303 for door seals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my '19 WRX and i'm trying to take good care of it. Want to put something on the door seals to keep them fresh for as long as possible. I use 303 on the dash/other inside plastics and love the results I get. I even use 303 on my game consoles/stereo equipment and it really keeps the dust off. Anyways, how do you guys think 303 would hold up on the door seals?

I use 303 on the engine and everything under the hood. I still use it in the interior, although I'm questioning the effectiveness of it there. It provides some level of UV protection, but I imagine some of the materials inside of cars are already resistant to UV rays. I also like the natural look of a car's interior without anything added to it. I think it would be good for door seals however.

I recently tried 303 on the lower black plastic part of rear bumper and after it rained it left some streaking.

How does Shin-Etsu silicone grease differ from 3m silicone brake grease I already have? Is it thinner?

Either silicone spray or silicone grease is what I use on rubber door and trunk seals.

Silicone sprays often have petroleum distillate carriers. Not a good thing.

303 is a silicone oil in water - silicone oils offer some UV protection supposedly.

Honda recommends shin etsu grease. I can't imagine it's that different than a good, 100% silicone dielectric grease.

All need to be worked in.

DOT5 brake fluid is also silicone oil and may be suitable, but would need to be tested.

What does Subaru recommend? I can't see 303 being a bad choice, but a grease may be better. Since Honda specifically recommends the Shin Etsu, to me that's a good bet for something that is at least reasonably compatible across the board.

I would never use grease on the door seals unless you like grease all over your hands, clothes and interior...

I would stick with 303.

Originally Posted by 2010Civic
I would never use grease on the door seals unless you like grease all over your hands, clothes and interior...

I would stick with 303.

If worked in gently its just not an issue.

Wonder what the life span of door seals is left untreated with anything special? The seals on my 86 Samurai are soft with no tears or rotten places and still seal well enough that with the windows up it's noticeably harder to shut a door indicating air tight.

Originally Posted by JHZR2

3M says their wet or dry preserves rubber because it does not have any petroleum oil, but it does have solvent distillate.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
How does Shin-Etsu silicone grease differ from 3m silicone brake grease I already have? Is it thinner?

I don't know, I never tried the 3M product. Shin-Etsu was recommended to me a few years ago, I tried it and it works very well.

Originally Posted by 2010Civic

I would stick with 303.

If worked in gently its just not an issue.

Exactly, it is not an issue when applied as you said.
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Wonder what the life span of door seals is left untreated with anything special? The seals on my 86 Samurai are soft with no tears or rotten places and still seal well enough that with the windows up it's noticeably harder to shut a door indicating air tight.

My concern is tears. In certain vehicles over the years I had ice weld doors shut from the rubber seal to the vehicle body and pillars. I recall tearing the weather strip once or twice forcing a door open. Treating the rubber eliminated that problem, which in turn extends the life of the seal in many instances.

Originally Posted by BigD1

3M says their wet or dry preserves rubber because it does not have any petroleum oil, but it does have solvent distillate.

That solvent distillate is the issue. Supposedly if you spray the silicone on a rag and let the solvents flash, then its good to use. Ive never really studied this approach though...

Keeping the seals clean and flexible is important if you live in very cold climates. The cold is much harder on the materials than heat.

Good point about freezing shut. Forgot about that since we moved here.
thumbsup2.gif

303 makes a product specifically for this purpose. I use it on my travel trailer hatch/access doors in a hopes to keep their seals plaible and sealing water tight.

The bottle comes with a dabber sponge on the tip for easy application.

Screenshot_20190804-075910.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back