Toyota Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at a 2016 or 2017 Toyota Tacoma with less than 40000 miles. Looking for trim that has best ride. Probley crew cab. 5.5 bed with V6. Which trim has best ride. How comfortable are the seats? I drive 30000 miles a year looking for comfort. Any known issues?

thanks

I suggest test driving one first. The Tacoma does a lot of things well, but best ride & comfort are not descriptions I would associate with them.

The full size Tundras ride much better at the cost of being much larger and a little thirstier for fuel.

It doesn't sound like you've sat in one yet. If you like a car-like seating position with the seat close to the floor you'll like the Tacoma. If you're looking for a truck position with your legs down it might not work for you. Owners in other threads have said comfort isn't one of the Taco's strongest points. With your miles you'd better be sure.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
I'd look at a '14 or '15 Tacoma which were the last two years of that gen. The 2016 was the first year of the new gen and they had some issues. See link below.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/Tacoma/

Honestly you're going to be paying the same for a '14 or '15 as almost a brand new 2019. A quick search I was seeing 28-30K as an average price (this was for 4wd though)...

Like AZJeff said, seating is a little odd in both 2nd and 3rd gens. Definitely try it out. The upper models with the Bilsteins will provide the better ride.

There's debates on the 4.0/5at vs the 3.5/6at, it's more preference thing. Both aren't powerhouses but will get the job done. Fuel mileage will be laughable (IMO) and driving 30K a year would get expensive, unless you really need a truck.

Thanks! This is an eye opener. I have a 2013 Highlander now. Any know issues with the newer Highlanders? I like to stick to the 6 speed trans.

The V6 Highlander now comes with the 8 speed auto. So be sure you're ok with how it shifts before buying. The 4 cyl version which is harder to find but still has the 6 speed. If going the 4 cyl route I'd opt for FWD.

Originally Posted by millerbl00
Thanks! This is an eye opener. I have a 2013 Highlander now. Any know issues with the newer Highlanders? I like to stick to the 6 speed trans.

From what I recall member StevieC hated the transmission so much he traded it pretty quick. Liked the vehicle, but hated the transmission. Tried to find the thread, but couldn't.

EDIT: Pretty sure his was the new 8 speed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dave1251
The ride is far from refined and you will want a comfortable ride.

This^^

My Tundra rides ok but it has 70 series rubber to soak up the smaller bumps--and bigger ones still jostle me around. NVH is otherwise good. Larger vehicles tend to have better isolation, and if you are doing only highway driving the mpg penalty these days isn't as bad. [Except on a Tundra--it's thirsty no matter what.]

I do over 30k/year also and have two vehicles as a result. The gas savings from not driving my truck more than 5k/year pays for my car. Not saying that floating two vehicle payments is cheaper, no idea what taxes are like in your area, but if you only need a truck occasionally, perhaps two vehicles might be better than one.

I wonder if a Pentastar 1500 would be the best balance between mpg, price, comfort, if you could find one used for a decent price (I haven't looked in a while).

I did about 20 k miles in the first year with the 2018 Tacoma. Seats are not as nice as the 4 runner, but it's a great vehicle.
But it is a truck. A 4wd truck with the advantages and disadvantages that I am willing to live with for the capability and utility,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back