Change in oil color from batch to batch. Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed my oil last Tuesday and have yet to drive my car. Out came the Magnatec 5W-30, in went Helix Ultra 5W-40, batch from end of 2016.
I poured in the whole 4L bottle, and I noted that the color was somewhat lighter than what I am used to seeing on this oil.
Since my car uses more than 4L, I then took a older batch from early 2015, which was sitting around for quite some time, with only 1L left in the 4L bottle, and proceed to pour in about 300ml to bring up the oil level to the full mark. I noticed that the old batch is noticably darker honey colored compared to the 2016 batch.
What could be the cause ? Exposure to air for few years? Different formulation according to year ?
Or perhaps fake oil from the 2016 batch? I am pretty sure the 2015 batch is the benchmark as I have used that before with no issues, hence the 1L leftover.

Motoroil group II/III are so pure it's clear. Dye and additives provide the color a slight change in the additive package will change the color.

I liken it to paint, paint color can vary slightly from batch to batch, even in the purest of whites, which is why all paints are supposed to be boxed for the final coat. I would imagine the same thing can happen with oil color, and why a VOA can vary slightly from batch, a little more or less of an additive may alter the color slightly. A reformulation can probably do the same thing. Obviously happens.

Oil consists of 3 things... the base stock, friction modifier and the additives (add pk). More than likely the slight color difference is due to a change in one or more of the additives. Watch the video below from Valvoline describing how an oil gets it's color.. important to note that color does not equal performance, one way or another.

Valvoline

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back