. Article says if one already chose cash payout, it can be changed.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/regrets-equifax-settlement-choice-change-193527596.html

Yep.. that's why I chose the credit monitoring. People are gonna be pizzzed when all they get is a .50c check and they coulda got the monitoring. I did file for the time compensation because it involved me pulling credit reports and putting a lock on all 3 agencies (which I still have on), when I found out I was effected by the breach.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
whistle.gif

Yep.. that's why I chose the credit monitoring. People are gonna be pizzzed when all they get is a .50c check and they coulda got the monitoring. I did file for the time compensation because it involved me pulling credit reports and putting a lock on all 3 agencies (which I still have on), when I found out I was effected by the breach.

Why would there only be a 50 cent check when it is stated $125?

Originally Posted by talest
whistle.gif

Apparently there was a "miscalculation" on equifax's part.

whistle.gif

Up to $125 means just that. Class actions are about lawyers and politicians getting paid. The "victims" get a couple crumbs.

...Why would there only be a 50 cent check when it is stated $125?...
It did say in legalese, "up to" $125 so technically they are covered.

Using the linked yahoo video and article as reference here's the math the settlement . Up to ~700 million was allowed for the settlement. Of that only 31 million was set aside to pay out those affected which estimates say was ~147 million people. Apparently someone thought only ~250,000 of those affected would apply for the payout to get to the $125 payout.
whistle.gif

As for taking credit monitoring, if Equifax is in charge of that monitoring, why would I trust them now when they are the ones that compromised my information/data to begin with. I didn't voluntarily give my information to Equifax, yet they used it to make a profit and didn't protect it. So as noted, top Equifax execs should be in jail, and the company has gotten off they've gotten far too lightly. If I ever met one or more of them I'd tell them to do something anatomically impossible. As usual the little guy consumer gets screwed.

FYI, Check with your homeowner's (or renter's) insurance company, many of them offer an identity theft insurance rider that is ridiculously cheap. State Farm has it for $25/year covering everyone living under my roof. Combined with using a degree of due diligence on my part, this appears to be the best low-cost option that doesn't leave me totally "on my own".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back