Do you think Amazon will eventually just give up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazon has had their "Amazon Basics" line of oil out for a long time now and im not here to debate if its selling well or not.... But I've noticed they have slightly been lowering their price for the last few months.

Due to the crowded marketplace, similar offerings (Probably the same) from Walmart's supertech line, ineffective marketing.... Do you think that Amazon will just give up on the oil?

If they do, I'm hoping for some dynamite pricing or at least the same pricing as Supertech.

Not here to debate sales
Been lowering prices
Crowded market
Ineffective marketing

Will Amazon give up ?

Hope we got the rules of engagement correct …
Anyway, will not get a dime from me if it cost a dime… how's that ?

I have no idea what you're asking. Shouldn't your statement (or whatever it is) be in the Product Rebates, Sales and Promotions section or in General and Off Topic? What does this have to do with the technical aspects of PCMO?

What are the sales numbers? If you don't know that there isn't much use in discussing anything else.

Originally Posted by hatt
What are the sales numbers? If you don't know that there isn't much use in discussing anything else.

Originally Posted by ad244
Amazon has had their "Amazon Basics" line of oil out for a long time now and im not here to debate if its selling well or not

I think it could go either way, and I'm pretty sure it will … 🤪

Walmart is currently handing Amazon their shirt on oil sales as well as other areas.

Sellers on the A are going to have to prove their products are genuine. Counterfeiting is a big issue right now.

It's pretty tough to discuss whether they will stay in the market without being willing to discuss sales.
Some other questions to answer....
Is marketing motor oil part of a larger segmentation strategy?
Is motor oil able to be marketed as a loss leader?
Can Amazon differentiate their product enough to justify a cost differential?
Who is their target consumer?
Does this product work as part of the subscribe and save program and/or Prime subscriptions?

Once again, these are difficult questions to answer without a thorough understanding of their business model and market strategy. Even more so with the OP taking sales numbers off the table for discussion.

It almost seems bad if OP has decided the product is not successful and is looking for confirmation.
Then again, maybe not...

Originally Posted by 4WD

Yeah, but Amazon didn't ask for a dime.

You can't go by opinions on an oil site because a way above average number here are DIY'ers …
Perhaps quite a few that shop heavy on Amazon don't change oil themselves …
Walmart has a big blue collar following … and I see Benjamin's still used to pay …

No.

Jeff Bezos has a goal to dominate every business sector that sells products. Amazon just got into the janitorial supply business. They wanna knock out all the suppliers that deliver toilet paper and janitorial products to offices, factories...
Don't be surprised when Amazon becomes the largest produce wholesaler delivering to restaurants.
And don't be surprised when they get more serious into auto parts and not only deliver auto parts to auto repair shops in short order like Napa, AutoZone..., but DIY'ers in a few hours depending where you live.

It will seem like utopia and come back to bite us.

According to Amazon....

5 quart
0W-20 - # 10 top seller
5W-30 HM - # 4
5W-30 - # 16

Originally Posted by 4WD
Not here to debate sales
Been lowering prices
Crowded market
Ineffective marketing

Will Amazon give up ?

...‚...‚...‚.. that was my thought

My guess is it doesn't "cost" Amazon much to private label oil..they mostly use a "just in time" approach to inventory management, so I don't see this being a problem Amazon loses much sleep about.

Last edited:
Many items are priced at the same exact price as Walmart. So they are competitive. And for the folks out west that are a hundred miles or more from a Walmart? Amazon delivers it right to their door and saves them a trip to town. If Amazon can make a profit on it, they are going to sell it. You can count on that. Dont expect oil sales to disappear anytime soon.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
No.

Jeff Bezos has a goal to dominate every business sector that sells products. Amazon just got into the janitorial supply business. They wanna knock out all the suppliers that deliver toilet paper and janitorial products to offices, factories...
Don't be surprised when Amazon becomes the largest produce wholesaler delivering to restaurants.
And don't be surprised when they get more serious into auto parts and not only deliver auto parts to auto repair shops in short order like Napa, AutoZone..., but DIY'ers in a few hours depending where you live.

It will seem like utopia and come back to bite us.

it already is utopia. I order and in one day, my part magically arrives. And it will only get better....not like competitors are just rolling over.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
If Amazon can make a profit on it, they are going to sell it. You can count on that. Dont expect oil sales to disappear anytime soon.

This 👆

Originally Posted by 4WD
I think it could go either way, and I'm pretty sure it will … 🤪

Is there any other way for it to go?
confused2.gif

Amazon has real deep pockets and a really broad reach.
They'll only give up when they decide they want to.
As compared to Amazon, Walmart is the corner store in terms of market reach and marketing sophistication.
Having said that, between the two if I really have to pay retail right now for a jug of oil, I'd pick Walmart.
No porch pirates or delivery driver bandits to worry about and I know that I get exactly what I intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back