2014 F150 3.5EB Tuned 5w-30 Pennzoil Platinum 4,100 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attached is my 2nd UOA for my Tuned & 180 tstat F150. This go around had some mild to heavy towing between 3k lbs boat and a 6-7k lbs tractor and trailer. I've been attempting to stay between 4-5k on the oil changes, should i extend it out further?

I replaced the PP with Magnatec 5w-30. Will report back next UOA to see how the magnatec did.

blackstone 0001.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder what % of that viscosity reduction is shearing, and what is dilution.

UD

I use the same PP 5W-30.

The oil analysis company I use flagged by Boron when it reached 130, at Lower Reportable, & Lower Critical when it was at 78 on my most recent oil change.

The Baseline Sample I sent in had these number in the additive pack.
Code

Moly 83

Boron 224

Calcium 1033

Magnesium 631

Phosphorous 604

Zinc 732

Maybe I can go further, my last sample wasn't showing much for dilution.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZZman
Really not liking how weak the newer PP add pack looks.

Weak add pack ? I know nothing about add pack quality and performance, what to look for, whats important and not , however I use PP 5w30 in my 2014 eco f150 thinking it was a great option , now whats a better option ?

Originally Posted by UncleDave
I wonder what % of that viscosity reduction is shearing, and what is dilution.

UD

*Good question as PP 5W30 is at the lower end of a 30 weight (9.6 viscosity I believe) . In this example after 4,100 miles the viscosity is down to 8.7.
I never thought I would suggest PP 5W30 as my new "winter" oil ?

& the earlier Ford 3.5 EcoBoost was designed to run on a 5W-20, so I don't think the dilution, unless it gets to bottom end of a 5W-20 shouldn't be a real serious issue.

Originally Posted by Baveux

Weak add pack ? I know nothing about add pack quality and performance, what to look for, whats important and not , however I use PP 5w30 in my 2014 eco f150 thinking it was a great option , now whats a better option ?

M1 HM, Amsoil, Pennzoil Ultra, Castrol products to name a few. all look to have stronger add packs from looking at the UOA's.

Covshark (OP): Looking forward to seeing your Magnatec UOA...assume it is latest SN+ version???

Regarding PP, wouldn't you "feel" better if visc were higher, and TBN (judging from earlier UOA) was higher after a mere 4900 miles? IMHO, there is something about PP that some EB's don't like... and no I don't feel better using a lab (Amsoil/Polaris) that truly tests for fuel dilution (because they show it actually does exist in my engine). Then again, maybe you don't have that fuel issue...although something is causing you to end up with 5w20 oil (...even if "just barely" according to BStone). My visc was worse, and Ultra Plat did not appear to have really fixed that problem either.

Rotella Gas Truck? Or maybe the Magnatec. With any luck you'll have another UOA before I have to decide.

I've got about 5200 miles on the magnatec as of now. I'm taking a trip this Thanksgiving and will be changing the oil very shortly. A sample will be sent for analysis when the oil is changed.

I've been lucky and have picked up many quarts and 5 gallon jugs of rotella gas truck now that it's on sale for $2/quart. Castrol edge is going in next, then RGT after that.

I don't know if it's "better", but Rotella Gas Truck Synthetic has what looks like a pretty robust additive pack, supposedly tailored to trucks and suv's (not really buying that type of advertising, but). The moly is higher than PP. made by the same company, I believe. I'm sure the base stocks are not the same or anything, but the additives seem a bit higher in the Rotella.

Originally Posted by Railrust

I don't know if it's "better", but Rotella Gas Truck Synthetic has what looks like a pretty robust additive pack, supposedly tailored to trucks and suv's (not really buying that type of advertising, but). The moly is higher than PP. made by the same company, I believe. I'm sure the base stocks are not the same or anything, but the additives seem a bit higher in the Rotella.

Thanks railrust ... Ill use my stash of PP and Ill look at the rotella :)

new update attached

had lots of towing 2-3k lbs and sometime up to 5-6k lbs towing with tractor. Still 5* 93 octane perf/tow tune.

[Linked Image]

I would use the 0W40 or 5W40 version. The oil seems to be thinning or shearing or diluting into the 20 territory. Both Ford and Blackstone dont seem too concerned about it, but I personally would not be comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back