specs on BMW MTF-LT-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the used oil with a substantial tinge of goldenish yellow/orange color , and not darkened ?

Darkened, but the underlying color is
otherwise similar to the new oil.

Note: the UOA & VOA are on my post from 6/3/19
in this thread.

Last edited:
From the VOA analysis shown for the BMW VOA in the pdf, this cannot be the Pentosin fluid I mentioned earlier: The fluid in the VOA is a 75W90.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
As I recall it is another Low Viscosity MTF with a 100C vis of around 5.9 cSt, and similar to the BMW (Pentosin) MTF-LT-3

In the analysis shown in the VOA pdf it is stated as, "BMW MTF L-4" which I assume was the exact nonmenclature on the bottle?

Notice, the Pentosin fluids state, "MTF-LT-X." The VOA analysis says "L-4."

Again, what fluid was shown in "2009 JCW CLUB-TR" UOA pdf? Was this the factory fill? The fluid shown here would be very similar to the Pentosin MTF-LT-3 or a 70W80 or thereabouts.

Bottom line: I don't think the fluid shown in UOA was the BMW MTF L-4 as I have never seen a 75W90 shear down to 7.x cSt.

Another question: How many miles on the transmission and how many miles on the fluid shown in the UOA?

Last edited:
The VOA analysis is BMW Group MTF-LT-4 SAE 75W-90 p/n 83 22 2 339 223 API GL-3 GL-4 straight from the bottle.
The UOA is what I assumed was factory fill at about 37,000 miles. I'm not the original owner. Someone owned it for the
first couple years, then Swedish Motor's owner's wife owned it for the next 7-8 years. They didn't think the MTF had ever
been changed and they keep good records at the shop (this is where I get my MINI work done when I'm not doing it myself).
I had expressed doubt about the identity of the original fluid several posts up, but others said no, it just sheared down.
LT-3 starts with a 100 KV of only 6.1, so maybe the original LT-4 was partially replaced with LT-3 somewhere along the line.

Originally Posted by cristo
Darkened, but the underlying color is
otherwise similar to the new oil.

Note: the UOA & VOA are on my post from 6/3/19
in this thread.

Thanks.

On second thought, the old oil had way too
much calcium zinc and phosphate to be
mostly BMW MTF LT-3, and too much
zinc and phosphate and not enough calcium
to be sheared down BMW MTF LT-4.
I wonder what it actually was??