0W20 Cold Start Flow/Circulate Time How Long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long does it take 0W20 full synthetic to flow i.e. complete it's full circuit throughout the engine on "cold start" which in this case would be ambient temps from 45 F up to summer temps?

This relates to first start of the day idle-up time before putting into gear and rolling.

Question specifically relates to wife's new 2019 GMC with the 1.5L GDI turbo engine. Prefer oil to be flowing to turbo bearings before she rolls. Could be almost instantaneous on this motor, not sure. She drives conservatively so I'm not as concerned about turbo spin-down time when she parks it.

This has been cheerfully discussed between us. I think she thinks I'm being overly ocd about the new car.
smile.gif

Flow isn't really relevant, it's pressure that would be important and that takes just a second or two. Look at the gauge if equipped. How would you even measure flow? Paint an oil molecule yellow and drop it in the oil pan, then somehow watch for it to appear at the turbo?

Who knows and you can't change it it will be rapido with the 20 grade. I give my car about a minute in warm weather. It's idle settles to about 800rpm in about 40 seconds.

I think I know what you saying here I think. I have a hard time getting the Wife to let the car Idle a bit before she heads off in the morning.

I would look for an oil circuit for this engine - but its all academic.

aside: Man the Subaru sounds terrible on a cold start. There is an Empty filter every day. I should make a sound clip. Any way to post that without using a third party like youtube?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
How long does it take 0W20 full synthetic to flow i.e. complete it's full circuit throughout the engine on "cold start" which in this case would be ambient temps from 45 F up to summer temps?

My yellow painted oil molecule showed up at the turbo exactly 17.213 seconds later.

This relates to first start of the day idle-up time before putting into gear and rolling.

Question specifically relates to wife's new 2019 GMC with the 1.5L GDI turbo engine. Prefer oil to be flowing to turbo bearings before she rolls. Could be almost instantaneous on this motor, not sure. She drives conservatively so I'm not as concerned about turbo spin-down time when she parks it.

This has been cheerfully discussed between us. I think she thinks I'm being overly ocd about the new car.
smile.gif

You are being overly OCD.
Nobody here can answer this, and in reality shes going to do what she wants anyway.

Originally Posted by Imp4

smile.gif

You are being overly OCD.
Nobody here can answer this, and in reality shes going to do what she wants anyway.

My wife waits zero seconds. Starts the car and off she goes. So far, so good. It's not like she's stomping on the gas down the driveway.

Take off the oil fill cap and stick your eye down there as someone else starts the car.

Seriously, this is what tribofilm is all about.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Flow isn't really relevant, it's pressure that would be important and that takes just a second or two. Look at the gauge if equipped. How would you even measure flow? Paint an oil molecule yellow and drop it in the oil pan, then somehow watch for it to appear at the turbo?

Flow is very important to the upper end of an engine. Here is a video in extreme cold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWiQyR7PWII

An 0w20, in the summer, will reach all critical areas of the engine in 1 or 2 seconds. If you were talking 20w50 conventional on a well below zero * F winter morning, that would be something to think about.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by Imp4

My wife waits zero seconds. Starts the car and off she goes. So far, so good. It's not like she's stomping on the gas down the driveway.

Tell your wife to fire it up, buckle the seat belt by then she'll be OK. This way she doesn't waste any time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by skyactiv
If your worried use Castrol GTX MAGNATEC.

Exactly the same oil I would recommend and their 0w20 is 3/5 grp based 2.75 Hths too .After warranty go 0w20 Redline/Ravenol and get over -70's pour point ability.

I don't believe most turbo cars have any spin down time required anymore. Most are cooled differently now than years ago. My 2018 Chevrolet Equinox with the 1.5 turbo didn't require any extra steps when shutting it off.

Well, I should have realized about oil pressure, that makes total sense. And the idea to tell her start it first then buckle the seatbelt before putting it into gear is a great idea, thanks!!

Well, I should have realized about oil pressure, that makes total sense. And the idea to tell her to suggest she start it first then buckle the seatbelt before putting it into gear is a great idea, thanks!!

Fixed my previous reply
lol.gif

Can you tell I'm slowly adjusting to marriage again after having been single 7 yrs since my last time?

Originally Posted by tig1
Originally Posted by atikovi

Flow is very important to the upper end of an engine. Here is a video in extreme cold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWiQyR7PWII

Even though posted before, that video (and #s 2 and 3) are great illustrations of cold flow.

Cutting out the fluff between the actual demonstrations helps with time investment and browsing speed.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back