New Lincoln Nautilus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wife bought a ‘19 Lincoln Nautilus Select AWD with a 2.7 boost. So far it's a nice car, reminds me of a Mazdaspeed3 that's gone to finishing school, a real good finishing school. Its larger of course but with the 8 speed trans and AWD it's fun to drive and has good acceleration. For her it's fine, she misses our ‘08 Speed and this kinda erases any regret.
Oil changes shouldn't be bad, typical 2.7 routine. I was dreading servicing the PTU as this thing can be a bit of a wicket to change oil on. Sifting the web with this in mind I ran across this:
https://markets.businessinsider.com...us-for-global-ford-crossovers-1026837821
If I read this correctly this is a new AWD system that doesn't even spin the drive shaft going aft until AWD is called for, unlike the PTU on the ‘18s and earlier which looks a small ring and pinion assembly that drives the rear drive shaft at all times. Hopefully it won't have the old style PTUs maladies- leaks, over heated lubricant and a general nature to come unraveled.
I hope bdcardinal will chime in on this; in a recent discussion here to change oil on my new PTU I'll have to remove cooler lines. Hopefully this new design won't be so "close to the edge" durability wise and may even look like some sane engineering went into it. AAM apparently has had the first gen of this system installed in some Jeep models for several years. Any Jeep enthusiast ( or anybody else for that matter ) care to chime in with their experience with the thing?
Thanks guys!

My uncle just ordered one, to replace his 150k mi '13 MKX(old name for the same platform...Fancy Ford Edge). he won't get the AWD,so i can't speak to the AWD system... not sure what engine he ordered... but he has the 2.7 in his Continental.

We haven't seen many of those yet, we aren't a Lincoln dealer, but a few come in. I did read in the manual that you remove the cooler to drain the PTU, makes sense I guess. I still think they should have drain plugs.

I do kind of keep a mental track of what we sell as far as PTUs and besides the CHP Explorers, we sell a lot of the Flex. Both are heavy with a decent amount of power that tend to be driven by people who don't care about the vehicle.

Thanks bdcardinal! That's good to know. Car doesn't even have 1000 miles on it yet so I haven't gone under to check it out. It does sound like it would be less stressing if the PTU didn't drive the rear shaft most of the time. Having a cooler may help too as the old style is there by itself with no provisions to control its temperature (in most cases). I think export models to desert locations and police duty may have a cooler.

That 2.7L engine is excellent. I recently drove a Ford Edge ST and I really like it. Transmission wasn't great for sporty SUV, but I am sure it will be a great match for the Nautilus.

Do you have the Revel Ultima sound system? It's one of the best I've ever heard. I drove Nautilus (but 2.0T) few weeks ago, and I really enjoyed it overall.

I almost wonder if Ford originally designed the 2.7 TGDI as a diesel then changed their minds, lol. It's like the M1 tank of small displacement engines. Compacted Graphite-Iron upper block, lower ladder block of aluminum. You will like it in the Lincoln. Tough, strong, efficient, and proven.

Coupled with the 10-speed it moves the F-150 really well.

oilBabe has her eyes on this for her next car. Rav4 is about 3 years old now, and she'll retire from her first career after 5 more school years, so a gently used Lincoln may be her retirement sled.

We have about 62k on the Rav4 after 33 or so months of ownership, so just under 2k miles/month. Since she only commutes 9 out of the 12 months, it's soon to start accumulating big miles again.

Sorry, I got distracted, she really liked it at the auto show back in January. Probably won't look for AWD as if it's bad weather, she'll just stay home.

A) we didn't buy it to race it, just drive it normally. We live in a mountainous area, at high altitude.
B) it's only a Select model, just one level up from base; no sunroof, only half of the driver aids etc. You must be thinking of the Reserve or Black Label which are quite pricey. I don't pay that kind of money for cars.

What is an Sq5? I'm thinking like Russian perhaps?

Originally Posted by double vanos
A) we didn't buy it to race it, just drive it normally. We live in a mountainous area, at high altitude.
B) it's only a Select model, just one level up from base; no sunroof, only half of the driver aids etc. You must be thinking of the Reserve or Black Label which are quite pricey. I don't pay that kind of money for cars.

What is an Sq5? I'm thinking like Russian perhaps?

It's an Audi.

Okay, totally different then at low 40's vs the high 60's I thought it was.

Very nice. Post up some pics. I drove a few MKX 2.7 as loaners - with the Revel Ultima systems. They were very nice. I thought the THX sound systems were good, but the top-of-the-line Revel system blew it away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back