Dragged a seized Detroit 4-53T home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently bought a Detroit 4-53T for scrap and thought I'd post up some pictures.:) From the looks of the engine it hasn't been run for decades and was left out in the elements, so water was able to slowly seize the engine. After a couple hours of work I got the engine to turn over, but stuck valves stopped me from trying to start it. I've pulled the head to have a closer look at the pistons and liners etc, and it looks like a keeper. I'm planning on a rebuilt this winter when another 4-53T project is finished and repower an old ingersoll Rand compressor with it. I also took an oil sample to see how the old Detroit was treated before it's long nap.:)

65848701_10162094117545217_6611413527200530432_n.jpg

IMG_6963.JPG

IMG_6968.JPG

IMG_6970.JPG

IMG_6984.JPG

IMG_6942.JPG

Barko 4-53T.jpg

That's a worrisome amount of Copper in the UOA. A lot of Lead & Tin, too, so I guess there's bearing distress.
Have you cut open the oil filter?
Oil's measuring viscosity as a 30-weight, so I'm guessing they didn't have the right oil in it.
The additive package doesn't even look like a diesel oil; low zddp and very low Magnesium.

Last edited:
Bus Grease Monkey on Youtube is a great source for two stroke Detroit engine info i.e. setting rack and gov. Love the sound of old Detroit's, Straight 40 CF-2 oil only.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
That's a worrisome amount of Copper in the UOA. A lot of Lead & Tin, too, so I guess there's bearing distress.
Have you cut open the oil filter?
Oil's measuring viscosity as a 30-weight, so I'm guessing they didn't have the right oil in it.
The additive package doesn't even look like a diesel oil; low zddp and very low Magnesium.

True, I'll soon find out when I pull the bearings out and have a look and no I haven't pulled the filter yet. Looks like it was abused even before being removed from service. When I do pull it I'll post a cut open for laughs.:)

Originally Posted by walterjay
I don't think that I've ever seen such a worrisome oil report.

I saved a 1965 Allis Chalmer forklift with a very similar oil report, this engine wasn't seized, but badly abused before it finally stopped moving. I got the engine running again without a rebuild and it's running well. Here's a oil report on that engine.:)

Allis OilReports (1).jpg

Originally Posted by hatt
That's a cool project.

Should be fun, I have to finish my current project first.:), Detroit 4-53T swap in a 2009 Ford F350. Once the kids are back in school I'll finish it up.:)

IMG_6425.JPG

IMG_6898.JPG

Wow, I'm counting 2 turbos on your 4-53. Is that a factory setup? It looks like the exhaust and charge air adapters are factory-type pieces.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
Wow, I'm counting 2 turbos on your 4-53. Is that a factory setup? It looks like the exhaust and charge air adapters are factory-type pieces.

No, the compound setup is a BorgWarner K27/K31, K27 is off a Mercedes OM906 and the larger K31 is off a Detroit 60 series. The charge air fittings are oem, but the exhaust is what I fabbed up.:)

Originally Posted by Chris142
Curious as to why your putting 1940 engine technology into a 2009 truck? Guess emissions testing isn't a big deal in your state?

He is in Canada

Originally Posted by Chris142
Curious as to why your putting 1940 engine technology into a 2009 truck? Guess emissions testing isn't a big deal in your state?

There's no emissions testing in the province I live in, so that's not an issue. The reason I'm swapping the 6.4 PowerStroke for the Detroit is for reliability, cost and ease of repair.:)

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
This is wild
crazy2.gif
Particularly the truck swap. Pretty cool. What trans are you mating it to?

I've mated it to the 5R110 that was attached to the 6.4 PowerStroke.

IMG_5893.JPG

IMG_5894.JPG

IMG_5800 (1).JPG

Originally Posted by Cujet
Very, very cool project. Both of them.

What kind of power do you expect from the compound turbo engine?

Thanks, I'm expecting to get 230-250 H.P. and around 530-585 FT LBS of Torque with larger 7A77 injectors. I can push it up to 350-400 with larger injectors, but for reliability I'll stay with what I have now. P.S. I also installed a natural blower which is around 15-20% more air flow, so I should be getting a smokeless power exhaust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back