Fear of flying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any one else here afraid of flying? The company I work for wanted me to go out of town for a trade show type thing and said we would be flying but I had to say no. They didn't get mad and understood but I felt bad.

I haven't been on a plain since I came back from Germany on Evergreen Airlines in 1981. It was a military hop and was the worst 9 hours of my life, it was so full the kids had to sit on their parents lap. The plain would feel like it was going to fall apart every time we hit turbulence which seemed like every 10 minutes. I swore when we landed I would never board a plain again and I haven't. I thought for sure we were going to end up in the Atlantic.

I have a FOF. I travel occasionally for work and at first I really struggled with it, but after several flights I'm now doing much better. Docs can prescribe meds to help put you at ease - I found they are only moderately successful. I'm to the point now that I don't need them anymore for the most part. I usually do just fine on jets but prop planes still spook me, especially when we hit turbulence. I understand the physics of what keeps the bird in the air, and that flying is statistically much safer than driving, etc. - but despite all of the logic I'm still not very comfortable with it. I think the more you are exposed to it, the better you start to feel about it.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
Any one else here afraid of flying? The company I work for wanted me to go out of town for a trade show type thing and said we would be flying but I had to say no. They didn't get mad and understood but I felt bad.

I haven't been on a plain since I came back from Germany on Evergreen Airlines in 1981. It was a military hop and was the worst 9 hours of my life, it was so full the kids had to sit on their parents lap. The plain would feel like it was going to fall apart every time we hit turbulence which seemed like every 10 minutes. I swore when we landed I would never board a plain again and I haven't. I thought for sure we were going to end up in the Atlantic.

I don't like it, but I have gotten better because of my job. I don't like the whole experience and the not being in control bothers the OCD I developed going to sea on Submarines. (I joke about the OCD but it certainly did cause me to have some)
I usually have a couple of drinks and I am good to go.

Every time I fly I tell myself it'll be the last time. Then I find myself on a plane again sooner than I want be.

I understand that's it's safe and extremely efficient. I just can't shake the, "we're 5 miles in the air, I know the chance of going down is slim, but if we do, there's no escape" thoughts every time turbulence hits. Not just big turbulence, ANY turbulence instantly hits me with anxiety. Doesn't matter if I'm crossing an ocean or just bouncing a State over, I get immense anxiety the day of the flight.

About 10 or so years ago I went to a Dr and they prescribed me some meds to take the day of the flight. Was supposed to relax me. It didn't, I honestly feel like it made things worse. It heightened my senses while simultaneously making me drowsy. The second my eyes would close (I typically can't sleep on a plane, even transatlantic) I'd instantly jolt, and I mean jolt, straight up with the tiniest cabin shake. I was under 21 at the time and swore that because of that experience I would never drink on a plane out of fear that it would do the same thing.

Well last year I took a flight to San Diego, stone sober on the way out and I hated my life. On the way back our plane was delayed 3 times (and 6 hours) so we went to the bar, luckily San Diego has a Stone Brewing restaurant in the terminal so we had some good brews...really good brews, I think 4 in total by the time we decided to close out. Got on the plane, calm as a cucumber, once we were airborne and reached cruising I got another beer from the cart. Yes there were a few bumps that made me nervous, but for the most part, I was able to distract myself one way or another.

Ever since, that's what I do, a drink before boarding and a couple (depending on length) while cruising. Really helps me take the edge off and keep the anxiety at bay.

Take a scenic flight in a small aircraft.
Jets will seem as stable as a train after that.

Originally Posted by vw7674

My local commuter train definitely feels less stable than a plane lol.

Fear of flying? No.
Disgust at being shoveled into a plane like cattle in a livestock trailer? Yes.
It's been 4 or 5 years since I've flown commercially and if I never fly commercially again I won't regret it. Unless it's overseas, the only way I'll go is private charter.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
Fear of flying? No.
Disgust at being shoveled into a plane like cattle in a livestock trailer? Yes.
It's been 4 or 5 years since I've flown commercially and if I never fly commercially again I won't regret it. Unless it's overseas, the only way I'll go is private charter.

I dont know about private charters. Seems all the people that die are the ones on a private charter plane.

I guess I watch the evening news to much but seems like a lot of commercial airlines are having issues with their plains lately.

As for taking meds not sure that would work with me, the last MRI I had they gave me some pills to take and it didn't help with my Claustrophobia, it was all I could do to get thru it and hold still.

I don't fly either. But for a different reason. My dad wasn't around in my life when I was kid and it had a severe impact on me growing up. I now have two kids, and I WILL be in their life being the best [censored] dad in the country to them.

I haven't been on a plane since my son was born. Don't want to go down in flames, and have him grow up without a dad.

Technically, we all could go together and die together and at least he wont grow up without a dad. I guess that is the only time I could go on a plane.

Ive been on hundreds of airplane flights all over the place, and dont really care for it, and not scared of flying. Im just scared of leaving my son without a dad. Justified or not, that's my feelings on the matter and my reality.

There is family wedding coming up that I was asked to be in and I refuse to go.

Originally Posted by vw7674

Two years ago I took an ItaliaRail train in Italy.
When we hit speeds of 340-360kph and there was a slight "shunt" in the train car, things certainly didn't feel "safe".
Especially when you took a moment to gaze out the window and realize nothing within 500 meters of the train was recognizable.
eek.gif

Originally Posted by bubbatime

I haven't been on a plane since my son was born. Don't want to go down in flames, and have him grow up without a dad.

Exactly the reason I sold the street bike when my son was born.

I hate flying. Fear it? I fear idiots. Not the actual flying. Haven't flown in over 17 years and probably never will again. One of my worst flying experiences was flying into Seattle and coming in for a landing we hit wind shear. The stewardesses were screaming it was so bad. We got air under the wings right has we touched down. It was a bit scary.

Commercial flying, on a main carrier from one of the developed countries is the safest way to travel, period. So, if you are taking other forms of transportation instead of flying on the airlines, you are increasing your risk for the trip. That said, after 2001, everything involved in getting to your seat has become a miserable death march.....the flying is still fun.

On an emotional level, I can understanding some trepidation of having luggage and a few mm's of aluminum between your backside and 40,000 ft of air at 500+mph...

General aviation is a different story, one very thorough analysis I read put the risk at roughly par with riding a motorcycle, but there is a lot to that. I have not seen any specific studies, but day, VFR recreational flying in a factory built, well maintained airplane by a conservative, reasonably experienced pilot is much safer than the overall numbers suggest.

I do believe that a short fight in a GA aircraft can help with the fear as you really get to experience what is happening with the aircraft. I've taken more than a few nervous folks for their first flight...most enjoyed it.

I did stop riding the MC when we had children.

I focus more on the logistics of getting to the airport, waiting times, layovers, getting free upgrades to first class, what I'm doing once I get to the destination, rental car, hotel, any hotties walking in the airport, is it too soon for a beer at the airport, free upgrade to first class, etc. Focusing on all the other details of the trip makes me forget about the plane ride for the most part.

Be careful of any medication or alcohol or both. If you get too influenced they might not let you board.
Once in your seat fasten your seat belt and keep it fastened unless you have to get up. I've watched other passengers float from turbulence.

I am afraid of heights and my tinnitus condition is exacerbated while flying, so ears ring even louder. In addition, I don't do well with the pressure changes and it takes a day or so for my ears to unpop resulting in a big headache. I have tried all the tricks, gum, plugging nose and blowing etc...only seems to unpop on their own.

Needless to say, flying for me is a nightmare on many levels.
sick.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
Be careful of any medication or alcohol or both. If you get too influenced they might not let you board.
Once in your seat fasten your seat belt and keep it fastened unless you have to get up. I've watched other passengers float from turbulence.

Not if you're flying business or first class internationally. I used to fly to the Asia Pacific region once a month and always flew 1st or bizz class. Many a times I got tipsy in the lounge before boarding, never once denied. (yes, they technically can).

I guess when you're paying (well, not me but my clients paid) $4~6k a ticket you can pretty much do what you want. (I've been in long haul bizz class where there's practically been a "party" happening ...‚)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back