Best detergent oil for rings currently available

Status
Not open for further replies.
GM 5.3 AFM just started consuming oil ~30k miles. Need to run a few short OCIs with a high detergent oil to clean ring packs and also disabling AFM as we speak. What's the consensus on the most aggressive cleaning oil available? Amsoil SS, PUP, M1EP/AP? Has to be available in 0w-20 flavor.

Thanks.

Valvoline Premium Blue Restore. Just be prepared for $70/gallon.

Edit: Nevermind, didn't finish the sentence. That's not available in 0W-20 lol. You should still run it though.

Last edited:
Probably that Valvoline oil that Cummins recommends for its diesels to clean the rings. Premium Blue Restore it's called. Bring money.

Perhaps Kreen, but i would not run it with a 20wt. as it will thin it out. I've used kreen in saturns. Its one of the few oil adds i'll use if needed.

Last edited:
Reference is made to JustN89 above. This is made by Valvoline for Cummins to specifically clean ring packs. It's a bit expensive, see thread below.

Valvoline Cummins

See this Thread

Good luck! Kreen is good too, as mentioned above.

One run of 10W-30 shouldn't be any problem at all for that thing. The Restore is the only oil out there currently designed to do what you're asking. Probably be the best bet.

Before spending big bucks try acouple tanks with tcw3 added in as strong a solution as you feel is prudent. I have had good luck cleaning harley valve and combustion chambers uing it. No reason to think it wouldn't help your rings and it won't hurt. My $0.02

I run Kreen on my diesel. 1/2 Quart in oil and it evoprates. Run 500 miles and replace oil and filter. My engine oil capacity is about 2 gallon's.

I'm guessing that you don't want to manually clean them, but you want a 'fix in a bottle'?

Rings typically get stuck in their grooves by carbon - in fuel PEA is best for removing carbon so try filling your tank with 90% fuel and 10% redline SI1.

For oil, Kreen is a good choice of additive.

However nothing, and I mean NOTHING, is as good as doing it with a scraper and some elbow grease.

other options are a piston soak with berrymans or other harsh chemical. or get it hot, drain it, fill to the brim with diesel and leave it. Drain after 24 hours.

personally I like the manual clean.

Originally Posted by JustN89
Valvoline Premium Blue Restore. Just be prepared for $70/gallon.

Edit: Nevermind, didn't finish the sentence. That's not available in 0W-20 lol. You should still run it though.

I agree..,. Big 💰 though...

I ran two rounds of PEA cleaner in my Freestyle a while back, and changed the oil and filter after both tanks with cleaner. I used Gumout One and Done, two consecutive tanks treated. When I cut the oil filter open there was an abnormally large amount of carbon in the bottom of the filter can and in the pleats of the media. PEA cleaner works. It's about the easiest way to attempt a ring groove/piston top and intake valve cleanup. Car has 305k on it at the moment btw.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by faltic
Before spending big bucks try acouple tanks with tcw3 added in as strong a solution as you feel is prudent. I have had good luck cleaning harley valve and combustion chambers uing it. No reason to think it wouldn't help your rings and it won't hurt. My $0.02

I'm not sure if the cats would like that
21.gif

Just dont overthink too much..... Any HDEO with its higher amount of Ca/Mg would help to loosen rings...

But HDEOs are not "oily water" wich you want to use...

The choice is yours....you can do it for cheap...or you can overthink here and buy tons of miracle products wich will only empty your wallet
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Just dont overthink too much..... Any HDEO with its higher amount of Ca/Mg would help to loosen rings...

But HDEOs are not "oily water" wich you want to use...

The choice is yours....you can do it for cheap...or you can overthink here and buy tons of miracle products wich will only empty your wallet
smile.gif

I surely would NOT go and use a HDEO in a gasoline engine if it's not rated SN

The outboard industry deals with carbon from the fuel side … and some of these are strong doses of Techron in a rebadged bottle. Try a double dose tank and single dose tank of PEA products … change oil …
can always run a 10w30 Delo behind that to give HDEO a swing at it too

If you have carbon on the rings you are not driving the truck hard enough. After a 20 minute drive hit the gas and let her rip for a few hard runs.

You're asking for 0W20 so I'm assuming we're talking about a direct injected L83 (2014 and up) 5.3? I'd think a treatment in the fuel would be a better first bet combined with an "Italian tuneup". Mine has 48k on it now and about once a week I'll take it on the turnpike and run it at 70-75mph in 3rd or 4th gear until I start seeing the temp needle creep up, that killed the little bit of oil consumption it had when I first got it at 28k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back