Name that oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has no Group 1,2 or 3. High in zinc and moly. At least 32% polyol esters? Contains no viscisity improvers.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Has no Group 1,2 or 3. High in zinc and moly. At least 32% polyol esters? Contains no viscisity improvers.

I was going to guess until I got to the viscisity improvers. Now I have no idea.

http://www.mptindustries.com/msds/MSDSThirty-KDieselMotorOil.pdf

TYPICAL PROPERTIES: MPT Thirty-K 15W40 Diesel Full Synthetic Motor Oil
Zinc - 1310 ppm
Molybdenum - 1028 ppm
Phosphorous - 1325 ppm
Calcium - 1440 ppm
ASTM D874 - Sulfated Ash, .97
ASTM D445 - V @ 40C, 92..5 cSt
ASTM D445 - V @100C, 13.5 cSt
ASTM D2270 - VI, 149
ASTM D92 - Flash Point, 230ºC
ASTM D97 - Pour Point, -40ºF
ASTM D2896 - TBN, 11.82

And completely lacking in any approvals, certifications or licenses. It's not even API.

No thanks, I'd rather not risk my expensive truck to some faceless company and product such as that. These companies prey on ignorance.

Detergents/dispersants are very low on that oil. It's like they sacrificed everything for the AW/AF additives. Their even lower than a low ash 507 type oil. I doubt that stuff would be good for 5k, let alone 30k miles.

No thanks.

Originally Posted by CleverUserName
Detergents/dispersants are very low on that oil. It's like they sacrificed everything for the AW/AF additives. Their even lower than a low ash 507 type oil. I doubt that stuff would be good for 5k, let alone 30k miles.

No thanks.

What they do is market something that they think will wow and boggle a certain consumer segment based on what they say is the base stock composition, but without regard to any demonstrated performance.

They aren't the only ones.

Actually with the amount of trade secret ingredients it may contain anything.

I don't have a vehicle presently that would be a good candidate as a test mule for this oil. Otherwise I may have given it a try. Maybe in the future.

I saw a UOA on here once where somebody ran the thirty k stuff for an extended OCI. I think it performed poorly, ie depleted TBN and high wear metals. If I was in front of a desktop I'd try searching for it but on mobile so somebody else maybe wants to look for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back