Expired inspection stickers

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have annual inspections up here. I don't love it but it does seem to keep a lot of junk off the roads. While going on my evening runs, I glance over at parked cars and see a lot of expired/failed inspection stickers. Even saw one from 2018 lol. Guess these folks are lucky to not have been pulled over yet.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
I wish we had safety inspections here. All California cares about is if they pass smog or not.

Yep. Does not have to have brakes, can have bald tires, bad ball joints etc But if it runs clean you can drive it.

I wish we had safety inspections here. All California cares about is if they pass smog or not.

Ditto. Smog is one thing but having a mechanically sound car is another.

Less of an issue in California because cars don't rust out there
smile.gif

I drive my Florida car up to PA. Where I immediately get pulled over for a missing inspection sticker. It really made me feel sorry for the folks who live up North.

We don't have rust, but we have people who don't maintain their vehicles at all. At least commercial vehicles have to be inspected. We will do the inspection and its funny when the fleet manager of a cheap fleet of clapped out vans tries to slip us money or alcohol to get them to pass.

Originally Posted by Cujet
I drive my Florida car up to PA. Where I immediately get pulled over for a missing inspection sticker. It really made me feel sorry for the folks who live up North.

As a safety inspection mechanic in PA, I do not feel sorry for people living up here. People don't want to maintain basic safety items. Leaking struts, lights out, and bald tires and exhaust leaks: NO THANK YOU

I drive my Florida car up to PA. Where I immediately get pulled over for a missing inspection sticker.

Florida doesn't do safety inspections.

I hate the I'm LE statement but certain times it helps with the point.

Here in the Westchester NY area this is nothing but a big money grab. Just another way to stick it up you xxx. What's worse is over the last 5 years there have been so many fraudulent inspections stickers that the operator has no idea of. And in NY its a Vehicle and Traffic Law misdemeanor. Think about that. You take your car to a shop they give you an inspection and a receipt. next thing you know your getting arrested? It's like cigarette stamps....oh no don't mess with the tax man. Often, if you're not a jerk, my guys will scrape your sticker and make you get a new one in 24 hours.

I was born and bred in MA and they had the whole "excise" tax on your vehicle. Another government grab of your dollars.

Money for so many of these taxes are supposed to go to things like keeping highways and roadways maintained. I work in one of the more affluent counties in America...hey Bill and Hillary! Yet road signs are often covered with vegetation and plenty of crummy roads.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

Less of an issue in California because cars don't rust out there
smile.gif

No they don't. But our roads and freeways are so bad that suspension components are constantly wearing or breaking. I just put new ball joints in my jeep. Has anybody here ever seen a street jeep wrangler that needed them? Our FJ has had the passenger side replaced and need the other side now.

I've seen more wrecks by idiots behind the wheels of very nice vehicles than I've seen wrecks caused by "heaps". Whether or not safety/emissions inspections are a good thing is a matter of opinion and I can certainly see both sides. However, more needs to be done about distracted/unskilled driving than what is currently being done, and if that money has to come from enforcing safety/emissions less, so be it IMO.

Nebraska doesn't have emissions or safety inspections now. years ago we did have safety inspection. My shop did those inspections. I did not follow the book to the letter, but used common sense. When I failed a vehicle, about 1/2 the time the customer would go to a certain place that everybody knew didn't look at the car, just sold you a sticker. Some people would have things fixed.

NJ used to have safety inspections... but a few years ago, they got rid of it and kept the emissions inspection. So, that sticker is emissions inspection.

But... cops can still cite you for obvious safety violations

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Ontario = no emissions or annual inspections. OH YEAH! Bring on the heaps!

ditto for all but 7 of the 88 counties in Ohio. the ones that do (around Cleveland) it's a "smog check", without a sniffer. simply an OBD plugin. they even have a few "self Service" Kiosks...
OHIO E Check Homepage

Last edited:
It would be a very good idea if properly administered. Back in the early 80's Virginia required a safety inspection semi-annual, and later moved to an annual inspection. While far from perfect, It did keep a lot of cars off the road that were not road worthy.

So the cop can't tell a Florida plate from a Pennsylvania plate?? But his eyes could spot a missing sticker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back