Possibly counterfeit a01 filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
After using my last a01 filter in my latest oil change I realized it's very difficult to get, everywhere is selling the Fram a02 filter which I will not use. I found a new seller on amazon selling a01 filter at reasonable price, after getting the filter I think they are very likely counterfeit, I've never seen the packaging before, it says made in Japan on the box, the shrink wrap is only on the business end, no PLM print on the other end. What do you think?

4E0A1E65-77E2-4B0D-91B2-A9D330EC397F.jpeg

4F277A9C-48D4-4218-A93B-51155C5B41D1.jpeg

796E2FCD-2F2F-4E5B-BF28-91C1CA969878.jpeg

42432ACD-B461-4FA7-8D9A-F0E5F151F002.jpeg

Last edited:
I spy the DANA trademark in the filter interior.
The DANA corp is buying & selling to Getrag & MAHLE since 2006 apparently.
They are in China & Thailand as well as who knows where else.

Look likes the fake someone here bought and cut open. It was so bad it could have damaged the motor.

Hmmm, now I and starting to wonder...same diamond with two dot symbol on the business end, full plastic wrap with "PLM" stamped on the end cap, full plastic wrap, label looks a different than yours, and says Filtech assembled in USA.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I wasn't aware that Honda sells those filters in boxes. But that might just be me.

IMO the "I will not use Fram" perspective is laughable.

The prevalence of counterfeit stuff on Amazon is not.

The OP's filter shrink wrap and that of the other example look different. Cellophane is usually stiffer and crinkly. The OP's look like Saran Wrap.

The counterfeit problems on Amazon are getting serious. I recently had a conversation with someone who works in corporate in Seattle on that very subject. It is a big problem.

I would return the filter if possible unless you are willing to cut this one open for us here on BITOG.

To me its worth a few bucks more to buy locally things like filters. I bought some lazer iridum spark plugs on amazon. I'm now wondering if those were counterfeit. I will not buy anymore spark plugs or filters online.

I spent a long time looking for A01 filters. The best I could do were Honda After Market Parts (HAMP) filters made by Filtech. Used those for a while.

For several years now I've been using Wix filters bought for a reasonable price at a well known retailer while on a road trip in the USA. A genuine Wix is a good filter, better than any look-alike.

Box says "MADE IN JAPAN" but contents labeled "assembled in USA". Barcode on the counterfeit label appears to be nonsense. Barcode on the fully wrapped filter decodes to the part number.

Last edited:
I dont understand the depth of effort that must be involved in counterfeiting a $6 filter. The painting/printing/labels and all the trouble involved seems like alot. Unless someone overseas has robbed a truckload of filters and repackaging it makes no sense.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I would return the filter if possible unless you are willing to cut this one open for us here on BITOG.

It would be interesting to see one of these cut open. That would give more clues.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
  • That is not a dana trademark
  • Thats not a genuine A01.

Take a look at : 'Canadian AC Delco filters' 7/08/02 #309437 at bitog.
If that isn't the DANA logo feel free to post the real owner herabouts.

Originally Posted by nthach
Honda usually doesn't sell filters in boxes either, except for a few rare exceptions.

This to me is the biggest clue. I've never seen an A01 in a box, ever.

I love how the ones on Amazon right now ship from China and are described as "used".

Originally Posted by vw7674
Originally Posted by DuckRyder
  • That is not a dana trademark
  • Thats not a genuine A01.

Take a look at : 'Canadian AC Delco filters' 7/08/02 #309437 at bitog.
If that isn't the DANA logo feel free to post the real owner herabouts.

It is on the base plate of Filtechs and is one of the things counterfeiters try to fake. The number and location of the dots varies... even a cursory google image search of the Honda part number should tell you this. In this case it is just a diamond and though it may look a little like a dana logo a diamond does not a dana logo make...

Just got my real a01 this afternoon, when I knock the counterfeit it feels hallow, I can clearly hear the spring bouncing inside, I doubt if there is filter material inside. Anyway, those 30 a01s should last me quite a while
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by liybzd
Just got my real a01 this afternoon, when I knock the counterfeit it feels hallow, I can clearly hear the spring bouncing inside, I doubt if there is filter material inside. Anyway, those 30 a01s should last me quite a while.

Boy this seems like a waste.
How many vehicles in your fleet take these filters???
Haven't the cut opens of these shown run of the mill construction?

Oh well, it's your money...

Originally Posted by Imp4

What? Cut opens of an A01 have shown "run of the mill construction"?

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Imp4

What? Cut opens of an A01 have shown "run of the mill construction"?

What about their construction would compel a reasonable person to go buy 30?

Said another way, what about any oil filter would compel anyone to go buy 30?

Here's one that seems to be OK, but nothing special.

Again nice, but is it a dazzler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back