Sometimes I think upper tier is overrated

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has a 2008 Ford Edge SEL with 170,000 km that we bought new.

Ever since it came off warranty, all it's ever got is QSGB and a FRAM orange can every 5000 km. It also gets a new FRAM orange air filter once a year.

The only issues we have had with the vehicle is the usual wear and tear such as brakes, wipers and bulbs that burned out on the headlights.

So there.

Yeah but if I spend a butt load of money on Arms&Legs oil or Schloofers', I get to put in my sig....

You changed your oil and filter at a reasonable interval, that's all that is needed for long vehicle life. You could have skipped the QSGB and fram filter and used Wal-Mart Supertech oil and filter with same results and saved some money. The key is regular oil changes, that's all that matters.

Originally Posted by Corollaman
You changed your oil and filter at a reasonable interval, that's all that is needed for long vehicle life. You could have skipped the QSGB and fram filter and used Wal-Mart Supertech oil and filter with same results and saved some money. The key is regular oil changes, that's all that matters.

That's the golden rule ðŸ‘

yup, oils and filters are getting good even for "cheap" stuff.
You can go to Walmart and get a 5 qt jug of oil and a oil filter for $17 that will work fine in most any engine for 5000 miles, and 7500 in many as well.
Or you can go to a parts store and spend $50 on some "better" oil and filter, and most still run it for 5000 miles.

We have a 2014 Edge with 57k miles and it gets whatever the cheapest synthetic I can find every 7500 miles or so. Usually it is QSUD from Menards or M1 from Costco and rebate. My cutoff is $3 per quart. It has had maybe two dealer changes. Engine looks so clean you can eat off of it. Hope I get the same life out of mine you did yours.

What is "upper tier"? So I like to spend more on my oil changes....I'm not telling anyone how to spend their money. If you like Fram orange and ST..cool. I like my $65 Liquimoly kits from my favorite Euro online retailer. Is that ok?

Originally Posted by TiGeo
What is "upper tier"? So I like to spend more on my oil changes....I'm not telling anyone how to spend their money. If you like Fram orange and ST..cool. I like my $65 Liquimoly kits from my favorite Euro online retailer. Is that ok?

You both are entitled to your opinion and you both can be right since value is perceived and in the eye of the beholder.

Last edited:
I use "upper tier" PAO/mPAO/POE oil with a Fram Ultra filter changed every 10,000 miles (16,093 km) with great results. Even while towing a 6,000 lbs load, it holds 210-220°F oil temp (~10°F less than M1 HM 10w-30) and the engine is nice and quiet. A single oil change costs me about $80 which is about what I spend in gas every 2 weeks. If I figure up the cost of fuel, tires, taxes/registration, insurance, etc... engine, trans, and gear oil maintenance combined accounts for
Also, the company is a sponsor in my hobby so I try to support those that support us.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Yeah but if I spend a butt load of money on Arms&Legs oil or Schloofers', I get to put in my sig....

And? 🤣

Originally Posted by KevGuy

Ever since it came off warranty, all it's ever got is QSGB and a FRAM orange can every 5000 km. It also gets a new FRAM orange air filter once a year.

The only issues we have had with the vehicle is the usual wear and tear such as brakes, wipers and bulbs that burned out on the headlights.

So there.

Good to hear, sounds like your regimen is working for you.

"Upper tier" is not overrated. It just isn't necessary for your circumstances.

*I did just that using just VWB with jobber filters in a '93 Dodge Caravan and still got sludge in the engine .
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Originally Posted by KevGuy

So there.

Most vehicles do not go to the boneyard due to a engine issue. Most cars get basic oil changes at a quick change place, and indy shop or dealer.

A small percentage of people change there own oil. And an even smaller percentage use synthetic and high end filters.

Originally Posted by Donald

Most vehicles do not go to the boneyard due to a engine issue. Most cars get basic oil changes at a quick change place, and indy shop or dealer.

Good point. Have ya looked up the price on a rebuilt tranny? (rhetorical cuzz I'm sure you have)..For my car it STARTS around $3k for a rebuild.. that's just for the tranny!... what would labour be?.. another $500, $1k?

With preferred pricing Amsoil comes a little more than Mobil One purchased at regular price at auto zone and pep boys...at least near me.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Yeah, waste of money. I only have one pair of underpants. I turn them inside out so I can get that second day of use out of them and go commando on the third day. I wash them on the third day at work utilizing the water cooler . I bring the toothbrush on that third day to attack the stubborn skid marks and feel like a new man with that fresh pair of skivvies the next day. The wife/sister howls that her tooth is endangered by skipping that days brushin'.

Interesting story. Most "conventional" oils are really synthetic blends and are more than capable of protecting engines for 5,000 to 7,500 and beyond in some cases. If you have a performance engine or are doing extended drains a full synthetic makes perfect sense. Now if you fall for the marketing hype by all means do whatever makes you feel comfortable it's your vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back