OCD About OCI's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know of anyone who is OCD about oil/oil changes.

My dad knew a man in the 50's w/a brand new Caddy and had the oil changed every week. He put about 200 miles on it weekly. The car outlasted its owner in the 70's and finally rusted out in the late 80's, engine was still pristine....I heard.

Last edited:
About 20 years ago there was a guy a work who was having a real meltdown over his oil change, his car was something like 2997 on the oil and it was 4 miles to Jiffy Lube. As I remember, he called for a tow truck. That really isn't very funny, his OCD was a real disability. He didn't last many more years at work because he could not work efficiently due to that condition.

I have x20 phobia but am very slowly working on it!
grin2.gif

I don't personally know anyone who is truly OCD about their oil changes, but I know lots of people who worry too much about little stuff... little stuff that the person really cares about. I think it's just part of being human.

I've heard stories about drivers in the early days stopping on the road at some specified mileage and getting out and oiling and greasing all the relevant fittings. Possibly OCD or perhaps they thought it mattered.

Years ago I worked with a guy who was OCD about oil changes...every 2k like clockwork.

Bought sale Valvoline or Esso Extra (Canada) oil, and changed it in his apartment parking lot in about 20 minutes, he did it so often.

He said you wanted oil draining out looking like it went in, that meant there was no dirt in it.

I change mine either by mileage 4k conventional or by age 6 months. My thinking is that oil that's in use on a daily basis needs changed more often than not.

in my ocd days i changed every1250k miles but i realized its plain stupid and might even be bad for the engine so now im half sain and holding my self bravely until 4k but thats that there is so much a man can take-)
i know some of u will get it here,driving on fresh top oil is beyond physical its like a spiritual feeling of purity,one day i had an ultimate experience, i waxed my cts,put new very nice Michelins,cleaned the inside of car really good and put plugs and a fresh redline oil,let me tell you,its was divine.i felt like im driving on clouds.i think its ocd very big one and perhaps very childish but better from drugs or gambling or what ever people get a kick of.

Originally Posted by dadto2
About 20 years ago there was a guy a work who was having a real meltdown over his oil change, his car was something like 2997 on the oil and it was 4 miles to Jiffy Lube. As I remember, he called for a tow truck.

BITOG Lifetime Achievement Award winner right here.

What happens when an OCD individual uses a quick lube place, say every 2k miles or so. Later on in life he finds out that the shop skipped an oil change or two. Is this catastrophic or what?

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
What happens when an OCD individual uses a quick lube place, say every 2k miles or so. Later on in life he finds out that the shop skipped an oil change or two. Is this catastrophic or what?

some dealerships and private shops are doing much worse by braking parts deliberately or putting used parts or charging for parts they never installed,i think they deserves the chair.

Originally Posted by dadto2
About 20 years ago there was a guy a work who was having a real meltdown over his oil change, his car was something like 2997 on the oil and it was 4 miles to Jiffy Lube. As I remember, he called for a tow truck. That really isn't very funny, his OCD was a real disability. He didn't last many more years at work because he could not work efficiently due to that condition.

He is probably a member on here now. These people exist.

I don't go to these levels of OCD, but I do monitor the mileage closely enough to schedule which car gets driven on what day if another car's OCI is up, or make sure to do the oil change the day before a trip if the trip will put me over the mileage. The oil usually gets changed with less than 3 miles either side of my target OCI mileage.

I prefer 5k OCI's but once or twice I slipped and realized I was at 7k. I then let it go to 10k. That's because on my vehicles I short changed oil changes so that it would be easy to tell when it needs to be done, by just looking at the odo--just look at the thousand mile digit, if it's a 0 or a 5 then it's due.

Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
Do you know of anyone who is OCD about oil/oil changes.

I prefer to not only use the same brand and viscosity, but the same batch number, over several oil changes.
wink.gif

I'm ocd...but in the other direction. I won't let anyone else touch my car and I like to extend the oci. I go 10 but am looking for 20. With a tbn of 5 after 10k and no make up oil I may have found the lube to do it

The guy who towed his car for a oc at 2997 is one of funniest story's I have ever heard....I have OCD and think about dumb things too over and over. Gritting my teeth holding off changing oil on my 05 cavalier blank box even though I am still under 3k. Reg Pennzoil is in there now and I am not sure motor will survive haha...putting QS syn in this time at 108k miles. Engine and transmission run great and body is in decent condition for nh. Pzl 10 30 was only 9 bucks at wm....buyin a overmaintained car from bitog nutjobs is a great idea

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
I think the most OCD topic here on BITOG is 5W20 VS 5W30.
27.gif

I was going to suggest Universal ATF vs XYZ and Oil Cert vs Brand X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back