2018 Volkswagen Jetta factory filter CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off a co workers new to her Volkswagen Jetta base model. Oil and filter ran for 4,000 miles. She supplied the Castrol Professional 0w20 that meets VW specification and I installed a FRAM ULTRA 3614.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I thought 19+ where the ones that use 0W-20 and 2018-under took 5W-40.

Also food for thought the Fram Ultra specs a 12PSI bypass while OEM and other German filters spec a 36PSI bypass. Does it matter? Dunno.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta

Also food for thought the Fram Ultra specs a 12PSI bypass while OEM and other German filters spec a 36PSI bypass. Does it matter? Dunno.

We had 2018 VW Jettas and they spec 0w20. Still some in our fleet.

Probably doesn't matter about bypass as we use the WIX SL 7503 on these at work. Made in Poland and so far zero issues

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

We had 2018 VW Jettas and they spec 0w20. Still some in our fleet.

Probably doesn't matter about bypass as we use the WIX SL 7503 on these at work. Made in Poland and so far zero issues

Those WIX actually spec 36 psi too. We have other members on here that run Frams too, no problems.

I wonder if VW actually changed anything in the engine or just changed the handbook for the lower oil weight.

I am not certain. I dunno what oil grade the Atlas specs as we dont have but 1 in the fleet
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by WellOiled
Another good looking filter. Thanks for the C&P.

You are welcome sir
smile.gif

Thanks for the C&P Adam.

Another nice looking filter.

I also thought only 2019 called for 0/20 LL FE at least in the Jetta. (1.4t right) ...

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Thanks for the C&P Adam.

Another nice looking filter.

I also thought only 2019 called for 0/20 LL FE at least in the Jetta. (1.4t right) ...

Robert, I think it's the 1.4t yes. Oil requires a VW 50?.?? As lady knew what correct oil to buy
wink.gif

The Golf GTI switched over to 0W20 VW508 spec oil for the 2019 model year also. I was lucky with my 2019 Golf Wagon with the 1.8T that still specs VW504.

I've always been under the impression that bypass pressure is not an issue UNLESS you really neglect your oil changes and the engine suffers from sludge and junk
I'm I correct or way off base ?

For those of us who change on a regular bases and take care of our vehicles I don't think psi is an issue 🤔

Originally Posted by kstanf150

I've always been under the impression that bypass pressure is not an issue UNLESS you really neglect your oil changes and the engine suffers from sludge and junk
I'm I correct or way off base ?

For those of us who change on a regular bases and take care of our vehicles I don't think psi is an issue 🤔

The bypass valve setting is dependant on: 1) Expected oil viscosity, 2) Expected low temp start-ups, 3) Oil pump volume output, 4) Media flow restriction., and 5) How much headroom there is for debris loading before the valve opens under some of those conditions.

Depending on all those factors, it can certainly cause the bypass valve setting to differ between different cars and filters.

This is in my opinion this is a really solid filter:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I believe the media to be similar to Boss media...

They are a little more expensive than Ultras though...

Thank you. I wish I knew for sure what the VW dealer just put in my car. It feels a lot thicker than what came out.and engine is slow to rev now.

I asked them, but they lie and the paperwork doesn't say anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back