does it matter how you treat your car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's common sense that a gently-driven vehicle is going to last longer and require less repairs but how much does it really matter? I beat on my Escape on a daily basis (I floor it frequently, and generally drive harshly) and I have no issues with the engine or transmission (for now)... If I look how most fleet vehicles are treated (not well) it seems like it doesn't actually matter... Do we have any evidence it makes a difference?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
Some of the best running and longest lasting engines are in work trucks. I think a worked engine keeps the rings clean,pistons etc.

I think that as long as it's warmed up the engine doesn't care how it's treated... At least that's my hope haha. I'm more worried about the transmission, drivetrain, suspension components, and other stuff that takes abuse.

Well almost got 100k out of a set of 1987 Tiger Paws, that was because Grandpa would only drive on paved roads, and real slow on gravel.

We know driving your car like "grandma" puts extra stress on the drive train.

It really depends on the vehicle! Beating the [censored] out of a "heavy duty diesel" pickup is different than beating the [censored] out of a Honda Civic.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure.

People all the time say if you "maintain" your car that it'll last longer and have fewer problems. But there's so little to do on the maintenance schedule of modern cars. How is following the book on coolant changes every 100k miles, spark plugs every 60k, and air filters every 30k going to stop batteries from failing prematurely? A/C compressors from going out? Window motors from going bad?

I guess what I mean is say 2 people buy a 2009 VW Jetta new. Person A maintains the car to a 'T', and does all maintenance by the book. Person B does Jiffy Lube oil changes every 10k. Coolant changes? What are those? Takes the brakes down to metal on metal, original cabin air filter, etc.

Then when the car is 10 years old someone will say "buy the one that was maintained so well, it'll be a good reliable car". Yeah, but the electrical is still gonna go out with the same odds whether or not it was maintained by the book, same with the odds of the water pump going out, getting a bad alternator, the suspension being toast etc.

Interesting question. I just did the rear end lube on a truck and found plenty of filings on the magnet. I'm thinking the filings are probably worse with higher torque applied to the rear end.

Pressing the gas pedal increases the cylinder pressure, increasing the load on the crankshaft bearings and also probably causes a bit more blowby past the rings causing a bit more soot in the oil.

Would this lessen the life of the engine and rear end? Possibly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Nick1994
I'm not so sure.

People all the time say if you "maintain" your car that it'll last longer and have fewer problems. But there's so little to do on the maintenance schedule of modern cars. How is following the book on coolant changes every 100k miles, spark plugs every 60k, and air filters every 30k going to stop batteries from failing prematurely? A/C compressors from going out? Window motors from going bad?

I guess what I mean is say 2 people buy a 2009 VW Jetta new. Person A maintains the car to a 'T', and does all maintenance by the book. Person B does Jiffy Lube oil changes every 10k. Coolant changes? What are those? Takes the brakes down to metal on metal, original cabin air filter, etc.

Then when the car is 10 years old someone will say "buy the one that was maintained so well, it'll be a good reliable car". Yeah, but the electrical is still gonna go out with the same odds whether or not it was maintained by the book, same with the odds of the water pump going out, getting a bad alternator, the suspension being toast etc.

Right. But do we know how much more likely it is for the water pump to fail on a car that's taken to redline frequently? I mean, in theory the bearing will be stressed more? IDK..

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Well almost got 100k out of a set of 1987 Tiger Paws, that was because Grandpa would only drive on paved roads, and real slow on gravel.

We know driving your car like "grandma" puts extra stress on the drive train.

It really depends on the vehicle! Beating the [censored] out of a "heavy duty diesel" pickup is different than beating the [censored] out of a Honda Civic.

I would expect the Honda to take it better.

I think that running the rpms out and being under WOT is not abuse. It's careless stress that takes a toll. Like stomping on it and catching the very end of first gear vs rolling into the throttle and letting it get into second. Some people have no finesse whatsoever.

I have wondered about this too. IMO there is a luck element involved in vehicle longevity, or lack there of. Still, I maintain my vehicles quite well. I don't want to ask myself "what if" later on. I drive my vehicles moderately but don't abuse them. A happy medium I believe is better than either of the extremes.

I'm not at all sure wear rates increase markedly with "spirited driving" .

Unless you are towing or driving an amazingly underpowered vehicle, it's unlikely that it spends much time at full throttle or full RPM. The local constabulary will see to that.

Bearings are cushioned by oil. Only BMW's and Hyundai's have insufficient rod bearing sizes, that are subject to RPM related wear.

Camshafts don't care about load.

Rings and cylinders may see higher wear rates under "towing" conditions. But even the occasional track day seems to do nothing to cylinder/ring life.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
I'm not so sure.

A well maintained car will have those items replaced as necessary and can be kept operational for as long as parts are available.

But you are 100% correct, older vehicles are going to have a far higher number of failures and repair expenses. This is a major reason why a new vehicle in the same class, is never more than 5c per mile more than a used vehicle.

NOTE: frequent oil changes with quality oil will help the 3.5 Ecoboost powered Ford Explorer achieve high miles without a timing chain replacement at 90,000 miles. I think that's about the extent of it.

Last edited:
My parents are gentle on cars and perform the required maintenance own two vehicles long term without serious problems:

Their ownedsince brand new fleet:
* 2000 Forester(200k) that replaced 1985 Suburban (245k)
* 2001 Toyota Tundra(145k) that replaced 1985 AMC Eagle (245k)
* 2015 base Outback (30k) - a more comfortable car desired and car seat fit poorly in Forester for grandkids.

Note none of brands are noted for longevity/realibility except Toyota which had frame replaced by Toyota and all were equally reliable for them over long term.

My Corvette buddies always say do not buy a used Corvette from one of the race track driving schools. They feel the cars will not last a long and the cars are driving to the limits of the vehicle for hours every day. I do believe a little spirited driving one in a while doesn't hurt the vehicle at all. Most vehicles have rev limiters to keep you from blowing the engine and that in itself has probably saved many engines from the boneyard. I guess I would say yes, if you rod the crap out of your vehicle it will wear out faster.

Originally Posted by dogememe
I beat on my Escape on a daily basis (I floor it frequently, and generally drive harshly)

Well yea, it's an Escape, you have to. Floor it frequently I mean, not necessarily beat on it. Old VW Beetles were driven with your foot to the floor hours on end with no issues.

I don't think it much matters up here in the salt belt. Most cars, driven over 15 winters are basically toast in my book. Age matters more then use or mileage,

Originally Posted by dogememe
It's common sense that a gently-driven vehicle is going to last longer and require less repairs but how much does it really matter? I beat on my Escape on a daily basis (I floor it frequently, and generally drive harshly) and I have no issues with the engine or transmission (for now)... If I look how most fleet vehicles are treated (not well) it seems like it doesn't actually matter... Do we have any evidence it makes a difference?

Its my belief that the only downfall to modern vehicles is manufacturing defects.

From the past 20 yrs..

Subaru- Head Gaskets, Piston Slap
Toyota - Sludge, Oil Consumption
Honda- Fuel Dilution, Black Death A/C, Transmission Slipping
Chevrolet- Intake Gaskets

Evidence that it makes a difference ?- well you would have to look into police vehicle repairs.. I often see police cruisers flooring it and driving harshly for no reason at all except that they can. When in pursuit or going to a call the engines scream for mercy.

I was told by someone talking to the local police enforcement that the Ford's (Taurus and explorer) cost half the $ in repairs compared to the Dodge Chargers.

We're in the salt belt here. Lots of cars last longer than 20 years if they get undercoated every year.

The rod inserts in the 327 that was in my sons s15 Jimmy are showing copper on the top insert from him hammering on for 94,000 miles. Now 30 years later we are changing the bearings and installing it in a 75 GMC 4wd just for a summer project. So yes how a vehicle is driven dictates longevity.

"It's common sense that a gently-driven vehicle is going to last longer and require less repairs but how much does it really matter?"...was the original question.

There are too many details and way too many differences in vehicles, production QA-QC (of both parts and the entire vehicle), environments and maintenance execution to know exactly.

The fewer number of bangs and sudden lurches the better. The way to get huge mileage longevity from any vehicle is to "pile 'em on".

My friend's 24 year old, 1,800 miles per year F-150 seems to keep breaking things.....and he couldn't be gentler on machinery.

The place were hard driving likely impacts are driveline components like motor mounts, axles, bushings and transmission longevity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back