Tie Rods...Both?

Status
Not open for further replies.
04 Camry needs inner tie rods on one side.

Should I just do both and get it over with? In shop and I don't want to wait 6 months and have the other side go. Or would it not?

I'm sure they are due. I need the car for another 5 years.

Just chattin' here. Appreciate the advice.

Last edited:
If a shop is doing it and requires an alignment afterwards, might as well. If I was DIYing it, I'd just do one side since I would align it myself. BTW if you're doing the inner, the outers can't be far behind.

You might as well
smile.gif

use Sankei 555 or Proforged

They tend to wear the same right? With tie rods metal fatigue can happen quite suddenly. So I'd do both on one side and at the very least have them inspected on the other side.

Do both sides, inner and outer, and be done. You will need an alignment, so you might as well do them all, and avoid the need to do another alignment down the road when the other side starts rattling ...

Tie rods should always be replaced in pairs.

Whether they are or not depends on one's budget, mechanic, and thought on the matter.

Cost of alignment drives these kinds of decisions for me. That and how long I expect to keep it. One of my 3 vehicles has a lifetime alignment policy. So I might go with one side for that and both for the others.

Do both inner and outer. You are halfway there anyway. Good chance that the others are not far behind in wear. As stated, you will need an alignment regardless. If you do the other at another time, you will need another alignment. Save time and cash.

Do them both. Use OEM, the factory Toyota pieces are made pretty well.

There was an issue with the right side of the rack leaking due to a bad seal on the 2004-2010 Siennas and 2004-2009 Lexus RXs made in Canada, the Camrys might be immune but if there's a partial rebuild kit for the right side of the rack it's not a bad idea to replace the seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back