Are the Government minimum standards enough for Gasohol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there something wrong with just "meeting the minimum requirements" when it comes to pump gas? Does gas need more cleaners/additives than minimum standards?

Some vehicle manufacturers think so and do recommend Top Tier fuels. I'm sure, given the wide variety of vehicles and applications on the road, that the minimum standards are more than sufficient for some, but not for others.

Originally Posted by KeithS_NW_Ohio
The EPA "minimum standards" were set up when cars had carburetors. Needs updated for fuel injection.

Very interesting. I didn't know that. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Gebo
The EPA "minimum standards" were set up when cars had carburetors. Needs updated for fuel injection.

Very interesting. I didn't know that. Thanks!

You didn't know it because it's not true. All you have to do is go to the EPAs website and look at the Federal Register/ Vol. 81, No. 78 / Friday, April 22, 2016 / Rules and Regulations. The standards have been revised several times since cars had carburetors.

Maybe it is enough. Probably not but with all the top tier brands I see no reason to use top tier every once in a while which is likely all you need. Although I normally use top tier gasoline.

What? The initial standards were set in 1994 and then modified in 1997. And as other state it's been updated over the years. The regulations also specifically mention injector, carburetor, and valve cleanliness.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/40/80.141
§ 80.141 Interim detergent gasoline program.
(a)Effective dates of requirements.

(1) Until June 30, 1997, the products listed in paragraphs (a)(1)(i) through (iii) of this section must comply with either the interim program requirements described in this section or the certification program requirements described in § 80.161. Beginning July 1, 1997, the listed products must comply with the requirements in § 80.161.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back