How Many of You Use High Mileage Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by diyjake
I've never used HM but curious how bad of a leak can it cure? I would imagine if it's dropping on the floor then HM would not help in that situation?

If you're getting no more than a 50 cent piece size of oil on the floor overnight, it's probably worth a try.

Much larger than that and the odds of any stop leak fixing it go down dramatically. Plus what type of seal is suspected of leaking matters (a stop leak is not likely to do anything for cork, for example). This is how it was described to me when I called Bars Leaks once.

I use it off and on, probably every other oil change. I'll use M1 EP then M1 EPHM for example and the same with Shell products. Haven't noticed any difference in preventing leaks even when I use to use it on consecutive oil changes. don't have any dripping on the ground leaks, a little "sweating" here and there. I don't buy it for that at all but as others have stated they tend to have more detergents and antioxidants. I try to use the ones that ARE NOT dexos compliant as I know they put limitations on the good stuff.

I started using it on my 2010 Odyssey at 100,716 miles. Prior to that it had had dealer bulk 5W20 Synthetic blend for its whole life. The HM oil makes me feel warm and fuzzy. I have a minor leak at the rear main seal but that's the only leak, and there is no consumption issues that I've seen. I'll stick with it mostly because it's a good feeling.

I use Penzoil sync HM 5-30 in my focus with 206k on it. Doesn't leak a drop. Switched over from amsoil signature perhaps 40k miles ago. My wife's camry uses Penzoil syn with 86k on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back