Would you pay a $5 fee for full service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd pay a couple bucks- probably not 5, when it's snowing. Idiots spill too much fuel and with wet snow on the ground, the fuel doesn't evaporate, meaning when I get out, the fuel gets on my shoes, then my car smells like gas fumes for a couple hours as I drive.

Originally Posted by user52165
Full service means different things for different people.

Indeed. But you still need to pay extra for full service.

I've had to remove inappropriate commentary twice. The next will get significant time away.

No. With tire pressure sensors and low oil lights there is not much of a need for full service. Most cars do not burn any oil anyway between changes. The only thing that one would need to do is fill the windshield washer fluid. There is a reason full service stations slowly faded into the sunset and that's because todays vehicles are very low maintenance and run without so much TLC.

I have a full service station near my house. No extra charge for the full service. I usually only go there to fill up my boat because it is pretty easy to get in and out of. I politely tell the attendant I don't need any help.

It's a strange concept. There's actually a few stations around here that are mini-serve. Still confusing for some people. All they do is pump the gas for you and they're cash only stations. I always wonder if they're a money laundering front for something else. Anyway the whole point of the mini serve and cash only seems to be that it's a little cheaper than the regular gas stations where you pump your own gas. They're not that common though so don't go to them that often. So if they're already pumping the gas for you, why would you pay $5 just to check the oil and tire pressure? Especially when most cars now have tire pressure monitoring and some cars have oil level sensors now.

My first job as a kid was working in a full service (Shell) station. It was a busy station..the avg customer liked it. They often asked for their tires and fluids to be checked. My hands and room (because of my work shirts) always stunk like gas. My mom would get sooo... if I forgot to put my dirty work clothes out back....‚

Last edited by a moderator:
I HATE having other people pump my gas!
I was in a big hurry to get gas before a meeting at work a few years ago and pulled into a station that had just reopened under a new name...when I got out of my car, I saw that an attendant was heading over and then saw the FULL SERVICE signs on the few pumps they had (tiny place). I immediately jumped back in my car and drove to a self serve station I knew, I was late for my meeting but that was less important to me.
I actually really like the giant rest stops on the NJ Turnpike because they have a good choice of places to eat, but I can't stand that I have to get my gas pumped for me in that state.

For as long as I can do it myself, I will. Maybe when I can't I would be ok with such a service, but for now, nope.

I wouldn't. I didn't even like the attendants in Oregon filling up my car (but they were cool people to talk too.)

I'll bet my wife would. She still insists on using the Valvoline oil change place even though I would prefer to change her oil myself. She says that's not my job. While I appreciate that sentiment I still cringe at the thought, especially since the last time they cross threaded the drain bolt.

My mom died in 86. I know self service wasn't quite as prevalent back then but as far as I know she never once pumped her own gas.

I MIGHT pay it in the middle of a blizzard when it's like -10° but not under normal circumstances.

As I suspected, this is the wrong crowd for this type of service. If we change our own oil to make sure it is done right, gas is that much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back