a3/b4

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello folks,
what are the other advantages of using a a3/b4 oil besides high hths,there are non a3 oils with the same hths like the m1 esp in 5w30.
please enlightened me.
thank you.

and wich is best for very short trips,even tho on weekends i do highway.
its for regular use no high revs or towing but in the summer its very hot a humid here.
currently using the castrol stop start 5w30 a5 and changing twice a year/every 4k mlies.thinking of the edge a3 or m1 esp.can get them all in the same price.
is the a5 strong enough in very hot weather?
tnx a lot.

Last edited:
sounds right?
"
ACEA Engine Oil Specifications - oilspecifications.org
Unlike API the ACEA specs are split into performance/application catagories as follows:

A1 Fuel economy petrol
A2 Standard performance level (now obsolete)
A3 High performance and/or extended drain
A4 Reserved for future use in certain direct injection engines
A5 Combines A1 fuel economy with A3 performance

B1 Fuel economy diesel
B2 Standard performance level (now obsolete)
B3 High performance and/or extended drain
B4 For direct injection car diesel engines
B5 Combines B1 fuel economy with B3/B4 performance

Originally Posted by avi1777
hello folks,
what are the other advantages of using a a3/b4 oil besides high hths,there are non a3 oils with the same hths like the m1 esp in 5w30.
please enlightened me.
thank you.

A3/B4 is suitable for use where gasoline has sulphur levels in excess of (IIRC) 50 ppm. That's really it's only advantage and sometimes A3/B4 is a little cheaper. The thing to remember is that C3 (M1 ESP 5w30) is essentially a low-saps version of A3/B4.

Last edited:
Among other things, it's designed for longer drain intervals, so it keeps the engine clean longer.

Volvo, in particular, recommends an A3/B4 for sludge removal in neglected engines.

Most of the oils that meet MB 229.5 (for the MB in my sig) also meet A3/B4.

It's a good choice for longer drain intervals, or engines that are hard on oils, or create sludge.

I wouldn't bother using it in my Tundra, for example, but I absolutely use it for the longer drain intervals in my three turbocharged Volvos and my turbocharged Mercedes.

Last edited:
basically im looking for a tough oil that can stand hours is traffic in the hot weather but also be good for very short trips,im planing on 4k intervals and twice a year.
if the magnatec has 2.9 and is strong enough ill stay with that beacuse i like it,no consumption and quiet ride.but if a a3/b4 will give me even more quiet ride ill buy that.
i love a smooth and quiet operating engine.
what do u think?an a3 will give a quieter ride than the a5 oil?both 5w30.the edge,magnatec and esp are very close in price here.
what would you buy?
tnx a lot.

Last edited:
Try it, if you don't like it, go back next change. I've tried ACEA A3 and HD 10W30 for a more quiet running engine with 5W30 on the 710 cap, but I have found it to be too viscous for use in engines specifying ILSAC GF lubricants.

Just try then you will know. it wont hurt anything.

Last edited:
mazda sais 20w in the usa and 30w in other countrys.
the dealerships uses 30w here,wont the a3 30w will be to thick?(the manual says ilsac gf 2to 5)
i know its on the thick side of the 30w.
now using a5 5w30 but can get the edge a3 0w30.

Last edited:
and wich is best for very short trips,even tho on weekends i do highway.
its for regular use no high revs or towing but in the summer its very hot a humid here.
currently using the castrol stop start 5w30 a5 and changing twice a year/every 4k mlies.thinking of the edge a3 or m1 esp.can get them all in the same price.
is the a5 strong enough in very hot weather?
tnx a lot.

A3/B4 is not ideal for short tripping as your efficiency will suffer. Don't worry about the heat/humidity because your cooling system handles the majority of that and it's not like you're running the vehicle at high speeds/heavy loads.

mazda sais 20w in the usa and 30w in other countrys.
the dealerships uses 30w here,wont the a3 30w will be to thick?(the manual says ilsac gf 2to 5)
i know its on the thick side of the 30w.
now using a5 5w30 but can get the edge a3 0w30.

Yes, and we have as hot if not hotter weather than what you have in Israel. I think you'll be fine with the A5 5w30 if that's what Mazda spec's in your country.

Last edited:
in some parts its 48c here somtimes but where i live its 40 tops and the car dosnt drive much,the manual only says gf2 to5 or early s to sl not close to a5 standard,so im guessing im safe with the a5 right?
tnx

hello folks,
please enlightened me.
thank you.

You will not find serious oil manufcaturer with only ACEA A3/B4. They are always tied to manufacturer specifications such as MB 229.5, BMW LL01, Porsche A40 (if W40 oil) etc.
Main advantage of oils with A3/B4 and those manufacturer specifications:
1. High HTHS (if necessary).
2. Better NOACK limits
3. Better oxidation limits.
4. Better deposit limits.
If you go with A3/B4, always look for oil that has MB 229.5 Approval.

Originally Posted by edyvw
hello folks,
please enlightened me.
thank you.

You will not find serious oil manufcaturer with only ACEA A3/B4. They are always tied to manufacturer specifications such as MB 229.5, BMW LL01, Porsche A40 (if W40 oil) etc.
Main advantage of oils with A3/B4 and those manufacturer specifications:
1. High HTHS (if necessary).
2. Better NOACK limits
3. Better oxidation limits.
4. Better deposit limits.
If you go with A3/B4, always look for oil that has MB 229.5 Approval.

yep the Castrol edge 0w30 a3 has this mb spec

I'm a big fan of A3/B4 - My wifes QG18 only holds 2.7 litres and does a lot of KM, my daughter's Sirion only gets an oil change when I discover it's at least 10 or 15,000km over, and my car does a lot of short trips, I need that TBN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back