Would you pay a $5 fee for full service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would do it under a couple conditions.

A) The service station gave a known, significant portion of each $5 payment to the employee's payroll.

B) The service station was employing folks that were trying to pull themselves out of a bad place (halfway house, prisoner reform, drug rehab etc).

Originally Posted by Wolf359
It's a strange concept. There's actually a few stations around here that are mini-serve. Still confusing for some people. All they do is pump the gas for you and they're cash only stations. I always wonder if they're a money laundering front for something else. Anyway the whole point of the mini serve and cash only seems to be that it's a little cheaper than the regular gas stations where you pump your own gas. They're not that common though so don't go to them that often. So if they're already pumping the gas for you, why would you pay $5 just to check the oil and tire pressure? Especially when most cars now have tire pressure monitoring and some cars have oil level sensors now.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I would never pay that fee.
crackmeup2.gif
whistle.gif

My older sister always spent the extra money and went to full serve gas stations where they checked the fluids, air in the tires, etc. Her husband didn't. We laughed at her.
Her current Camry has over 400k miles on it, and is still going strong. Her husband (not a BITOG type) went through 3 engines in 2 years in his Chevy truck. Apparently there was a hood release issue, and he ran the old and each new engine out of oil.
I stiil pump my own gas, but I've also stopped laughing at my sister.

Originally Posted by maxdustington

A smaller premium in an affluent area would do the trick. The full serve near me is in an area where the houses are around a million now for sure.

I still see full service in the more ritzier part of the Bay Area, there's actually one in the foothills of the Berkeley Hills. I guess some rich dude/woman can't be bothered filling up their AMG Benz or Range Rover. Although Teslas outnumber those now in that neighborhood.

I've seen gas stations adjoined to car washes where you can't get gas unless you get a car wash. You still need to pump your own gas and check your own oil, but hey, you're also getting a full-service car wash for the price of admission.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
It's a strange concept. There's actually a few stations around here that are mini-serve. Still confusing for some people. All they do is pump the gas for you and they're cash only stations. I always wonder if they're a money laundering front for something else. Anyway the whole point of the mini serve and cash only seems to be that it's a little cheaper than the regular gas stations where you pump your own gas. They're not that common though so don't go to them that often.

We've had something like that over the years here, but without the service, just discount stations with cash only. One of the cab companies was running a few stations that way here in years past. I think they operate now using credit and debit, given that credit and debit fees have gone down significantly and cash handling fees have gone up. I tended to stay away from them. One of the last cabs I drove was gasoline instead of LPG, and it would ping on the discount fuel.

Our Co-ops still have full service, but as others have pointed out, I don't want any "help" filling my car or cleaning my windows. LPG was full service, but they didn't want to monkey with other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back