DSL question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I switched internet providers and tried to get everything connected this morning before I left for work. It's a wireless dsl modem. Our computer is receiving the WiFi signal from the router,but the dsl light on the modem just keeps flashing,and the computer said "no internet connection". Do I need to test the wall phone jacks to make sure they're working? If so,how do I do this? We haven't had a landline phone in 10 years or so. Or is there something else I need to troubleshoot? I'm not at home so I don't want to call the internet provider at the moment. I thought maybe someone here might be able to shed some light on my issue first,thinking maybe I'm missing something really simple.

Thanks!!

Definitely sounds like something with the ISP or Internet Service Provider. Maybe the service is not on yet. If your computers can see the WiFi it probably says something like Connected, No Internet or maybe in reverse order in the Windows 10 corner display module. Your computer, sees the WiFi, which is coming from the wireless router, which I believe still comes from the modem which is what actually plugs in to the phone line.

---------------- ------------------ -- connects to phone line------
| computer | --->>>>| WiFi Router | ----->>>> | ISP modem | --->>>> ISP
---------------- connects---------------- -- output to input on Router--
wirelessly
to

Unrelated: Was going to comment how cable is usually faster, used to be a fan of DSL but that seems to have went the way of the dedicated T1 line.. no longer any point, at least for the residential user needing high speed Internet. DSL dedicated still seems to trail even cable which I cannot recall getting slow in recent years. Too fast.

Make sure you didn't install a filter between the DSL modem and the wall jack, which they typically include in the kit.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
...but the dsl light on the modem just keeps flashing,and the computer said "no internet connection".
This means the DSL line isn't provisioned or it's not getting a signal to the outside world. More below....

Do I need to test the wall phone jacks to make sure they're working? If so,how do I do this?
Yeah, you need to make the wall jack you used is active. Since you don't have a landline, I'm not sure how to test it to be honest. If you had a landline, you'd listen for a dial tone but that won't apply here.

At this point, you need to drag the modem (with extension cords ?) outside to the "demarc" point. It will look something like the attached (lame software.... no inline images ??). There are (2) 'doors' - you can open your side while the other side is probably secured. Inside your side is a phone jack. Plug your modem into it there and wait (3) minutes. See if the DSL light comes on. If it doesn't, either call your DSL provider or just wait a couple of days. Years ago DSL provisioning routinely took up to (7) days (folks at the phone company's 'hub' literally hand-connected the DSL signal to your phone line). If the DSL light comes on, you need to find a working phone jack inside your home.

phone.png

Didn't the tech who installed it test the lines?
There are a lot of things it could be-the service isn't activated, the line in the house has issues, the line to the house has issues, etc. Especially if they haven't been used in a decade. Back in the old days when we first had DSL there was a filter on the box outside the house that took a lightning strike-it took two techs to figure out what was wrong-with old copper lines there's no telling what the issue may be. Our lines were underground and at one point one of the two lines grounded out. Every time it was turned up to full speed the signal would become unstable, so they had to run us at a very reduced speed until a drop crew could put in a new line.

With our local fiber, when it was first connected it took us to a specific webpage that had to be filled out for the service to be activated. Once that was done it was business as usual, but a couple of the neighbors said that when they first hooked up they didn't get redirected-they were able to connect to the modem and no internet connection. They had to manually type in an address and activate the service.

You will most likely have to "register" your modem with the company before the WiFi will be acknowledged, there should be a web page you can get to via number URL "10.100.12.50" or something like that, if they supplied the modem it should have had this info with it or if they actually sent you any setup instructions...……...they can also walk you through it on the phone and using a chat service if they have one...……...we just went through it 3 months ago with ATT business DSL.

Last edited:
The flashing DSL light suggests that his DSL service isn't provisioned yet. The activation step still requires restricted/limited access, i.e. the DSL light needs to be solid, not flashing. Until activated, they won't let you beyond ATT's internal network, i.e. no real internet.

Ours flashed red for a day then sometime overnight started flashing green, we registered the modem that morning and boom!!! solid green light ….other than being slow it's worked fine.

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I'm brainstorming here at work on this issue. I did everything the installation book said to do this morning and was still getting the green flashing DSL light. Question,would it be possible to plug the router in at my next door neighbor's house to test her phone line? WiFi reaches her place from mine,because we always let her use our WiFi in the past.

Also,the register screen didn't pop up this morning,only that "your computer is not connected to the internet" message.

What will plugging the modem into the neighbor's house accomplish ?

I'm confident that all you can do is wait. Leave the modem plugged in too. On the paperwork or email you received, is there an "activation" date ?

You need a working phone jack that is provisioned for DSL. You can't just plug it in at your neighbors unless they have DSL.

Some ISP's support "dry loop". There won't be a dial tone on the phone line.

Wait.

You need to be sure the problem isn't related to the wiring inside your house. Do what hallstevenson said and plug modem directly into the test jack of the phone demarcation box (aka Network Interface Device or NID) on the outside. It is best to do this by taking the modem outside and power it up with an extension cord. A long phone cord could also potentially be used, but you have to be sure that cord is good, and some phone cords will degrade the DSL signal.

If you don't get a steady DSL light when plugged in directly, call the company for more troubleshooting. Note that it can take 2 or 3 minutes for DSL to link up and the light to come on steady.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention in my post above that no computer is necessary when connecting to the outside jack either. You only want to see if the DSL light changes state.

Originally Posted by talest

Unrelated: Was going to comment how cable is usually faster, used to be a fan of DSL but that seems to have went the way of the dedicated T1 line.. no longer any point, at least for the residential user needing high speed Internet. DSL dedicated still seems to trail even cable which I cannot recall getting slow in recent years. Too fast.

You must remember that not all of us live in fiber optic country. Some of us in fly over country don't have that option and DSL is the ONLY option. If I look out my front door I see cotton fields. If I look out my back door I see horse pastures. What I don't see is fiber optic cable. And we get our TV by satellite too.

Originally Posted by talest
Most people subscribe to DSL because they have no other choice.

Yup, I had DSL at my last house because it was the only choice. The neighbors 1500 feet down the road had 100 meg Xfinity, but according to those brain surgeons at Xfinity, it would be IMPOSSIBLE to run the line the 1500 feet to my house and get me hooked up with cable internet. Impossible. Can put a man on the moon in 1969, but cant even run a line 1500 feet in 2019, even though I was willing to pay for the work. Asinine.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
...even though I was willing to pay for the work. Asinine.
How much up-front would you be willing to pay ?

We wanted to switch to DSL because of it being $29 a month vs $90.

Well,after being on the phone with them for a little over an hour,they determined the DSL signal isn't reaching the modem,as there must be a problem with the phone jacks in the house. They charge $79 to even come out. Oh,and it's a two week wait for an appointment,plus they only work 8-5 meaning someone has to miss a whole day of work,sitting here staring at the walls waiting for them to show up.

I took the cover off the phone box outside,and it's a very old primitive setup. It's just 4 or 5 different colored wires screwed into the terminals (reminds me of the old speaker terminals where you wrap the bare wire around the screw,and tighten it down).

We reactivated the cable internet for now,and I might just mail them back their router and tell them to shove it. I'd think in 2019 you'd get more professional and through customer service.

I took the cover off the phone box outside,and it's a very old primitive setup. It's just 4 or 5 different colored wires screwed into the terminals (reminds me of the old speaker terminals where you wrap the bare wire around the screw,and tighten it down).

May be old and primitive but that's completely normal looking. There was NO phone jack ? Might want to look again. There might not be but I'd be surprised. What size was this box, like 4" x 4" or larger, maybe 8" x 10" with (2) doors ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back