The Color of Oil Tells Nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.
other than the color of the oil. (Assuming a normal, healthy engine). Here are pictures of 4 samples of oil....Sample 1 is Castrol Edge EP 5W30 with 2,128 miles on it, Sample 2 is Amsoil SS 5W30 with 37,774 miles on it (and I have UOA on it, still usable), Sample 3 is unknown Franken brew from my 5 gallon garage drain pan, and Sample 4 is Amsoil SS from my daughter's car with 5,944 miles on the oil.
All I ask of anyone is to pick out any sample and post correctly which one it is; or else admit that the color of the oil tells nothing other than the color of the oil.
28.gif

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hard to tell in the syringes. Put a couple of drops of each side by side on some white paper.

2nd from right is from daughters car, far left is the Frankenstein brew, far right is the amsoil with 30k miles on it and the 2nd from left is the castrol

Originally Posted by spasm3
It would be interesting with a blotter test of each sample.

I followed the link for blotter testing https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5175933/blotter-spot-test#Post5175933 goes here: https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/499/blotter-spot-method Where it outlines 16 steps. I've already done step 16 on the 37K sample, and I'm certainly NOT going to do it on the sample with 2,128 miles on it. I can put a drop of each on white paper, but does anyone honestly think you'll be able to pick the 2,128 mile sample from the 37,774 sample?

Originally Posted by BigShug681
2nd from right is from daughters car, far left is the Frankenstein brew, far right is the amsoil with 30k miles on it and the 2nd from left is the castrol

You have totally blown it; but I admire your machismo for the attempt.

Fun topic!

I would certainly agree that when presented with examples like this, one can't really discern much if anything.

Your example provides no context of color shift over time - something easily observable by just about anyone.
The syringes are not backlit so I cant look at transparency- a simple blot on the back of a few business cards may yield more information.

Forget about my opinion - In terms of an actual lubrication experts opinion on the matter - Jim Fitch would disagree with the high-level statement that "nothing" can be discerned from looking at, smelling or feeling or observing oil over time - quite the opposite he recommends observation as a basic and routine habit.

So you think Fitch has it all wrong?

Have you published any articles on this topic?

Why would I dismiss Fitch (and grandpa, and dad, and shop owners and experienced mechanics, and my own lifetime of observation on the matter) and believe you?

UD

I would have changed the oil in anything I cared about long before it got as dirty as ANY of those samples. This is what I want to see when I pull the dipstick,

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by atikovi
I would have changed the oil in anything I cared about long before it got as dirty as ANY of those samples. This is what I want to see when I pull the dipstick,

[Linked Image]

That color means NOTHING! hahahahah

UD

Samples must be all from DI engines!
My non DI engines even the very old cars never gets that color.

Dave, I have a very high degree of respect for Jim Fitch and what I've read of your opinion on BITOG. With all due respect sir, I did not say that you can't discern anything from looking at, smelling or feeling or observing oil over time - quite the opposite he recommends observation as a basic and routine habit.
I absolutely agree with what you've stated, and my only point in starting this thread is to poke fun at those who think the COLOR of the oil means much more than the COLOR of the oil, barring mayonnaise or obvious engine issues. I stated assuming a healthy engine. Smell, feel, and observing over time have their own uses, but my main point, which I think stands quite well so far, is no one is able to tell for sure the 2,128 mile Castrol oil (which I'm sure is serviceable without testing) from the 37K oil (which I have UOA on). Having a little fun is my main point and I'm thrilled I think you seem to understand that.
If I were going to be mean, I'd take these samples to some quick change oil place, but I'm sure nothing positive could come of that.

Let's say your near broke 17 year old son bought this on a car lot on a whim and drove it home and you didn't know anything else about it -

You opened up the hood and pulled the stick and saw this would you think the car needs an oil change or not?

Would you send him out to the store to spend more cash on a filter and oil or send him to a lube shop right away?

Or would you tell him to drive it for a while before spending any more money?

UD

Originally Posted by Ihatetochangeoil
Dave, I have a very high degree of respect for Jim Fitch and what I've read of your opinion on BITOG. With all due respect sir, I did not say that you can't discern anything from looking at, smelling or feeling or observing oil over time - quite the opposite he recommends observation as a basic and routine habit.
I absolutely agree with what you've stated, and my only point in starting this thread is to poke fun at those who think the COLOR of the oil means much more than the COLOR of the oil, barring mayonnaise or obvious engine issues. I stated assuming a healthy engine. Smell, feel, and observing over time have their own uses, but my main point, which I think stands quite well so far, is no one is able to tell for sure the 2,128 mile Castrol oil (which I'm sure is serviceable without testing) from the 37K oil (which I have UOA on). Having a little fun is my main point and I'm thrilled I think you seem to understand that.
If I were going to be mean, I'd take these samples to some quick change oil place, but I'm sure nothing positive could come of that.

All good conversation- No meanness intended at a campfire the discussion would be very lighthearted!

I cant type for squat and my brevity often sounds harsh.

UD

Last edited:
Is sample 2 really 37774 miles? You ran that oil that long?

Short of uoa which is costly and may add no real value (never done it and never had any issues with any of my cars), the color, feel, touch, smell is what you got ... and it works. Better than nothing!

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Samples must be all from DI engines!
My non DI engines even the very old cars never gets that color.

The oil on my Silverado's 5.3 dipstick is still clear after 5,000 miles. And guess what? It's DI.
The oil in my T gets dark after a couple hundred miles, and it's a "non DI very old car".

The color of oil is meaningless, and I've had a couple of vehicles in the past that darkened the oil quick.

Originally Posted by atikovi
I would have changed the oil in anything I cared about long before it got as dirty as ANY of those samples. This is what I want to see when I pull the dipstick

You'd get your britches wound up tight if you ever owned a real diesel.

Oil turns black because of oxidation. I use an oil in some of my engines that's black right out of the bottle because it's like 1.8% SA.

Also note that some ashless dispersants turn dark from UV exposure (from combustion events) making the oil appear black even though it isn't.

The oil in my T gets dark after a couple hundred miles, and it's a "non DI very old car". Fawteen what type of oil do you use in the ModelT? OCI ? Is it gassy? TIA
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Ihatetochangeoil
I can put a drop of each on white paper, but does anyone honestly think you'll be able to pick the 2,128 mile sample from the 37,774 sample?

Only one way to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back