hot shots secret fr3

The MSDS states it is 10% Trimethylolpropane Tripelargonate. The following link states that this is a triester with molecular formula: C33H62O6
https://sci-toys.com/scichem/jqp073/31351.html

The other 90% is listed as proprietary. It is rather expensive and similar in price per ounce of typical esters. I see it on Amazon for $32.95 for the larger size bottle of 32 ounces. That hurts its value proposition considerably because it would cost around $8 to 9$ in a 5 quart sump. That's not extremely expensive but it is considerable.

Some of what their advertising says:
FR3 Friction Reducer is a lubricity enhancing oil additive that increases the lubricating & wear reduction properties of the host oil. The product contains three proprietary synthetic lubricants that have unique lubricating properties even compared to PAO or mPAO synthetics of the same viscosity. The anti-wear component of the formula is an exclusive carbon nano particle that fills in microscopic irregularities on the machined surface. The synergy of these components extend the base oil performance in shear stability, oxidation stability, film strength & especially friction reduction.

Or... or... just replace 1 quart of that 5 quart sump with a quart of something like this for about 60% cheaper. PAO/ester base oil with 1900+ ppm trinuclear MoDTC and won't dilute the rest of your additives in the process.

HPL Bad Ass Racing 5w-30 rerun PROPRIETARY.jpg

I've tried two bottles of the 8oz stuff, one in my 05 Outback and one in my mom's '18 Forester without her knowledge so it didn't skew any subjective opinions. Last OCI with no FR3 was PP 0W20, OCI with FR3 was Zepro Eco Medalist. There was literally no change in MPG over the 6k OCIs in comparison (she's under warranty), at most maybe 0.1mpg in favor of the Zepro/FR3. After a couple weeks my mom did tell me that the engine seemed a little quieter, and what did I do to it. I attribute all of that likely to the loads of moly in the Zepro rather than anything with the FR3, since I did not notice any change whatsoever when it was in my Outback.

I won't be buying any more FR3.

RDY4WAR, yeah I would lean more toward using that motor oil as an additive than the Hot Shots product. MoDTC has proven itself to be an excellent additive. I wish some company would sell it in concentrated form without any other additives mixed in. It should just be MoDTC in some 10 cSt at 100C oil capable of keeping it in suspension. If some dispersants are needed, include them too.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Or... or... just replace 1 quart of that 5 quart sump with a quart of something like this for about 60% cheaper. PAO/ester base oil with 1900+ ppm trinuclear MoDTC and won't dilute the rest of your additives in the process.

What exactly is this? Maybe I'm just needing sleep And am missing something

Originally Posted by BigShug681
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR

What exactly is this? Maybe I'm just needing sleep And am missing something

HPL Bad Ass Racing 5w-30 rotated.jpg

So after reading all this, would it be safe to assume that a couple oz. of tcw-3 in the tank here and there are probably just as effective?

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I've tried two bottles of the 8oz stuff, one in my 05 Outback and one in my mom's '18 Forester without her knowledge so it didn't skew any subjective opinions. Last OCI with no FR3 was PP 0W20, OCI with FR3 was Zepro Eco Medalist. There was literally no change in MPG over the 6k OCIs in comparison (she's under warranty), at most maybe 0.1mpg in favor of the Zepro/FR3. After a couple weeks my mom did tell me that the engine seemed a little quieter, and what did I do to it. I attribute all of that likely to the loads of moly in the Zepro rather than anything with the FR3, since I did not notice any change whatsoever when it was in my Outback.

I won't be buying any more FR3.

The problem with your test is your changed the brand of oil used for the second test.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
So after reading all this, would it be safe to assume that a couple oz. of tcw-3 in the tank here and there are probably just as effective?

What?

Back