Brother looking at a Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.
He knows I spend a lot of time on this forum, and how knowledgable many members are so he requested I ask about a vehicle he is considering. He is looking at a 2006 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0 V6 automatic transmission. It has 80K miles. Anything to look out for?

Some of the Ford 4.0 SOHC engines had timing chain issues but I believe that was mostly in 2001-2002 or so. I think they are overall pretty solid trucks. I've owned a 1990 with the 4.0 OHV engine and also a 1999 and 2000 both with the 3.0. I have not owned the 4.0 SOHC.

Front springs might need replacing, they tend to sag. And yes, check all fluids (including diffs and transfer and PS) and replace them if uncertain of when/if they were changed. Overall these are usually solid trucks.

Most things that I have read about the Ranger's is that they're(if maintained) as bullet proof as a Tacoma. I have no reason to believe otherwise.

Originally Posted by fisher83
Some of the Ford 4.0 SOHC engines had timing chain issues but I believe that was mostly in 2001-2002 or so. I think they are overall pretty solid trucks. I've owned a 1990 with the 4.0 OHV engine and also a 1999 and 2000 both with the 3.0. I have not owned the 4.0 SOHC.

Yup, issue was mainly 2001-2002, but even then my buddy had a 2001 Ranger Edge with the 4.0 SOHC and drove it to 200k miles with no issues, oil changed every 5000 miles with PYB 5w30. I second the suggestion about the transmission fluid, but we changed my friend's only once at 100k and it shifted a bit rough at times but never an issue otherwise. The 4.0L Rangers are very reliable trucks.

This is a long post, but the OP asked what to look out for, and I've seen a bunch of these trucks.

The earlier 4.0L SOHC engines had timing chain tensioner issues, along with a couple other Ford engines of the same vintage. This issue had been resolved by 2006. Timing chain replacement on this engine is still a royal pain, but if the truck is believed to have 80k miles it should not be an issue for a long, long time. Change the oil at regular intervals using a 5W or 10W-30 of your choice and they live a long life.

These engines have a plastic thermostat housing, which WILL leak, and will eventually fail if not addressed. They are not at all difficult nor expensive to replace, if you are on this forum you probably have the skill to replace it in your driveway in under an hour. If it is not leaking after 16 years and 80k miles, it had probably been replaced at least once already. Give it a cursory glance whenever you do maintenance.

If it has an electric-shifting transfer case, you will want to cycle it a few times to verify it works consistently. The motors tend to stick up if they are not cycled regularly. It should shift immediately between 2 high and 4 high at any speed, when shifting into low range the truck must be completely stopped, in neutral with the brake pedal depressed.

The 5R55E automatic used in '98-'11 4.0L SOHC Rangers got a bad reputation from the earlier models, which had a tendency to blow out the valve body gasket, often causing major issues in reverse, first, and shifting up and down. There was a TSB out to address this issue, but many of them burned up before they got fixed. After the 2002 model year this was no longer an issue on new trucks, but you will want to make sure the fluid is changed regularly. I stick to 30k. This transmission is very picky on fluid, Mercon V is the only suitable choice. If the fluid looks clean and it feels strong in first and reverse, you are good. An auxiliary transmission cooler will help, if the truck does not already have one. Best $60 you will ever spend.

I would pull the plug and check the level and condition of fluid in the differentials. If the rear is supposed to be limited slip, see how it reacts around a tight corner. Check for slop in the bearings if you can.

Check the frame for rust, especially behind the rear spring mounts, even if the body does not have any rust. Once you see one with no metal left back there, you will understand.

Check the ball joints, too. At 80k miles and being a 4x4, they may well need replaced soon, depending on how it has been driven. I have seen some of these trucks on their third set by 70k and some at 250k on the originals.

At some point while DD'ing it you will probably see water leak inside the cab through the rear window, third brake light, and cowl vent. These are fairly simple to address, when you get into it. These issues and fixes are well documented on all the Ranger forums.

Originally Posted by getawheel
This is a long post, but the OP asked what to look out for, and I've seen a bunch of these trucks.

The earlier 4.0L SOHC engines had timing chain tensioner issues, along with a couple other Ford engines of the same vintage. This issue had been resolved by 2006. Timing chain replacement on this engine is still a royal pain, but if the truck is believed to have 80k miles it should not be an issue for a long, long time. Change the oil at regular intervals using a 5W or 10W-30 of your choice and they live a long life.

These engines have a plastic thermostat housing, which WILL leak, and will eventually fail if not addressed. They are not at all difficult nor expensive to replace, if you are on this forum you probably have the skill to replace it in your driveway in under an hour. If it is not leaking after 16 years and 80k miles, it had probably been replaced at least once already. Give it a cursory glance whenever you do maintenance.

If it has an electric-shifting transfer case, you will want to cycle it a few times to verify it works consistently. The motors tend to stick up if they are not cycled regularly. It should shift immediately between 2 high and 4 high at any speed, when shifting into low range the truck must be completely stopped, in neutral with the brake pedal depressed.

The 5R55E automatic used in '98-'11 4.0L SOHC Rangers got a bad reputation from the earlier models, which had a tendency to blow out the valve body gasket, often causing major issues in reverse, first, and shifting up and down. There was a TSB out to address this issue, but many of them burned up before they got fixed. After the 2002 model year this was no longer an issue on new trucks, but you will want to make sure the fluid is changed regularly. I stick to 30k. This transmission is very picky on fluid, Mercon V is the only suitable choice. If the fluid looks clean and it feels strong in first and reverse, you are good. An auxiliary transmission cooler will help, if the truck does not already have one. Best $60 you will ever spend.

I would pull the plug and check the level and condition of fluid in the differentials. If the rear is supposed to be limited slip, see how it reacts around a tight corner. Check for slop in the bearings if you can.

Check the frame for rust, especially behind the rear spring mounts, even if the body does not have any rust. Once you see one with no metal left back there, you will understand.

Check the ball joints, too. At 80k miles and being a 4x4, they may well need replaced soon, depending on how it has been driven. I have seen some of these trucks on their third set by 70k and some at 250k on the originals.

At some point while DD'ing it you will probably see water leak inside the cab through the rear window, third brake light, and cowl vent. These are fairly simple to address, when you get into it. These issues and fixes are well documented on all the Ranger forums.

I have owned a few Rangers and this post is right on the money. I will add that both the shift motor for 4x4 and a rebuilt valve body with upgrades are both under a few hundred dollars. I have done both.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Most things that I have read about the Ranger's is that they're(if maintained) as bullet proof as a Tacoma. I have no reason to believe otherwise.

Being a decorated Tacoma hater - and I've owned two of them - I will say:

When I drive behind a Toyota dealer all I see is a giant stack of new and then old rotted Tacoma frames.
That is not bullet proof.
Toyota get no pass here.
They are garbage trucks. I have a long list of inexcusable poor quality on my new ones

But that's just me.

Rant over.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by Char Baby

Being a decorated Tacoma hater - and I've owned two of them - I will say:

When I drive behind a Toyota dealer all I see is a giant stack of new and then old rotted Tacoma frames.
That is not bullet proof.
Toyota get no pass here.
They are garbage trucks. I have a long list of inexcusable poor quality on my new ones

But that's just me.

Rant over.

Yeah, I've always been surprised that they didn't bother hiding them. Maybe they thought it'd look better if they didn't--the whole world knows about the recall, so maybe if they leave out the frames (good and bad) it advertises that they stand behind their product? Dunno.

They don't have to worry about it coming back on them after all, Dana made the frames.

And they also did a good job of hiding the fact that they (Toyota) specified the frames without the proper rust protection.

Originally Posted by Blkstanger

I have owned a few Rangers and this post is right on the money.

X2, getawheel did a good job covering the common issues you need to be aware of.

At 80K, if it's rust free, that truck should have a ton of life left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back