Jaws on Cape Cod - no longer fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 1975 the the fictional movie Jaws was created. A small tourist town on Cape Cod ravaged by a killer great white. Some say it was based on a real life story of multiple shark attacks over a two-week span in New Jersey during the early 1900s .

Well, the great whites have moved in. It's not safe to swim in Cape Cod waters anymore. Just like the movie helicopters overhead spottings sharks and lifeguards blowing whistles pulling people out of the water. Attacks here and there. A tourist died last year.

But why? Is it just the protection of thier fave food, seals? There is definitely a population boom of seals in the area no doubt.

Or..

Are they fleeing other parts of the ocean because the Orca has a taste for shark liver? I know that sounds crazy but watching Shark Week there was a show about it. Captured on film. Orcas ripping open great whites for the liver. And then the great whites disappear never to be seen again.

Is that why the great whites have moved in two East Coast water?

https://www.newsweek.com/orcas-killing-great-white-sharks-eating-livers-607002

I was watching a documentary on this a few weeks ago. It's because their food source has moved (climate, resources, etc) and thus, the sharks move with it.

Seals are now protected on Cape Cod, where they weren't in the past.
It is now illegal to touch or impinge upon a seal in any way.
Seal populations have exploded and the sharks have followed the food.
It also doesn't hurt that the waters off Cape Cod or relatively cold, which the sharks like.

A human lying on a board has about the same silhouette from underneath as a seal. The shark takes a bite, realizes its mistake and goes in search of a real seal. Humans don't yield enough calories to be worth digesting
grin2.gif

The last of the 3 NJ shark attacks occurred in a creek a distance from the ocean. Only shark that can tolerate fresh water is a bull shark

Our former GM was a long term sea fisherman.

He's seeing seals off coasts that there's no record of them evern being...and the sharks follow.

It's not that term which cannot be mentioned, just growing populations making space, with people not predating on them.

Not to make light of shark attacks, but I have to laugh at these documentaries that talk about all of the uprising shark attacks and what can be done about them. The solution is simple; stay out of the water! I've never heard of anyone being attacked by a shark while they were on land...

Originally Posted by Shannow

Yep the program I watched matches that story. The Great White goes deep like that Escaping the Orcas. A defense mechanism. I guess the Orca can't go deep and the sharks know it. And sometimes they get eaten on the way down.

Originally Posted by Shannow

Or... In this video which verifies that indeed orcas are killing Great Whites. They flip the shark upside down so it goes limp like sharks do. Then they rip out the liver and let the carcass sink. The liver floats to the surface and they eat that. if that carcass had some type of tracking tag on it well that would explain it

Originally Posted by grampi
Not to make light of shark attacks, but I have to laugh at these documentaries that talk about all of the uprising shark attacks and what can be done about them. The solution is simple; stay out of the water! I've never heard of anyone being attacked by a shark while they were on land...

Theres literally 6 movies about sharks traveling on land via tornado. Smh.

Originally Posted by Donald
I think its just back to the way it was (a hundred or two hundred years ago) before people slaughtered the majority of the seals.

Bingo, I agree. It isn't so much that the situation is evolving as much as it is they may be returning to the previous condition. More seals and more great whites = going back to places they haven't been in awhile.

We are seeing blue herons everywhere where I live. When I was growing up, we never saw them. It isn't that they've moved into areas they've not been before. It is that they are recovering from the effects of DDT or whatever was hurting them. Same thing with Eagles. I never saw them as a kid. Now I see them all the time, swooping down and catching fish 50 yards from me when I can't get a single bite!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis

You ever heard of those sharks attacking people?

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis

You ever heard of those sharks attacking people?

You mean you've never seen a shark fly through the air during a tornado and grab a little kid along the way?

Fishers of the "Chilean Sea Bass" (toothfish) have been throwing bundles of dynamite at Orcas to keep them off of their lines. That may explain Orca migrational changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back