Laptop recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find most regular laptops to be fragile. My son's Latitude 6430, which he got in 2012, is still working great after 7 years of school abuse. While not a rugged model, it is solid with a metal case and a spill-proof keyboard. Dell also has truly rugged laptops for under $800.

Originally Posted by simple_gifts
Get a refurbished business laptop from a place like www.arrowdirect.com; Authorized Windows copy but no try and buy garbage.

Consumer laptops suck big time, they suck because they have try and buy and aren't designed to be repaired; Business laptops have quick swap components because a field guy can't spend 4 hours with 100 tiny screws to get to a DIMM in an inaccessible spot. No one is going to convince me a $349 consumer model is the same quality as a $1500 lenovo;

Arrow has completed a strategic review of our personal computer and mobility asset disposition business. As a result of our review, and with consideration of Arrow's broader strategy, we are changing our approach to this business. The decision has been made to cease operations of the personal computer and mobility asset disposition business. Please know we continue to see sustainability as an important element of our overall business strategy.

A used Lenovo Thinkpad is around $250 - 300 and will last the 4yrs. I recommend to my family and everyone has been happy with them(8). That price includes a SSD HD drive.

Chromebook are a good choice however durability is pretty low because of low price points $200-$300 means cost cutting hardware.

Find yourself a Lenovo ThinkPad T-series or even the X1 series. I've gotten my few from work as retired machines but they still work. I use a late-2013 Mac as my personal laptop for coding/AWS and anything that needs the terminal. My Windows rig is a T450s. I've installed Ubuntu on a old T420 and I might install ChromeOS on a T430s.

If you can, find the newer T470/480/X1 Carbon 5th gen series. They both support USB-C charging/alt-mode and some models have Thunderbolt 3 so they can use whatever Mac chargers you have and USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 docking/monitors. And they also support NVMe SSDs(the T460 series does too).

Acer E5-576-392-H 329.00 on Amazon.Bought one for my wife at Christmas. Works fine.

Last edited:
$200 on eBay gets a very nice modestly used and fully configured Dell Latitude E7470. Spend another $20 to get a docking station for it, and buy an full-sized 1080p or even 1440p LCD or two, and you have a very nice setup that you can un-dock from with the press of a button. Amazing how cheap hardware is these days. I almost cry looking back at how much I spent in college on computer hardware just to maintain some semblance of being modern enough to run the required software packages.

Originally Posted by pitzel
$200 on eBay gets a very nice modestly used and fully configured Dell Latitude E7470. Spend another $20 to get a docking station for it, and buy an full-sized 1080p or even 1440p LCD or two, and you have a very nice setup that you can un-dock from with the press of a button. Amazing how cheap hardware is these days. I almost cry looking back at how much I spent in college on computer hardware just to maintain some semblance of being modern enough to run the required software packages.

Yep. For around $400 you can have a nice setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back