Vehicle Theft Rates

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2...eves-now-have-better-taste/#more-1683322

...According to the Highway Loss Data Institute's list of vehicles most likely to be stolen, Hemi-equipped Dodge Challengers and Chargers are now the ride of choice for automotive miscreants. Interestingly, bandits seem to prefer larger vehicles on the whole — with full-sized pickups and large-engined cars topping the charts....

...You'll probably continue seeing Accords, Corollas, Civics, and F-Series pickups on subsequent most-stolen lists. Their volume alone makes them popular targets and any study going by sheer numbers is bound to include them. But the HLDI report quantifies automobiles by their relative risk using insurance data...

...Isolating vehicles by the 2016-18 model years, the Highway Loss Data Institute said the Dodge Charger was the whip pilferers found most tempting. So long as it was equipped with a V8, the outlet said it had a claim frequency of 544 — over five times the 100-point average...

...It was followed by Challenger SRT Hellcat (529) and Infiniti Q50 (525). But there's a sizable dip in popularity after that, with the Infiniti QX80 (422) receiving a take rate four just times higher than the industry average. The rest of the at-risk pack shook down as follows:

GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab (393)
Dodge Challenger (358)
Nissan Maxima (351)
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 crew cab (320)
Chrysler 300 AWD (293)
Mercedes-Benz S-Class long wheelbase (291)
Dodge Charger AWD (274)
Dodge Durango AWD (271)
Land Rover Range Rover (271)
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 crew cab 4WD (269)
Dodge Charger (266)
Nissan Titan crew cab short bed (250)
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 double cab (248)
GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab 4WD (241)
Audi A7 AWD (239)
Infiniti QX80 AWD (236)

Interesting that the Chevy/GMC pickups are at greater risk of being stolen, compared to Ford and RAM, which do not even appear on the Top20 list.

I learned that my old 1998 Civic that got stolen had a very high rate of theft. The data I looked at compared absolute number of thefts, compared to the number of cars registered or just out in the open. Late 90s Civic are apparently easy to steal. I found that out after it was stolen.
frown.gif

Chrysler minivans used to have a legacy of being easy to steal. Gang initiation in the 90's required young teens, 12-15 years old to steal a car. These were easy pickings.

At the hospital I worked at six were stolen one morning including a coworkers van. This story was relayed to her by the police.

Certain areas have very high auto theft rates and thus higher insurance premiums as a result. My area is one of those.

Originally Posted by SubLGT

..According to the Highway Loss Data Institute's list of vehicles most likely to be stolen, Hemi-equipped Dodge Challengers and Chargers are now the ride of choice for automotive miscreants. .

I see things haven't changed. I was an urban street cop 15 years ago and anytime we got behind one of these hemi powered cars in the hood, they were GONE!! They would straight smoke us and we didn't have a chance. The croooks loved them because they knew they weren't getting caught.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Originally Posted by SubLGT

..According to the Highway Loss Data Institute's list of vehicles most likely to be stolen, Hemi-equipped Dodge Challengers and Chargers are now the ride of choice for automotive miscreants. .

I see things haven't changed. I was an urban street cop 15 years ago and anytime we got behind one of these hemi powered cars in the hood, they were GONE!! They would straight smoke us and we didn't have a chance. The croooks loved them because they knew they weren't getting caught.

Didn't you have the same hemi powered car too?

Originally Posted by madRiver
Who wants an Infiniti? Odd car to steal given sales.

Maybe it shares a lot of parts with Nissans that are popular among people that might be willing to buy shady sourced parts and/or break down a lot so it's easy to sell those parts?

It is worthless data, like most vehicles are not fully inured for "lost or stolen"(no comprehensive, so not reported) and then the local PD says there is a 300% increase of stolen Toyota Camry's over last years numbers....

Then a co-worker left the key in his wife's car, car was stolen and found 6 months later 800 miles away in the N.Y.C. Bronx..... so I'm skeptical whatever the "police" report, and the "insurance special interest" report stolen car statistics. It is not complete on a national level.

Last edited:
I would have to believe a lot of stolen vehicles already have a key in them and the thieves basically just get in and drive away. This would make for a wide variety of stolen vehicles. If I were to steal a vehicle it would be a Corvette or Hellcat but most owners of these cars keep them in a safe spot. Sometimes these stolen vehicle stories are made with very limited data or proof. Its kind of like saying which pistol is stolen the most a Glock or a Ruger. It's whatever is in the vehicles unlocked glove box.

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
I would have to believe a lot of stolen vehicles already have a key in them and the thieves basically just get in and drive away. This would make for a wide variety of stolen vehicles. If I were to steal a vehicle it would be a Corvette or Hellcat but most owners of these cars keep them in a safe spot. Sometimes these stolen vehicle stories are made with very limited data or proof. Its kind of like saying which pistol is stolen the most a Glock or a Ruger. It's whatever is in the vehicles unlocked glove box.

I know of an auto auction in Florida that has thousands of cars on the lot, and everyone of them are left open with the keys in. Bad guys cut the fence and steal 10 at a time with their buddies. Night time roving security can't be everywhere especially when covering hundreds of acres.

My daughters QX 80 was stolen this past Tuesday from a valet parking lot in downtown St. Petersburg, Fl.

Last edited:
I'm curious about the Infiniti vehicles being stolen. Are they easier to take or is there a demand for them elsewhere?

Tig1, did your daughters Infiniti have a key fob start button system or a old style keyed ignition?

Originally Posted by tig1
My daughters QX 80 was stolen this past Tuesday from a valet parking lot in downtown St. Petersburg, Fl.

That happened to my uncle and I down in Cincinnati when we valeted his car. We were waiting for someone to leave the free lot when Jerry Springer in his Rolls Royce stole the spot so we had to use valet. One of the valets must have given the keys to someone who took the car south into KY to a college frat party. They went on a beer run after the party, took a turn way too fast and slid into a tree. One of the occupants died and the inside was full of blood. We received a call from the KY troopers at 5 am when they recovered the car. We had to go down there and get some of our personal things out of it(company car). My uncle didn't want to go near it so he paid one of the employees at the yard to get things out of it. Anyways pretty gruesome.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I'm curious about the Infiniti vehicles being stolen. Are they easier to take or is there a demand for them elsewhere?

Tig1, did your daughters Infiniti have a key fob start button system or a old style keyed ignition?

Key fob-push button start. It appears the key fob was stolen(attendant may have been in on it). Yesterday the St. Pete called her here in Illinois and the vehicle has been found. Her Ins co is taking care of getting it transported back to Illinois.

Last edited:
I see you edited your comment so I didn't have the whole story to start with.

Hope all goes well for your daughter and the car and it arrives unscathed.

I suspect gaining access to the key fob is how almost all of the cars on the list are now stolen.

Originally Posted by dishdude

I suspect gaining access to the key fob is how almost all of the cars on the list are now stolen.

I don't know how robust the encryption is on the fob signal, nor how many possible codes there are. It might be fairly easy to reverse engineer and build a transmitter that broadcasts all possible key codes in rapid sequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back