Lucas Red "N" Tacky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Astro-guy, Texas Refinery here. First grease i used that didn't separate and make a mess while staying where I put it. Ive heard good things about swepco and LE, but I personally was happy with finally finding one that worked as it should and I haven't tried anything else since

This tube has been in a hot shop for a year … my new boat trailer hubs came packed with RNT so I have been topping up the spindle port zerk with a stand alone grease gun of RNT

9A5E6462-C9AC-4437-BA9A-631F61E41AAE.jpeg

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
Originally Posted by Cgates
Theres a number of greases with a low percent oil separation spec.....and red n tacky isnt one of them!
Okay, so please enlighten us on the better ones...

Product data sheets are your friend if theres a particular quality youre after.

Mystic jt6, lucas marine, amsoil synthetic multipurpose, primrose 303, schaeffers 221, texas refinery 880 all show very low to zero oil separation.

Originally Posted by Jddan
Astro-guy, Texas Refinery here. First grease i used that didn't separate and make a mess while staying where I put it. Ive heard good things about swepco and LE, but I personally was happy with finally finding one that worked as it should and I haven't tried anything else since

Product data sheets are your friend if theres a particular quality you're after. Mystic jt6, lucas marine, amsoil synthetic multipurpose, primrose 303, schaeffers 221, texas refinery 880 all show very low to zero oil separation.
Thanks guys. Mystic JT6 seems to be one of the more available choices in my neck of the woods, but I notice that to be an entire product line and not a specific product. In NLGI #2 I see they offer both a Marine and Multi-Purpose variant. I am thinking that Marine might be a better choice for a lawn tractor, which definitely is a wet environment. Am I on the right track here?

When you look at data sheets, there are 2 different water washout tests....one done at 100 degrees, one done at 175. My opinion is if they list the 100 degree test, it means the 175 degree results were nothing to write home about.

Low washout at 175, and low oil separation along with most likely easily accessible and lower price....jt6 high temp in the red tube would be my choice.

When you look at data sheets, there are 2 different water washout tests....one done at 100 degrees, one done at 175. My opinion is if they list the 100 degree test, it means the 175 degree results were nothing to write home about.

Low washout at 175, and low oil separation along with most likely easily accessible and lower price....jt6 high temp in the red tube would be my choice.
Yes, that does appear to be superior to to Lucas Red 'N' Tacky in every aspect that I care about. Mystic JT6 is available at my local tractor supply. Texas Refinery 880 looks great too, but you can't buy it anywhere but online in my neck of the woods. A 14 ounce tube is a two-year supply for me, so the shipping costs make it a bust.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
So after cleaning up Mobil 1 synthetic grease oozing from my gun again I decided to buy this. Lot of people online seem to like it. Will it be compatible with Mobil 1 grease that's already in the joints?

I went through the same deal on my O/U Trap guns. Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease is as good as any. But when I shot doubles with a fast squad on a hot day, the receiver would get warm enough for the stuff to start oozing out of the hinge pins and trunnions.

I went with the "Red-N-Tacky" because it was...... tacky. It stays put better, and doesn't ooze in hot guns in hot weather. It's good on AR and AK bolt lugs, and auto pistol slide rails as well.

It's been a hot summer and I keep the grease gun on top of my oil drain pan just in case. Last weekend I pulled the drain pan out for an OPE oil change, and noted an elliptical 3 x 4 inch red oil spill approaching 1/8 inch deep. Methinks I will try another one of the greases recommended here on the next go around. There's a Tractor Supply in town that sells Mystic JT6.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
It's been a hot summer and I keep the grease gun on top of my oil drain pan just in case. Last weekend I pulled the drain pan out for an OPE oil change, and noted an elliptical 3 x 4 inch red oil spill approaching 1/8 inch deep. Methinks I will try another one of the greases recommended here on the next go around. There's a Tractor Supply in town that sells Mystic JT6.

It's a funny world with grease - I have found the JT-6 green to hold up better in hot storage and very waterproof - yet I thought my bearings could of lasted longer.
(hubs were always cool to the touch). I'm just going to stick with the RnT in these new bearings - they came packed with it and now they are using marine grease instead.
After a 120 mile highway tow - and setting for a month - there will be 3 or 4 drops of free oil come out under the spindle cap.
I just re-grease via the Tie Down Engineering port and do it again.

I put the lawn tractor away between the holidays and greased it up with Lucas Red "N" Tacky. I keep the grease gun at the coldest corner of the garage, and it was about 45 degrees at the time I used it. Wouldn't you know that a big glob of red oil came seeping out of the grease gun while lying on the driveway. Methinks we will be trying one of the other greases recommended above the next time the gun needs filling. That tends to be a long time using a 14 ounce tube with only one machine that calls for grease.

Yeah … I use Mystik JT6 green for general purpose. After leaving it in direct sun on a summer day in Texas … and that tube had been in an aluminum box in the sun for months … it just does not separate

Extremely water resistant

What's the deal with Mobil 1 grease? You never really hear anything but positive comments about most Mobil 1 products. With the grease, it's the opposite. Do they actually make it or do they subcontract it out?

Yes … My Tie Down Engineering trailer bearings/hubs came pre packed with RnT … so I keep using it for that loaded in separate grease gun …
My other grease gun has Mystik JT6 green … (fairly colorless) …

Last edited:
Any compatibility issues changing grease? I don't know what grease was used before I started using Mobil 1. Now I'm going to start using RNT. Will they blend ok?

Interesting. I purchased Tie Down Engineering (Vortex) hubs in the spring of 2019. They came packed with Lucas Marine Grease. The use of any other grease voids the warranty.

Yes, what the dealer has now is packed with marine version … but I'll just continue with red

My 30 year old grease gun has a fresh tube of Lucas RNT, which clearly separates and runs. Meanwhile I read up on my Ariens Deluxe snowblower, and it actually calls for high temperature grease. I figured that the remaining RNT would make a fine chassis lube, so I went to Harbor Freight and invested $20 ($24.99 minus a 20% coupon) in a new gun. Mystic JT6 High Temperature was available at my local Tractor Supply and Ace Hardware last year, but no longer unless you want to special order a case of ten 14 oz. tubes. Grainger Supply still sells single tubes, so I ordered a couple to average down the cost. Going forward for the next few years it will be JT6 High temperature on anything rotating and the remaining RNT on anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back