Mom's new ride...

Status
Not open for further replies.
As some of you may know, I have been helping my parents search for a new vehicle. Mom will be the primary driver. Over the past weekend we were looking at a 2014 Mazda CX-5, but never got a chance to test drive it. Before that we had test driven a 2015 RAV4 and a 2017 Equinox. Mom liked the interior of the RAV4, but didn't care for the choppy ride. It was also priced way to high. The Equinox was a good choice, but the price was also more than they wanted to spend.

Yesterday, we test drove a 2017 GMC Terrain. It drove to her liking, had the features she wanted and the price was right so Mom took it home for an overnight test drive. She ended up deciding she wants to get it. So tomorrow they will nail down the paperwork.

The vehicle is a 2017 GMC Terrain SLE-1 with the 2.4 and 6 speed auto. It is a GMC Certified Pre-Owned vehicle so it comes with a couple perks having up to date maintenance and a better warranty.

More pics will come in time when I get to detail it, but here are a few.

IMG_1615.JPG

IMG_1617.JPG

IMG_1618.JPG

IMG_1619.JPG

IMG_1616.JPG

IMG_1620.JPG

Good luck with it. That 2.4 engine is a failure-prone, oil-guzzling nightmare.

I'd stay on top of 5k changes with synthetic oil, and keep an eye on the level.

Sorry to be negative, the rest of the vehicle is very nice, and I do like them.

Originally Posted by addyguy

I know the earlier ones had issues, seems they have been ironed out for the most part for the 2016-2017 model years. Same could be said for the Honda Accord 2008-2010, 2011-2012 seems to be fine. I know mine is.

At any rate, I will keep up with the oil changes for them. With the appropriate Dexos synthetic of course.

Apparently our Equinox didn't get that memo. But hey, you read it on the internet, so it must be true.

Originally Posted by Fawteen

Apparently our Equinox didn't get that memo. But hey, you read it on the internet, so it must be true.

How many miles on your Equinox? How has it treated you?

Your mom wanted a black car with black interior in Florida? Better get the windows tinted.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Good looking vehicle! Looks great in black! Are those similar to the Acadias?

I agree, the black paint and wheel combo long with tinted windows makes this look sharp! No, the Acadia is the next size up. This is equivalent to the Equinox.

Originally Posted by loneryder
Your mom wanted a black car with black interior in Florida? Better get the windows tinted.

She likes how the color looks but is aware of the negative aspects as well. The A/C performs very well thankfully.

Yeah, seriously. I had a black car with beige interior, fully tinted, when I lived in FL, and I struggled with it. Can't imagine what black on black would be like, but at least it's not leather.

I had a very early build (March 2009) 2010 MY. Had almost a whole engine rebuilt at 58k miles just inside powertrain warranty. But it was otherwise good until we traded it in 2006 at 96k miles. Post 2013 MY should be fine. There is actually a class action suit going on now that I just got a letter about covering 2010 through halfway 2013 model years.

It was showing its age a bit... tailgate rust (lived in KY the whole time and I kept it waxed), rusted tailgate struts that I already had replaced once, but otherwise just normal maintenance (brakes, belt, fluids). But should not tust like that in less than 7 years in KY. Easiest oil change ever on that 2.4. Changed the oil every 6k miles with synthetic, used a bit but not much.

I have been a lot more impressed with the build quality of our 2014 Edge than the 2010 Equinox, though my 2018 F150 has been problematic.

Originally Posted by wallyuwl

I had a very early build (March 2009) 2010 MY. Had almost a whole engine rebuilt at 58k miles just inside powertrain warranty. But it was otherwise good until we traded it in 2006 at 96k miles. Post 2013 MY should be fine.

It was showing its age a bit... tailgate rust (lived in KY the whole time and I kept it waxed), rusted tailgate struts that I already had replaced once, but otherwise just normal maintenance (brakes, belt, fluids). But should not tust like that in less than 7 years in KY. Easiest oil change ever on that 2.4.

I have been a lot more impressed with the build quality of our 2014 Edge than the 2010 Equinox, though my 2018 F150 has been problematic.

Good to hear the rest of the car was relatively problem free. Not good to hear about rust problems though. Hopefully that isn't a widespread issue.

Seems like a lot of vehicle to lug around with a N/A 4 banger. I'm sure it's okay for most people though and the gas mileage should be better than most.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
Seems like a lot of vehicle to lug around with a N/A 4 banger. I'm sure it's okay for most people though and the gas mileage should be better than most.

It is responsive enough for most people's needs.

I had a 2012 'Nox 2.4. Never had a problem with the engine. I know the intake valves were getting gunked up from super short trips. Do a drain and refill on the trans too. There is no filter you can change, it's inside and not serviced. Looks nice!!! Hope your Mom enjoys it!!!

Originally Posted by oldhp
I had a 2012 'Nox 2.4. Never had a problem with the engine. I know the intake valves were getting gunked up from super short trips. Do a drain and refill on the trans too. There is no filter you can change, it's inside and not serviced. Looks nice!!! Hope your Mom enjoys it!!!

Trans fluid should have been changed, part of the CPO program. Trying to confirm with dealer.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

Yeah, seriously. I had a black car with beige interior, fully tinted, when I lived in FL, and I struggled with it. Can't imagine what black on black would be like, but at least it's not leather.

my sister was vehicle shopping recently, mostly GM products - wanted and ended up buying a malibu - finding one WITHOUT a black interior was the hardest part.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

Man, I've owned Black, Silver, White, Red, cloth, leather, it doesnt really matter. I'd take a black car with ceramic tint over a white car and metallic film any day.

The overnight test drive works again, if they get it in your driveway they've got ya! If mom likes it who's to argue?

It's hard to find a car with something other than a black interior any more. You'd be surprised how many black on black vehicles you see around in Az including Phoenix, people make it work somehow.

Hope your parents have good luck with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back