Frequent regens after switching to conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.
same brand/source of your diesel fuel? change in formulation...winterized vs warm season? same brand of DEF? environmental changes...warmer temps, higher humidity?

Originally Posted by kmrcstintn
same brand/source of your diesel fuel? change in formulation...winterized vs warm season? same brand of DEF? environmental changes...warmer temps, higher humidity?

Same diesel station, TX is always hot so I would imagine same formation
Same def
It's gotten a little hotter and humidity is always pretty high

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
Consider a dump an fill with Delvac 5w40 and rule out the oil as suspect.

This

Has your driving changed? Short trips, or light loads, or I believe driving too gingerly will cause shorter time intervals between re-gens. Towing my trailer I was re-gening about once every 6-700 miles, once I started using a fuel additive re-gens are at about 1000 miles now when towing.

Haven't forgot about this post! Just wanted to give T4 a chance to put some miles on it because I want a UOA on it to see wear metals. FWIW...my regen intervals have since increased a bit, although still not as high as M1 ESP 5w40. I'll keep you all posted

You poor guys and all this Regen/DEF BS... thats why I will not buy a new diesel and if I did it would be deleted same day! Too much headache and hassle!

The train on deletes is coming to a screeching halt. You can only take off federally mandated emissions devices for so long, a bunch of tuners have been fined already.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
The train on deletes is coming to a screeching halt. You can only take off federally mandated emissions devices for so long, a bunch of tuners have been fined already.

State Patrol in CO is seriously going after delete vehicles.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by oakaro68
So 3,400 miles ago I switched from Mobil Delvac ESP 5w40 to Rotella T4 15w40 and now I'm experiencing more frequent regens.

I monitor miles since last Regen using a cts2 scanner. I was consistently getting over 600 miles on a regular basis using Mobil syn, now I'm lucky to get 400. What gives? I thought I was doing myself a favor and /finally/ breaking away from all the syn oil hype, but I'm not convinced with a bit lower mpg and more frequent regens.

Thoughts?

For those of you who follow my UOA on my truck I'll be posting results from this sample when it's due or I get too irritated with this going on, which might be sooner rather than later.

More back pressure. Back pressure sensor is thinking there is soot. What it is is SAPS.
What vehicle and WHY conventional oil?

THIS! is T4 a low SAPS oil?

How can you tell? You talking about the black smoke trucks? No sympathy for them.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
You poor guys and all this Regen/DEF BS... thats why I will not buy a new diesel and if I did it would be deleted same day! Too much headache and hassle!

Not necessarily a hassle. My 2012 Volvo truck did require a new DEF doser valve at around 400k miles. It was a very quick diagnosis and fix and while I couldn't tell you the exact cost at the moment, it wasn't anything jaw dropping.

My '16 Cascadia (Detroit DD13 engine) is nearing 450k miles and trouble free so far. Of course there is the expense of getting the DPF cleaned, but I had that done while doing a bunch of other maintenance so it wasn't an extra delay. Maybe I just jinxed myself, but so far...so good.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by dustyroads
Originally Posted by racin4ds
Not necessarily a hassle. My 2012 Volvo truck did require a new DEF doser valve at around 400k miles. It was a very quick diagnosis and fix and while I couldn't tell you the exact cost at the moment, it wasn't anything jaw dropping. My '16 Cascadia (Detroit DD13 engine) is nearing 450k miles and trouble free so far. Of course there is the expense of getting the DPF cleaned, but I had that done while doing a bunch of other maintenance so it wasn't an extra delay. Maybe I just jinxed myself, but so far...so good.
smile.gif

In all fairness, OTR trucks have very mature and robust DEF/SCR/DPF systems and have good success with them for hundreds of thousands of miles. The same cannot be said for their light truck equivalents and there are plenty of tales about the problems they have--form every manufacturer along with the $$$ that inevitably go along with it.

With that said, having to contend with whatever issues arise with those systems are part of what one has signed on to when purchasing a post-2007 light diesel and it is irresponsible to "gut" or bypass the emissions systems. I never had any visual or olfactory indications that my 2015 Powerstoke was a diesel, in fact, one had to listen closely to detect it was and from that perspective, it was quite enjoyable. The "knowing I will eventually have a major repair bill" department was not something I relished looking forward to, so I sold it when I sold my fifth wheel. YMMV!

Originally Posted by loneryder

How can you tell? You talking about the black smoke trucks? No sympathy for them.

Well aside from looking under the truck and not seeing a giant DPF under there you plug in a scan tool or emissions tool and scan for sensor readiness, which of course won't work.

Deleting these trucks is the equivalent of littering, everywhere, constantly. It's just lame. If people actually used the trucks as they should be used and didn't use them to just go get milk 360 days per year the systems would work as intended and would be more reliable.

If people actually used the trucks as they should be used and didn't use them to just go get milk 360 days per year the systems would work as intended and would be more reliable.

This!!! Diesel users with DPF related problems are usually those who buy diesel car to "save" money/gasoline on their way to curch and back...

Diesel is a working horse....and you dont have to baby it when it reaches its working temperature...

Originally Posted by Kamele0N

If people actually used the trucks as they should be used and didn't use them to just go get milk 360 days per year the systems would work as intended and would be more reliable.

This!!! Diesel users with DPF related problems are usually those who buy diesel car to "save" money/gasoline on their way to curch and back...

Diesel is a working horse....and you dont have to baby it when it reaches its working temperature...

Yes. post 07 MB diesels don't like city driving. They start sludging up and setting off sensors. People who drive in those conditions should regularly take them on the Interstates for a long hi-speed drive. Italian tuneups don't help these diesels. They like a long stretch at 2k rpms or above.

Well aside from looking under the truck and not seeing a giant DPF under there you plug in a scan tool or emissions tool and scan for sensor readiness, which of course won't work.

Deleting these trucks is the equivalent of littering, everywhere, constantly. It's just lame. If people actually used the trucks as they should be used and didn't use them to just go get milk 360 days per year the systems would work as intended and would be more reliable.

They usually gut the dpfs, but do troopers pull people over and hook a scanner up to their vehicles. I could see doing it if they were rolling coal.
As for me, I don't mind the dpf. It's the egr I would like to delete or block. The egr is what fouls up the oil so quickly. You can see it clearly on uoa's.

Yes. post 07 MB diesels don't like city driving. They start sludging up and setting off sensors. People who drive in those conditions should regularly take them on the Interstates for a long hi-speed drive. Italian tuneups don't help these diesels. They like a long stretch at 2k rpms or above.

Italian tuneups dont work...because in 99.9% all car brands are set to purge their DPFs between 2-3k rpms in "light duty" conditions (conditions that replicates highway driving) ...plus some additional demands (engine must be on working temperature....tank must be at least half full....etc. Conditions differ from brand to brand a little )

If used appropriately most DPFs will be good for the life of the car. I'm on original, fully functioning DPF on my 07 diesel with 220k km. Still good. Car is used in city and suburbs, as is my wife's car, but every 600-800km we take it on the longer trip for a weekend or something. DPF do the regen then and is all good for stop and go traffic for next cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back