05 Tacoma drain/refill interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been changing coolant in my 05 Tacoma 4.0 at 30k intervals using Toyota SLL. I am currently at 147k with no signs of leakage at water pump. Considering either extending the interval to 50K or switching to Zerex AF to reduce my cost. Your opinions are welcome.

Last edited:
Considering the Super Long Life coolant is spec'd to be used at 100k mile intervals, I think you'll be ok with extending the interval.

Mine was in 73k and it was fine. I'm sure 50k or more is still a conservative number.

Originally Posted By: Back40
I have been changing coolant in my 05 Tacoma 4.0 at 30k intervals using Toyota SLL. I am currently at 147k with no signs of leakage at water pump. Considering either extending the interval to 50K or switching to Zerex AF to reduce my cost. Your opinions are welcome.

At 30K you are throwing money out the window with the SLL coolant so a more reasonable service interval will cut cost down. 75-100K or 10 yrs is fine with the SLL as long as the system hasn't been contaminated with any other coolant. On engines with a timing belt it usually get done at the same time as the water pump and belt.

I think you should change coolant based on time, not miles. The Corolla in the sig has been getting Zerex Asian (radiator drain and fill) every 3 years, after the initial 6 years on the original coolant. No leaks, original WP, radiator, hoses. In fact the whole car is original minus the serpentine belt tensioner.

Extend the interval to 50k. Personally, I would change Toyota Long life coolant every 100k miles.

Last edited:
I have 148k on my 2008 Tacoma Prerunner. I've never changed the coolant or added any either. I believe in preventative maintenance on most fluids but with antifreeze I'll run it to 150k then drain the entire system. If going longer on coolant bothers you then by all means change it but IMO wait longer.

I have 209,000 miles on my 2003 Tacoma 2.7 liter. I will be changing the coolant for the 4th time to the Zerex red. It has the original water pump. I have changed t-stat, hoses and radiator at 160,000 miles. It runs like new. I would change every 5 years or 50000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back