OCD About OCI's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
I think the most OCD topic here on BITOG is 5W20 VS 5W30.
27.gif

Yeah, it should be 0w20 -vs- 5w30 … 🤓

I'm pretty anal, but not to the level of changing it every 1,000 miles....but if I go over 5,000?? I break out in a rash, I get all weird. Ha.

I'm totally anal about undercoating (which is probably even stranger). I fluid Film twice a year and do several touch ups in between. Then whenever my truck is on the lift for maintenance I go over any exposed areas of the frame with white lithium grease...I mean like any area. I'll walk around with a flashlight and a tub of lithium grease and just dab the stuff everywhere like I'm a surgeon or artist....like I'm creating my masterpiece. It's crazy on so many levels that I hate myself a little (just a bit).

Originally Posted by Chesterr
The guy who towed his car for a oc at 2997 is one of funniest story's I have ever heard....I have OCD and think about dumb things too over and over. Gritting my teeth holding off changing oil on my 05 cavalier blank box even though I am still under 3k. Reg Pennzoil is in there now and I am not sure motor will survive haha...putting QS syn in this time at 108k miles. Engine and transmission run great and body is in decent condition for nh. Pzl 10 30 was only 9 bucks at wm....buyin a overmaintained car from bitog nutjobs is a great idea

You have a really good point, buying from a bob is the oil guy regular is probably not a bad idea...think about it, we are the people OCD enough to not only over analyze our maintenance, but come on here and write about it. That's the person I want to buy a used car from.

In my duramax I change it once a year, at one time to the day, I remember going out to the garage at 10;30 PM at night to change it because it was one year to the day. Does that qualify for OCD

Originally Posted by Railrust
Originally Posted by Chesterr
The guy who towed his car for a oc at 2997 is one of funniest story's I have ever heard....I have OCD and think about dumb things too over and over. Gritting my teeth holding off changing oil on my 05 cavalier blank box even though I am still under 3k. Reg Pennzoil is in there now and I am not sure motor will survive haha...putting QS syn in this time at 108k miles. Engine and transmission run great and body is in decent condition for nh. Pzl 10 30 was only 9 bucks at wm....buyin a overmaintained car from bitog nutjobs is a great idea

You have a really good point, buying from a bob is the oil guy regular is probably not a bad idea...think about it, we are the people OCD enough to not only over analyze our maintenance, but come on here and write about it. That's the person I want to buy a used car from.

ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by Patrick0525
Wasn't the OLM as % was supposed to address OC OCD issue?

Yes, the problem is in certain instances the people run it to a % where the oil has passed its useful life. I confirmed the accuracy of mine with UOAs. Let me put it this way, running it to 10%, or even 20% would have been a mistake. I don't follow mine. Having said that having a UOA to determine accuracy of the OLM and how long to run your oil might be beneficial. I posted these numbers before, here is what a UOA told me:

I have the 3.6L in my 2016 Rubicon, I used PU 5W30 and a Fram Ultra filter. My OLM was currently @ 53% with 4,411 miles since the last oil change. UOAs show a TBN of 2.9 after 5K miles. 3,980 mile OCI had a TBN of 3.9. I settled at a 5K OCI, which is a year give or take and an easy number to remember. I know I can run the oil a bit longer than 5K miles, but certainly not to 10 or even 20% on the OLM.

Some people swear by them, some swear at them, I ignore them.

I am OCD according to wife. I start looking for a sale when car hits 3k then I want to wait until 5k but most times I change it earlier as I bought the oil and filter so it must go in. Longest I've ever went was 6k when my dad passed away. My vehicle has an OLM but I get to nervous to use it. I have OCD in life as being cleaned and when I do a project I will research to no end anyhow I have done work before then double or triple check work. I was slower at work because of this. If I was in a hurry with a customer vehicle I would have them bring it in to check fluids after a week so I could make sure I put clip on. So yes some of us are OCD and can be a bit aggravating at times.

Originally Posted by Doublehaul
I'm ocd...but in the other direction. I won't let anyone else touch my car and I like to extend the oci. I go 10 but am looking for 20. With a tbn of 5 after 10k and no make up oil I may have found the lube to do it

Sounds like me but pray tell, what's the lube you're referring to?

I was "partly OCD" about OCI ,1 year or X km's (X was usually manufacturer recommendation divided by 2 or 3).What I mean is that I felt bad to exceed this interval,scheduled an oil change on time etc.Not going to extremes...
After some years of reading BITOG,not anymore.
2 years became a joke ,even almost reached 3 years.manufacturer OCI,no problem.
Thanks BITOG
beer3.gif

Anyone posting on a forum regarding motor oil is at least a little OCD (guilty as charged).
I for one try to hit the 0% mark on my OLM as close as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back